What are Skylanders?

T

Toms Mummy

My son's 4th birthday is in a couple of week's time and I've just got a call off my MIL saying that she has bought him some Skylander figures and clothing. I have no idea what they are and neither does my son! All I know is that they are some sort of garish creature.

So I said to her that Tom doesn't need things like that and that it's probably best just to take them back to the shop..... Am I being a bit sensitive to it, is it something he will proably get in to at some point? Is it a cartoon or a game or something?

We are quite minimalist in our household as we have a small house and hate clutter so we don't have lots of stuff and my son doesn't have lots of toys.... Don't get me wrong, they're not all wooden, he has things like avengers action figures, disney cars figures, Fireman sam engines, brio train set, a playmobil farm an some dinosaurs. He is happy :)..... We also will never go down the computer game route as me and OH never did. Plus I hate clothes with characters on! I have accepted graciously in the past from MIL firemand sam and gruffalo outfits but Tom has never worn them!

What do you think?

Hiya...well my son came hoe a few months ago and insisted that i bought him skylanders..i actually bought him one of the figures and asked staff at toys r' us what the hell is the point of them :lol: If your LO has a wii/ds/playstation etc you can but a starter pack which includes the video game and a few figures alongsie a portal...on the portal you are supposed to put your skylander figures on their to make them come alive?! (i think some how the figures connect to the game and they come alive on screen iykwim?)

https://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9107258.htm

This link shows you the starter pack...if you can see at the side there is some kind of portal that the figures go on?

Tbh my son is 5 and only wanted them because he saw his friends with the figures...he doesnt have many computer gadgets either...we considere buying him the started pack for his DS but he really isnt as into it! (dont get me wrong some kids are huge fans!) Even the one figure he did buy is no where to be seen today!!...

Its tricky as it is the thought that counts when it comes to gifts...im terrible as i sometimes exchange toys that my son doesn'y like :blush: but most of the time people usually change it for me...maybe he could play with the skylander figures but not linked with a computer game?...i have to say though....the figures are not cheap!!

And with the clothes...could you not put them aside?...and hopefully he will grow out of them :lol: xx

Thanks Lady :) We don't have any games consoles so I guess they would be useless!

I know it's the thought that counts but she is the type just to buy something for the sake of it and not really know what it is or whether it's age approriate. Also, I think it's a bit strange for him to be introduced to a toy or character by his grandma, esp one like this.

Aww i know what you mean...its realy difficult isnt it...especially when they re very close family...its hard getting the message across without being offensive sometimes!!

I know it sounds cheeky but could you not exchange them for something he would prefer? x

Thanks!.... I've already asked her if she can take them back as I don't want LO getting in to them, which she's okay with as she has a tendancy to just buy stuff randomly and then my OH tells her off for buying him crap :haha:..... I usually leave it down to my OH who is good with her, but he's away at work so felt bad having to do it!

We are not ungrateful, we just have to deal with her sending and buying him stuff all the time and it just gets really tedious! Every year I ask her not to go overboard with presents at christmas and birthdays but she does so I said this year to only buy him 3 presents. Well we turned up at her house and there were about 20!!.... She said she'd bought in 3 categories!.... She bought him like 7 dinosaurs! 1 would have been enough!

families hey :lol: You don't sound ungrateful at all hun...we have all been there xx

kelburn 001.jpg

This is a Skylander! Charlie got this for his birthday but we're just using it for dress up cos I have no clue what Skylanders are either :haha:

They're a sotto game for the xbox, you get this platform thing that plugs in then you put the figures on so you can play the game with the characters, we sold loads at Argos, they'd be completely useless if you don't have an xbox though :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->