Welcome to the world Freddie!

Purple Poirot

Mum to Freddie
Reaction score
Gorgeous Freddie Neil has joined the world! Born 12.15am on Tuesday 12th Oct, weighing 8lb 5.

Here's how..

Woke up to contractions and a bloody show 4am Monday morning, my boyfriend Mike wasn't sure whether or not to go to work (we've had a lot of false starts, this one felt more real but we couldn't quite believe it!) so I rang the hospital for advice, they said there was no need to rush in as contractions were only 10-12 mins apart at that point, so Mike decided to go work. However 6am my waters broke, I rang hospital back and they told me to come in. We were there by 7am, the midwife took a sample of my waters and confirmed it was amniotic fluid, she then left us to it in a private room and said that we needed to wait til the contractions were 3 minsutes apart before labour was 'established'. They didn't regulate for hours, we were so bored, Mike bought himself a paper and me a magazine but I couldn't read it, far too much pain to concentrate, and in the end we decided to go home. I just needed something to take my mind off it.

We left the hospital at about 3.30pm, and were home by 4 - probably a mistake, as soon as we got in the contractions progressed quickly, they were extremely painful and were coming every 4-5 minutes. After an hour or so with the tens machine I decided I couldn't do it any more without gas & air, I was literally screaming the house down, so we decided to go back in - we were back at hospital by 7pm. The midwife gave me an examination and said I was 6-7cm dilated so I decided to get into the pool - getting into the water was probably one of the nicest feelings of my life. It didn't last, 2 mins later a contraction hit and it was just as painful if not more than the previous! I was in the pool for about 2 hours, the contractions were getting so painful I couldn't breathe through them so the m/w said it was time to push, I started to push but nothing happened. After a long time the m/w suggested we changed tact, she thought a bit of gravity might help, I got out of the pool and then spent the next 2 hours pushing on the birthing stool. The baby's head kept making a slight appearance but then going back in - I was absolutely exhausted, it got to 11pm and my body just gave in. By this point I was pretty much out of it on gas & air, and started to pass out from the pain, I don't remember much after that. It was decided that the baby wasn't coming out without any intervention, I was rushed upstairs to the labour ward where they monitored the baby's heart rate and realised it was dropping quite rapidly. They gave me an internal and discovered that I wasn't fully dilated, I had basically spent 4 hours pushing against cervix which is why baby wasn't coming out. Baby had started to go into shock so a decision was made at that point to give me a c-section. Before they did that, they needed to take fluid from the baby's head to find out why his heart rate was dropping so much - they put my legs in stirrups and I just remember someone going, 'Change of plan! We have a head!!' - somehow the stirrups had done the trick, baby managed to get round the bend and another 15 mins of the most agonsing pushing of my life, Freddie was born! I had to have an epesiotomy but would much rather that to a c-sec so it didn't bother me.

He was blue when he came out and they had to spend 5 minutes resuscitating him, I was out of it so didn't really realise what was going on but Mike was in absolute bits after seeing me go through all that and then watching Fred being resuscitated. Thankfully he was absolutely fine, I then had 90 minutes of skin to skin with him and he fed for 45 minutes which was absolutely amazing.

We came home lunchtime on Wednesday and have been having so much fun ever since! I love my new little family :happydance:

congrats :) :) you must be over the moon to finally have your little one :) im so jealous haha!! xx

Glad all worked out in the end and you're both well! congratulations hun, and well done!! x

congratulations Tess :) he is such a cutie!!! u did so well :flower: x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"