• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Well I didn't know that!

LittleBoo

Intactivist Mummy!
Reaction score
Hmm, so browsing and reading comments on blogs/articles, and come across a post about the name Jemima, which to me is merely a pretty name, or certain puddleduck. I had absolutely no idea about the history/racial connotation behind it! :shock: is it still a pretty offensive name/term in the US (or elsewhere) these days?

I've just looked to find out what you're on about and can't find anything. What did you find?

It's about Aunt Jemima, and there's also Uncle Tom (I'm sure it's Tom?)

Racial connotations for black women/men xx

Okay but isn't that a brand of syrup too?

It's actually derived from that particular brand.. Look it up it will tell you why it is used. Not sure it's appropriate to post that on here.

Oh ! We were going to call one of my twins Jemima, but they turned out to be boys !

Okay read it get it. Funny that the same didn't happen with the name Tom if that was the male equivalent x

Jem which subforum should I use? o_O If all else fails, use GC.

I've just never heard of it, like, ever! It was one of my favourite names as a child, and it really blew me away that in certain places it would be a big no no. Sorry for any offense?

Jem which subforum should I use? o_O If all else fails, use GC.

I've just never heard of it, like, ever! It was one of my favourite names as a child, and it really blew me away that in certain places it would be a big no no. Sorry for any offense?

I think she meant the explanation isn't suitable to post on the forum at all in case it does cause offence xx

That's odd because Aunt Jemima used to be Mrs Butterworth until recent years so i wonder why they changed it.

That's odd because Aunt Jemima used to be Mrs Butterworth until recent years so i wonder why they changed it.

I don't think it was. When I looked it up there was no mention of that and having looked it up again there's a lot of which do you prefer things floating around so it looks like they're two seperate things. And Aunt Jemima's dates back to the late 1800s. The pancake mix came out in like 1889. And it looks like Mrs butterworth's didn't start until the 1960s. But I think they're both owned by the same company x

Is it similar to the golly?
To some white people its a cute black character on a jam jar that can't possibly be racist but I imagine black people don't see it that way!

Don't even get me started on gollywogs arghhhh! I didn't know the name itself was considered so racially charged but I do find it kinda shocking that products with such blatant connotations to racism in the past are still present in a so-called 'post racial' society - like Uncle Bens and Aunt Jemima.

Don't even get me started on gollywogs arghhhh! I didn't know the name itself was considered so racially charged but I do find it kinda shocking that products with such blatant connotations to racism in the past are still present in a so-called 'post racial' society - like Uncle Bens and Aunt Jemima.

Last year, my and dh were in a cafe in town and saw a little white girl of maybe 3 holding a golly... Our eyes nearly popped out of heads, if not seen one in ages and with leicester being so multicultural I'm suprised people hadn't given her abuse!

You can still get gollys where I'm from. I didn't think you could get them anymore then I went to a shop down the beach and there they were x

Last year, my and dh were in a cafe in town and saw a little white girl of maybe 3 holding a golly... Our eyes nearly popped out of heads, if not seen one in ages and with leicester being so multicultural I'm suprised people hadn't given her abuse!

Oh god and the poor kid had no idea! Honestly if someone gave Ivy a golly as a present I would hand it straight back to them, I don't care how rude that seems! I hate when people get all offended and precious about not being 'allowed' to have gollywogs anymore, is it so terrible that it isn't socially acceptable to own something that directly rooted from our racist past?!

Im so clueless about all this stuff.
I knew gollys were racist, but don't know why. (I will google)
I never knew of aunt jemima (is this an american brand, dont think ive seen it in uk) or Uncle Bens though :/

Oh god and the poor kid had no idea! Honestly if someone gave Ivy a golly as a present I would hand it straight back to them, I don't care how rude that seems! I hate when people get all offended and precious about not being 'allowed' to have gollywogs anymore, is it so terrible that it isn't socially acceptable to own something that directly rooted from our racist past?!

I'm not sure alot of people would know the connotations behind them though, they'd maybe see it no different to having a black dolly ?
I've had this convo with a customer before who was trying to find some golly figurines. She couldn't get why a black person could be offended. I've no idea if all would take offense, I'm white/British so who am I to speak on behalf of another person but I know why they would iykwim

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->