Well ladies I may be joining you

Gizmo

Reaction score
I am currently in my 26th week and baby is measuring behind 10 - 14 days..head is measuring on target almost.... this has been apparent since my 16 week US.... he was measuring correct on my NT scan at 11w4d....... so somewhere in there he decided to go on his own speed. I have had 2 level 2 US and they were clear.... we opted out of amnio because of the risk and our level 2s put us in screen neg. The DRs are classing him as SGA but if he drops further then IUGR...... They are trying to get me to 35 weeks but have suggested its the placenta not working at fullsteam (AMA)..... and they will bring him out after steroids if it gets any worse (3weeks behind)
So here I am.... dont really know whether this is where I will spending my days but I am soaking up all the info I can get about preemies.... I think it will be less of a shock if I know exactly what they will be doing and what all the terminology means :)
Any help with info would be gladly appreciated and anyone going through this, my thoughts are with you and your little fighters :)

Hi there

I had placenta problems, mine wasn't getting a decent bloodflow from me to feed the baby (my side had the problem). IUGR wasn't particularly picked up at our standard 12 & 20wk u/sounds, but the placenta problem was spotted at a research scan at 21 weeks and I was on regular growth scans after that.

At 28 weeks they thought things might have to happen soon, so I received steroid jabs to prepare the baby's lungs. A week later, there was reduced movement, and so an emergency section was carried out at 29+1wks.

Andrew was born weighing 638g - 1lb 6oz - the second smallest seen in the unit, and a very severe case of IUGR.

I am telling you this because Andrew is now six months old and doing just fine :happydance: He spent 11 weeks on NICU and was discharged just two days after his original due date, by that time he was weaned off oxygen and was bottle-feeding successfully. He is still very small, weighing just 9lb now. His only prematurity-related disorder is that he has hearing problems on one side, they think the auditory nerve didn't develop properly.

I've got a thread in here with the full story, photos etc. Dona's baby Brooke is another case of an extremely small baby, and she tells a really good story too.

Please keep us updated with your progress, and don't hesitate to ask us questions - there's no such thing as a stupid question.

Thankyou Marleysgirl! Andrew is adorable!! Congrats on a special little boy :)
My placenta seems on US to be working but they cannot find another reason for his size and they are assuming its because of my age. He is growing and now im on weekly US to make sure he keeps growing. He has the classical asymetrical IUGR with the brain sparing effect hence his head is almost correct for his gestation. He is very active and that keeps me from worrying too much but I now dread the US findings when I used to love seeing him on the screen. If it comes to steroids how long would I take them for and what exactly do they do?

I will keep an eye for little Andrews progress... what a sweetie :)

Oooh, are you a mature mummy too? I turned 40 while I was expecting Andrew!

Over here, we have two steroid jabs with a 24hr gap. I'm not sure exactly what they do, it's something to do with strengthening the baby's lungs ready for breathing air. They don't like to give them too early, they're best within 7 days of anticipated birth. I should warn you, they're pretty painful!

Please don't dread the u/sound scans. Look on them as chances to check that your baby is still okay, and additional opportunities to see your baby - most people only get to see their baby twice prior to birth (over here) whereas I got to see my baby every fortnight! I got them to print me extra scan photos too.

Lol yes, Im an older mom, a relic actually lol! 44 at present. We started trying when I was 40 but had MC then we went the IUI IVF route but im a poor responder.... we had actually given up on the last IVF only to get pregnant on our own the month after..... I have a 19 yr old and an 11 yr old from a previous marriage.
I had no problems with my previous pregnancies and all this has come as a bit of a shock really. But it stands to reason that my placenta isnt going to work like a 20/30 somethings, everything goes downhill eventually lol!

My DH does not have any children of his own and this is his first so hes petrified and feels he cant help his son.....
I put myself on baby aspirin because some studies suggest it helps and it cant hurt.

Thankyou for the info on the steroids.....Are those steroid shots Intramuscular? Gosh I hate those......but if they work I will love them :)

Really hoping he starts growing he was 1lb 6 oz last week so i guess hes not doing to bad on the weight side of it....

