What age did you start the switch to cows milk?

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by VikkiD, Jun 11, 2013.

1. VikkiD

VikkiD Well-Known Member

Lo is over 11 months now and I am thinking of starting to switch him over go cows milk just wondering what ages you started and also thoughts on follow on milk? Thanks

2. Jemma0717

Jemma0717 Mommy to Landon & Liliana

I am wondering this as well but really don't want to use cows milk. I am wondering what else I should try and when to start weaning

3. Leids

Leids Mommy :)

He wasn't really switched over since he's still primarily breastfed, but we started giving him cups of whole milk around 11 1/2 months (maybe a bit later, but before 12 months). He likes it, but doesn't guzzle or go nuts over it or anything. Usually just has a couple of ounces here and there with meals.

4. fairydust87

fairydust87 Mummy & Noah <3

11.5 months when forumla and bottles went in the bin. Good luck x

5. girl friday

girl friday Mummy to 2 gorgeous boys

We started at 12 months. In terms of follow-milk, my HV said they are not necessary if LO is having a healthy, varied diet. She said that one of the reasons formula companies make them is because they cannot advertise products to children under 6 months. By making follow-on milk, they can advertise the brand and (indirectly) the fact that it's not the first milk available.

ETA: I'm not criticising FF, just repeating what my HV with DS1 said about follow on milk.

6. Noelle610

Noelle610 Guest

We started gradually making the switch at around 10.5 months with the intent of being fully on whole milk at 1 year old.

You can use other full fat milks. My understand is that coconut is best nutritionally speaking with almond milk as second best. Soy milk and goats milk are somewhat controversial at the moment and I'm sure other moms on BnB could give you the pros/cons.

7. Seity

Seity Mom to Gabriel and Samuel

I waited until just before my son turned 1 and switched him then because the formula container had run out and it seemed silly to buy another one, just for 1 week.

"It&#8217;s recommended that you limit the amount of cow&#8217;s milk that your child receives (possibly other milks too, except breastmilk) to 2-3 cups (16-24 ounces) per day. Too much cow&#8217;s milk in a child&#8217;s diet can put him at risk for iron-deficiency anemia (because milk can interfere with the absorption of iron) and decrease the child&#8217;s desire for other foods."
    https://kellymom.com/nutrition/milk/milk-supplements/

8. Amy2701

Amy2701 Mummy of 2

Started half cows milk half formula at 11 months. By 12 months she was fully switched to cows milk. X

9. mrsbeano

mrsbeano Well-Known Member

We started about a week ago. He doesn't seem to notice any difference. Now to transition to a sippy cup...

10. rebeccalouise

rebeccalouise Well-Known Member

we started around 11 months, she didn't notice any difference so it was easy to switch from formula to normal milk.

11. beanzz

beanzz Mama to 2

At 12 months :)

12. Gc85

Gc85 Well-Known Member

Just doing it now, she's had 50/50 formula/cows milk tonight (shes had formula only at night since about 11 months, shes has cows on cereal and in a sippy with breakfast) I'll just keep upping the cows milk until the tin of formula runs out.