went to visit a daycare

cupcake

Mommy of a gorgeous boy!
Reaction score
Well i decided that at 6 months i'll be putting LO into daycare as it getting really really hard to take him into class with me at college, and financially we need more income so the mornings at college i will have to get a part time job.

So anyway i had 3 options, government daycare which is 20 babies on 3 caregivers- NO WAY
Private babysitter- too expensive
Private daycare 5 babies in a small group at someones home.

So i chose the last option which is more expensive than public daycare but less than a private babysitter. Its a 5 minute walk from my house.
The lady has her 1.5 year old at home and an 8 month old she watches plus 1 baby who is joining in a few days who is 4 months, and one is to join in a couple of months who will be 3 months and then my baby who will be 6months.
The daycare is 7:30 am to 1:30 am with the option til 4. So i will do 3 days a week 7:30 am to 1:30 and then 2 days a week i need to 4 and she agree to take him from 11 am those days so it will be the same amount of hours or so as the other days. I only start college at 12 so i dont really need from 7:30.
She has 3 other kids 3,4,6 who come home at 1:30 and then 2 babies leave, so 2 days a week it will be 7 kids at home which i am a bit concerned about. Do you think this is a problem? I know the kids are older but they are not that old?
She has a nice big matress out with blankets for them to lie on and a play mat, and a bouncy seat on the floor and toys. The house was nice and clean.
She worked at a public daycare for 2 years before starting her own for the last 3 so i think she is experienced plus she has 4 kids. She seemed very warm and payed attention to little one. She provides the food as they are introduced to the different veg and fruit. I have to provide diapers, wipes, change of clothes , pacci and a blanket for him. That seemed reasonable.
The daycare goes to the first week of Aug but we pay the whole month of Aug, its called paying for vacation time, which is apparently the way its done here. I'll check that out but it seems okay i guess, teachers are paid for vacation too. My only other concern was that she has a tv and it was on, she does let them watch it, she puts on music for babies or a baby channel we have here, i dont mind if its a bit but i dont want him watching all day you know. The last worry was that she speaks French and Hebrew to the kids. Her native language is French and two of the babies are from French speaking homes, one is from a Hebrew speaking home and my LO will be from an English speaking home. I just dont want him to be confused. I have no problem with him learning to understand French, I just would prefer she speak to him in 1 language either French or Hebrew but maybe this is not such a problem. What do you guys think?

Sorry I rambled a bit :blush:

I don't think that the language will be a problem for him.Babies are like sponges and actually it'll do him good to learn another language,she'll probably speak to him in French and only speaks Hebrew to the one child that is from a Hebrew speaking home.

It looks good to me.:)

Lola will be going to a nursery when she's 10 months old,I had to sign her up while I was still pregnant! Crazy system...:wacko:

I'm really dreading this, the good things are she's only 5 mins rom your house, she'll take your baby from 11am and she speaks french which is cool but how many babies under one will she be looking after at any one time, it seems a lot.
Have you tried looking for other childminders or is she the best you've seen.

I'm really dreading this, the good things are she's only 5 mins rom your house, she'll take your baby from 11am and she speaks french which is cool but how many babies under one will she be looking after at any one time, it seems a lot.
Have you tried looking for other childminders or is she the best you've seen.

thats the ratio here, 5 to 1 at that age.
i know it seems a lot, at the public one tho is 3 on twenty, sigh
to be honest i havent really gone anywhere else, i tried finding a private babysitter but it was too expensive. the age bracket is 3 months to 1.5 years, so in other groups he could perhaps be one of the younger ones but that comes with other problems too you know like the other kids bashing him up and stuff.

Is she a childminder? I always got told that they can only have 1 who is under 1 year, but maybe that differs in places, hope you find the best one for you honey xx

I agree with Jazzy here, I too thought there were limits. I just googled and came across this:

The Children's Act allows a childminder to look after no more than three children under five with only one of those children being under a year. If the children are older a childminder can look after a total of six children under eight, as long as no more than three are under five years old. This figure includes the carer's own child or children. The local authority has a right to set a limit to the number of minded children over the age of eight.

So she's definitely breaking some rules. And I think she probably isn't registered with the correct authorities either. To be honest, the fact she has that many young children I find really off putting. If one of them is slightly under the weather she will not be able to look after the rest of them as well on her own.

I personally would look for someone else.

--Edit--
That's assuming you're in the UK

I'd be really happy for my LO to be in a care setting where English wasnt spoken. I'd be pleased that they'd be bi-lingual - like Amy says, they soak it all up so easy. My hubby's friend and his wife both teach languages and they both speak to their kids in different languages specifically so they learn to be fluent from the time they said their first words.

If you like the set up, it would be a selling point to me :)

She's in the middle east according to her profile - different regulations maybe??

She's in the middle east according to her profile - different regulations maybe??

Yeah could be! I thought there may be different regulations in different places :)

yeah she isnt breaking any rules where i live its allowed 5 babies on 1 caregiver. i am just really concerned about her other kids coming home at 1:30 pm aged 3,4,6. so then it will be

Her kids ages 3,4,6, 1.5 and two babies under a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->