Thinking of you at this difficult time. I gave birth to my little girl when I was 26+3 weeks due to placenta abruption. She is 9 months now and thriving. Thankfully we had an uneventful journey through NICU/SCBU and when we got home, the only thing that knocked her for six when she got home was the Swine Flu jab, she might as well have had Swine Flu as she was so ill. Other than that she has been fine.
It is amazing what our little premmie babies can fight. I have everything crossed for you both!

x

Thinking of you at this difficult time. I gave birth to my little girl when I was 26+3 weeks due to placenta abruption. She is 9 months now and thriving. Thankfully we had an uneventful journey through NICU/SCBU and when we got home, the only thing that knocked her for six when she got home was the Swine Flu jab, she might as well have had Swine Flu as she was so ill. Other than that she has been fine.
It is amazing what our little premmie babies can fight. I have everything crossed for you both!

x

Thankyou!! I cant believe Emily was born at 26+3 the same as I am today! What a cutie! Im so happy for you she was a good weight when born. I cant imagine what all of you have gone through and find myself picturing how I will be ( a nervous wreck) if this happens. Its so relieving that while there are very sad stories, there are also happy endings and all your preemies are just proof of how resiliant life really is and how amazing these little peoples desires to to live are.

Hiya.
Everything for me was fine, no placenta problems, no amniotic fluid problems, Nothing at all. I just went into labour!!

I had just enough time to have the steroid injections! x

Hello

Just want to say good luck, I hope he stays put for a while yet and I hope all goes well for you:hugs:

Thankyou Grumpymoo!

I go in for another US tomorrow so hopefully hes grown in 1 week..... He was kicking me like crazy last night.. it actually hurt! So I know hes getting bigger lol.

Hoping baby stays in hun. Let us know how tomorrow goes x

Hi hun! When I was 32 weeks they suspected growth restriction because Carmie was measuring quite small, and at an US at 33 weeks they picked up what they thought was back flow in the umbilical cord. They booked us into the hospital for two days with the plan of delivering her within that time frame. Fortunately- thank God- it turned out to be a false alarm, and we were sent home. Carmen was born full term at 6 lbs. 1 oz., below 10th percentile for weight but perfectly healthy.

The steroid shots are intramuscular (is that the right word?), injected into the hip/bum area. I'm not going to lie- they hurt. If you need them, bring something to squeeze in your hand but keep your body as relaxed as possible. Please don't fear your ultrasounds- I know it's nerve-racking but you deserve to cherish those glimpses into your baby's world as much as any other mom. I will pray for you that your baby keeps growing and stays in, and for a healthy and fat baby whenever your LO comes out. :hugs:

Hi hun! When I was 32 weeks they suspected growth restriction because Carmie was measuring quite small, and at an US at 33 weeks they picked up what they thought was back flow in the umbilical cord. They booked us into the hospital for two days with the plan of delivering her within that time frame. Fortunately- thank God- it turned out to be a false alarm, and we were sent home. Carmen was born full term at 6 lbs. 1 oz., below 10th percentile for weight but perfectly healthy.

The steroid shots are intramuscular (is that the right word?), injected into the hip/bum area. I'm not going to lie- they hurt. If you need them, bring something to squeeze in your hand but keep your body as relaxed as possible. Please don't fear your ultrasounds- I know it's nerve-racking but you deserve to cherish those glimpses into your baby's world as much as any other mom. I will pray for you that your baby keeps growing and stays in, and for a healthy and fat baby whenever your LO comes out. :hugs:

Thankyou! I am so happy for you that all turned out well :)

The US showed he is growing at the same rate and I have another next Thursday. Regardless of the SGA they want to deliver me at 36-37 weeks as long as his lungs look good. I think they are mainly panicking because of my age at this point, I am also a bit nervous in case my placenta doesnt hold out that long. If he slows down though they will get him out. So for now its a wait and see. My DR said I will see him before or on May 14th :) I am just hoping he doesnt have to spend time in NIC. They were talking about a stress test but I thought they didnt do those untill 32 weeks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->