Well done to Working and Studying Mummy's!

C

Ceejay123

I've just had a 'friend' admit to me in all honesty that she got pregnant to get a better band for her house and more benefits.. Wow. Fair enough I understand that sometimes mummy's cant work etc due to childcare. Right now I'm on summer break from Uni, and I'm self employed. Up until a child is four I understand childcare can make it not worth it to go to work.

I want to say a big well done to all those young or surprised mums that have got themselves back on track after having their little ones :) I know it can be hard, but it'll be so much better in the future!

Too many mums I know have dropped college and uni due to their little ones and won't go back. I have two friends that have 5-6 year olds at school and one of them just got upset that her benefits will stop if she doesn't start work. I think it's just bugged me, needed to rant. They seem to think bringing up a child (that's at school) compensates for not working or trying to better themselves.

On the other hand I have a friend with two young kids that is studying and trying to work :) people like this make me very proud of mummy's x x

i did my degree as a single mum through the ou. after second year i then started working and worked for final two years...! am now back to uni in Sept for teacher training! i can see why childcare puts people off working. a termtime place here is 8k ish! however if you are on a low income i would imagine you get alot of help. when i went back to work i was about £30 a week better of than being obviously benefits and was working 23 hrs a week. alot of people don't see the point in working those hours when they can sit around and do nothing for pretty much the same money...!

Yeah the systems very messed up isn't it. I'd get so fed up sat doing nothing constantly though :/ like to keep busy x

i did too and when Chloe started nursery i started my degree cos couldn't afford childcare but couldn't face doing nothing each day!

i have always worked full time since i left school and when i fell pregnant with my first daughter i literally just finished studying/training whilst working fulltime, i took a years off maternity and have been in part time work ever since, after having my second daughter i went straight back to work when she was 8 weeks old, (i wasnt entitled to maternity pay) so i went back just two mornings a week (we were able to do this round my partners shifts (well with him using a lot of holiday days to book off if it fell on one of my working days for it to be able to work iykwim) My youngest daughter is starting pre-school in september meaning i can work more hours and i have just gained another morning plus some afternoons in a second job........i am fortunate to be able to work within school hours -term time and always be able to drop and pick up my girls to and from school. I have never been on benefits and very proud that myself and my husband work hard for what we have and that our daughters are growing up seeing this. i couldnt not work ......daytime tv- no thanks lol x

It's fxing hard!

I went to college ten days after Annabelle was born. I felt like a shit mom, and some of the looks and comments I got where even worse...but when I got my results last August I burst into tears because I was so proud of what I had achieved and I have to admit..I did rub it in my parents faces because they didn't believe I was going to do it.

Taking a year off this year has made me realise I am not mad to be a stay at home mom. I want a career, and I am going back to university in September to do medicine. Sure, I will miss out on a lot. Yes, i'm going to miss my daughter and this baby when they are born...but in another ten years when I am able to give them things I never had and we are able to do the things we want to do, it's all going to be worth it.

I pity people who think a life is having children just because they are able to claim more benefits :nope:. I don't really understand what has gone wrong in there lives that make them think its acceptable?

That isn't a bash at single moms or parents on a low income at all- thats different, and I take my hat off to you.

Definitely! Single Mums can't exactly go to work - Although I know some that do ! and well done to them. But when your child is 4-5 and at school... And you complain that your income support is stopping.. I just don't get it. I couldn't believe when my 20 year old friend told me she'd stopped contraception because she wanted a house as she couldn't stand living at home any more.

In october my LO will be 9 months old, I'm dreading it but I'm going back to Uni. He will have to go to nursery, which I feel so guilty about.. But when me and my partner graduate we'll be on £70k + between us, averaging 100k between us after 10 years. Its more than worth sitting on benefits and just struggling by sitting at home. After LO is at school of course! the first four years I can understand staying at home to be with them.x

I know I feel the same I really admire people who manage to do this! When I had dd I went back to work 3 days a week 3 months early because I was going crazy! I worked up until I was 29 weeks pregnant with ds, I only stopped then because I had spd and it was killing me on my feet all day. I had a family member looking after dd for me for free. Since having ds nearly 1 year ago I haven't worked - not through choice but because I a)couldn't find a job as I worked for my mum and she couldn't afford to keep me on and b) the childcare prices are stupid for 2 kids.

But thankfully I have gotten myself a HCA apprenticeship in the nhs which will be working full time with studying on top. My mum is closing her business and is going to mind the children for me. I'm so lucky! But I'm very scared to be returning to work after so long away from it and really scared of not seeing my babies 5 days a week but I need to do it for myself and as an example to my kids :)

Its going to be blumming hard though :-(

Im starting a degree with the OU in february hoping to have it done in 4years im so sick of sitting around all day and cant wait to do it so i can get a decent job to support LO. I know its gunna be hard but i think everyone should make the most of the few years they dont necerserily have to work full time. I wouldve started my degree earlier but have to wait until LO starts her 15 hours free nursery a week in january thanks to the new 2 year old pilot scheme else i would be waiting another year x

its very hard i have a 2 and half year old and a one year old, i started an ou course in sep 2011 when my son was only 2 months old, i finished this a few weeks ago and am awaiting my results, now i know i didnt do as good as i could have due to being a single parent to two chilldren whos dad only see's them for about 12 hours over two days a week in my house so i dont get any time to really concentrate but i kknow i have passed and im proud of that, i am starting an Access to higher education course at colllege in September as a stepping stone to doing midwifery at university. childcare is the hardest part, especially when i go to uni as i will be entitled to NO benefits and will have to pay for everything, house, rent, food, childcare, bills, travel all out of my student loan. it will be a struggle but i believe in showing my kids that they have to work hard in life and cant get everything handed to them for free. x

just realised im on my mums logging as she was on my computer last night lmao ow well x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->