well they said hes fat

cupcake

Mommy of a gorgeous boy!
Reaction score
i was at the baby clinic for the 5 month shots and they weighed LO
hes 8kg 400 grams, which is just under the 95th percentile and is also very long. Well his dad is very tall and big so im not surprised. Anyway they asked what im feeding him like they do everytime and i said im feeding the breast milk only and rice cereal. and they thought i said real rice-honestly :dohh:
anyway so then i said no rice cereal and they asked me why i am doing this?
so i said coz he really likes to be at the table with us and shows an interest (point blank stares) in food. So they told me that i should stop the rice cereal because hes a almost in the overweight percentile and there is no need for it.
I can start orange vegetables in two weeks if i want. But the rice will just puff him up. They said i should start with healthy eating habits right from this early age.
I didnt know wether to :rofl: or :cry:
My gut feeling is this is all :wacko: but do you think there is anything to this?

um.. my boy was the same weight at 5 months and also long and he is on rice cereal in the morning, fruit at midday and veggies at night. He is not fat, he is just a big boy. I was actually told last night that I'm not feeding him enough rice cereal!

Sigh...

HV are txtbook monsters! They 9 times outta 10 do not have kids so have no own experiences. A little secret about the percentiles they are based on information from world war 2 and have never been adapted to the modern day so as food milk etc has now got better nutrients etc it doesn't take any of it into account.

If baba is 'overweight' surely he'd be over the 100% mark ????? Do what you think is best! If he didn't want it he wouldn't eat it babies are very good at telling you they do NOT want something.

You are doing a great job to have a happy bouncy baby boy.

My little girl is on the 25% and they tell me she is too small yet she is following the curve perfectly.

GOOD LUCK xxxxx

P.s If you get really mad with them stop going and put him on your scales at home lol!

What rubbish!! if hes tall aswell then hes not fat. does his height and weight percentiles nearly match? if so then hes fine.
You carry on doing as you are. I wouldnt just cut out his rice after you have already started. he could even be going trough a growth spurt.

trust ur instinct and if you feel hes ok, then carry on. Mum knows best x

He will be getting way more calories and fat from the breastmilk then from the cereal. And that is not a bad thing. i was reading something yesterday about the fat the body lays down from breastmilk is somehow different then formula, and once the baby is active it tends to melt off quickly. I will have to do a search and see if I can find it again. Anyway, if your baby is happy and physically active, then I say fuck'em!

He will be getting way more calories and fat from the breastmilk then from the cereal. And that is not a bad thing. i was reading something yesterday about the fat the body lays down from breastmilk is somehow different then formula, and once the baby is active it tends to melt off quickly. I will have to do a search and see if I can find it again. Anyway, if your baby is happy and physically active, then I say fuck'em!

Agree!

Agree!

Agree!

They not doubt used the growth chart specific for formula fed infants. BF babies tend to do just as your baby is doing... pack on the growth, then not do much growing for a while.

Sharlotte hung out at 16 lbs for nearly 6 weeks before making her latest big growth spurt. Plus you said baby was also very long for his age. When weight and length move in tandem, I think there is less to worry about for both large AND small babies. Some babies don't grow as fast - and some are growing juggernauts.

If it were me, I'd keep their advice in the back of my mind - but go on as usual ;)

:hug:

HV are full of crap. All they seeem to woory about is if the lo is following the correct line.

If he's a hungry boy then you're doing no harm giving him a bit of rice.

With my 3 rd lo I ignored HV completely my darling girl was starving & needed soilds, I knew she was ready, she was waking every 3-4 hours for a feed @ night when she'd been sleeping through. Bit of rice & was as happy as again.
Kept with rice cereal/baby rice until she was nearly 6 months then started on veg & fruit.

My 2nd baby was a total chubby baby. Her legs were little rolls of fat. Looking @ pics of her now I can't believe what a little chunky chimp she was. Once she was active though she burnt it all off, and now is pretty slim althought quite musclely.

Once he finds his feet he will be fine.

Also as someone else suggested if his height is on the same percentilethen I wouldn't be worried at all.

My DS was 95th for height & 25th for weight, but our current HV wasn't worried as daddy is tall ( used to be a bean pole) as was his grandad.

Ignore them babe.

So long as he's happy then I wouldn't give a stuff.

I was breastfed as a baby at my 6 month check up I was 28lbs... so I wouldn't feel so bad. They told my mom to stop feeding me too!

1 hv told me Jasmine was overweight and shes 9months and weighed 17lb 12

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->