Welcome to the World - Sofia Joy!!

beccybobeccy

Reaction score
Well I never actually made it into spontaneous labour despite the constant ball bouncing and nipple tweaking. So on Friday 28th January I got the call to go to the hospital for induction.

We were given a private room on the ward, given a tour and then settled ourselves in for the long haul. I was checked over and turns out the sweep on the Wednesday still hadn’t done anything and I was only dilated 1cm still. I had the first prostin inserted and that was it. Wait.

About 3 hrs later, now about 2.30pm, I started getting back and upper leg pain, it was pretty mild, not dissimilar to strong period pains and definitely manageable. The Midwife told me this was “Prostin Pains” rather than it necessarily meaning that labour was starting. Fine. I can deal with this. Half an hour later the TEN’s machine goes on because the pain had got decidedly worse. (Prostin Pains still huh? Okay. I’ll take you at your word.)

At 6pm I was due the second Pessary and I was now REALLY uncomfortable but because they couldn’t decide whether I was already being “stimulated” by the pains or not the Midwife on the ward decided to wait until 8/9pm and reassess me and then make a decision as to whether I would be given another overnight. The shift changed at 8pm and they didn’t really assess the situation they just decided to do the second Pessary anyway despite me now being in absolute agony with the Tens Machine in pieces on the floor. (Totally did not work for me!) Still only dilated 1cm and still not contracting I felt completely ridiculous and wimpish and I was now completely dreading what would come later. This didn’t really help induce positive labour vibes. My birthplan, already with one foot out the door as a result of induction, was now in smithereens as I began demanding the epidural. At 1cm.

Epidural was no go as it’s not really recommended when you are not actually in labour but I was offered Pethidine. I had been militant about not wanting Pethidine in labour throughout my pregnancy but I now genuinely believe that may just be bad press and women not being given it at sensible times. I have to believe this to make it okay that I agreed to it. LOL! I was willing to try anything at this time to make this pain ease. As I was only 1cm and it would wear off in 6 hours I was willing to try anything. Especially as they assured me no effect on Falcon. Gimme.

So Pethidine was rubbish in easing the pain. It just made me sleepy and dozy between the pains which were now coming every 2 minutes for about 30-45 seconds. So I was nodding off for approximately 1 minute before the hideous pains returned again with me growling in agony at it.

Now I don’t know why but at 11.30pm I let Giuseppe go home. I think we both felt that nothing was going to happen overnight despite the nightmarish pains. Also I was still at 1cm (and had been for about a month) and they weren’t registering the pains as contractions. We both felt that if at least he had some energy the next day he would be better prepared to support me if I eventually did find myself in labour.

The pain was terrible and I couldn’t believe this still wasn’t it. It radiated in my bum, thighs and back so badly. Every one made me growl in agony for the minute or so it continued for. The pain never went anywhere near my bump. I carried on alone until I thought I was going to pass out. During every wave of pain I thought, “This can’t be right, “I’m going to call the Midwife” but when I got the other side the Pethidine made me not care about it anymore. This carried on until about 3am when the Pethidine started to wear off and I thought I was going to pass out. I beeped the Midwife feeling guilty for disturbing her. I still felt she wasn’t going to take me seriously because of the way she was just stood in the doorway watching me writhe in agony but she kindly agreed to examine me again. Cheers love.

The examination showed that “Yes, I was in Labour now”. I was also 7cm dilated and my waters had broken. Jolly Good. Shall we call my Fiancé back in? Yes. I think we ought. Luckily Giuseppe was coming into Delivery Suite as I got wheeled down so at least that panic was over. His face was panic stricken and completely freaking out. The contractions were much worse now. Giuseppe asked about the epidural I had been begging for earlier but the Midwife suggested that I’d got so far with just breathing that I should give Gas and Air a go first. Which I what I did. I know it’s a cliché but the Gas and Air was amazing and was really all I needed. It really messed with my perception of things and I think I overdid it on more than one occasion. Giu said that I was high as a kite in between contractions. At one point I asked the midwife about a sub-speciality in waxing, you know, whilst you are down there on “clean up”.

The Delivery Midwife was amazing. She was so supportive and listened to everything me and Giuseppe wanted. She was concerned that the baby would be large so I was encouraged to get into the best position for delivering a larger baby. Which I did.

Everything goes blurry then.

Sofia Joy was born at 7.53am Saturday 29th January 2011 weighing a whopping 6lb 12oz!! I think my placenta weighed more than she did.

The first week has been tough. Really tough. The 24/7 feeding has been gruelling, my stitches from the 2nd degree tear are painful and my hormones are a mess but she is utterly perfect and every time I see her I can’t believe she is ours. It makes my heart ache.
:cloud9:

121.JPG

Congratulations she is totally gorgeous!xx

Blimey, that's made me look forward to being induced :/ lol well done though, and congrats again :) xxx

lol @ waxing... congrats she is beautiful x

Congrats she's absolutely stunning! Great job :thumbup:

Congratulations on the birth of your beautiful daughter. xxx

You did amazingly well to do it without an epi. :)

Your story sounds very similar to mine hun. The midwives were convinvced I wasn't in labour for ages and the pains I was getting were so intense and about 1 minute apart too - I don't think they knew what they were talking about lol. Glad you made it through with just gas and air!! Its amazing wonder stuff isn't it?!? Congratulations hunny xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->