What advice have you been given about foetal movement?

Cattia

Reaction score
I had my 28 week appointment today and I asked the midwife about movement as some days baby is more active than others. She gave me a sheet about monitoring movement and said that as long as you get ten movements over the course of a day then that's OK. However a few weeks ago a friend of mine shared a link to the 'count the kicks' website which is aimed at increasing awareness of foetal movement, and they say you shouldn't count movements but should always report a change. So I'm just wondering what advice you've been given? Do you call in whenever baby has a quieter day, or do you count movements?

It is monitoring your baby and what is normal and what is not normal for your baby. You aren't advised to kick count any more but just to monitor your babies movements. Say for example your baby is usually very active rolling around kicking hours on end and then one day gives you one kick without any sign of it increasing, that needs checking out.
For example my daughter never moved very much but if i sat down for two hours tried the usual sugary drink/ cold/ hot drink something to eat and she still didn't move I would go and get checked in the hospital. Hope that's a bit more clearer x

I think they say ten movements a day is a minimum because even energetic babies have very sleepy days x

Thanks, it's just confusing as I also heard that kick counting isn't recommended any more but the latest advice from the NHS is obviously still to kick count?

Ive been told any change in lo movements as all babies are different.
Rather than kick couting I know when he's more active and more quiet so if his routine was to change from the normal movements I was to phone mw.
Hope this helps x

No kick counting here just any changes in movement to be monitored or no response to things that would otherwise get baby to move.

Xx

My m/w told me that any change in baby's movement's to get checked and so glad I listened as I had to have an emergency section due to fetal distress at 38 weeks. I'm so glad I went to get checked. Xx

My midwife told me that as long as I'm feeling consistent movement, I'm ok. She said there may be more or less active days, or the movement may feel stronger or weaker based on his position, but if I'm feeling it, I'm good. Once you learn baby's patterns, you'll have a good idea of what's normal. If I'm ever concerned, I plan to drink something sugary or caffeinated and get into a position I feel him in most, and do a more traditional kick count.

Just get to know your baby's own pattern. Kick counting isn't recommended any more. As long as you report any changes to your own baby they will take it seriously.

Mine was a week on, week off kind of baby! Now I feel it all the time as it's obviously taking up ALL the room.

I go to a prenatal clinic that has both doctors and midwives. I have had one doctor after me to do kick counts but I don't. I know this little guy's routine, he's very active from 7pm on... So I am guessing he will be on the outside too! The other doctors and midwives have just asked if there is any abnormal movement. This is my third, so I am much more relaxed and know what to expect more so than my first :)

you know your baby they dont all have a perfect pattern but you know how active they usually are if you get to a certain time and think baby hasnt moved much or you are at all concerned lay down and have a cold drink if nothing happens ring mw or labour ward better to go in and be checked
you know your baby best so if something feels wrong ring

It's all about pattern. My LO goes most of the day without much more than a bit of wiggling, but then at night when I lay down and early in the morning she's doing some form of karate in there. If you compare your baby to others babies, you'll do nothing but worry. As others have said, just learn when your baby is active and when he/she isn't. Some of us have lazy babies while others have kick boxers. It's the consistency/pattern that's most important, not the number.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->