What are year old premmies doing?

clairec81

Reaction score
Hi just a wee post to help stop me stressing! My daughter Erin turns 1 on Christmas Eve and i'm not sure how far behind with development she is. She was 7 weeks early but had bad pregnancy so she was v small and had some issues initially. She is still v small but this was due to a pda which had gone undiscovered and she had surgery 3 weeks ago. She only 13lb's! I'm not sure if her weight holds her back or not. She can sit unaided but is a wee bit wobbly. She does not crawl and is no where near - she does however walk EVERYWHERE holding hands and is good at it. She babbles but her voice had suffered since surgery (may have paralysed vocal cords or may just be the stress of ventilator) and is making no attempts at sounds like mum or dad etc . She is eating better since surgery but is not up for lumps but happy to finger feed with things like skips/wotsits/biscuits etc. She plays well with toys and transfers from hand to hand. I am so proud of her and know just how far she has come but i have had to push the docs every step of the way and don't want to miss any development probs. We have another baby in my OH's family who is 9 months and crawling and the inevitable comparisons are drawn and comments made constantly which drives me mad! Thanks girls!

Connor was 5 weeks early but only 2lb 11 1/2 oz. He was only just sitting unaided at his first birthday. He is now 16 months and walks everywhere if you hold his hands, he can walk with a push-along walker too. He has never crawled but can get across the room by bum shuffling.

He says mama, dadda, nana, but randomly. He can wave, clap and shake his head (no) and high five (!) if you ask him.

He is still only 15lbs ish and our consultants are being cautious about his weight and referring for tests to see why he hasn't caught up more than they think he should have. We are waiting on genetic chromosome testing and are getting referred to an endocrinologist too. I think they are just covering themselves, his development is great and he is a bright happy boy.

Hey claire
Alex is going on 15 months corrected and cant talk. She makes noises but nothing like mama or anything. At a year she was wobbily sitting, does her army crawl(still does!) and attempted to stand at everything.

If you reeeeally want me to compare, well, against alex and two of my friends preemies, erins doin better ;)

hope yous have a fab xmas and erin is gonna be spoilt rotten im sure!
You are welcome to join us at the bliss groups, i think foogirl is setting up one your way and theres the edinburgh one too :) xxxx

Thanks Sandi - i know its daft to compare any baby, i have a 3 year old son who was full term and did everything the books said he should and my friends LO who is the same age and also full term was later in everything. We met up last week and her little girl is now further on than my son - she really has come on so much lately. Meeting up would be great, i've met Foo once before which was lovely but as always life takes over and as my OH works away it sometimes difficult to make arrangements. Hope to see you soon and thanks as always for the advice!

Ethan is only a day older than Erin! He was a good weight and a month early so I think it's a bit different for him as he's 'on track' I think broadly. He's crawling and walking with his walker and saying dada, mama, nana and will do actions for pat-a-cake or row row row your boat etc. I have a few friends with babies of similar ages and one who was 3 days overdue isn't crawling yet but is a bit more ahead with things like clapping.
Things I worry about - he's not holding his bottle on his own (except if I sit him right back) he doesn't wave bye bye, he won't hold his beaker at all!
My friends baby was also a month early but 3lbs and he seems a tiny bit slower picking up things like crawling walking etc but that may just be baby to baby, not necc. because he was prem!
As for not liking lumps... I think lots of babies have little funny ideas with food and it's nothing to do with prem. If Erin is having finger foods then that's all good I think, nothing to worry about there.
Sounds fine to me!!!! She's transferring hand to hand so that's the main one. Eating is normal (they're all faddy), not crawling - well some babies just go straight to walking, my niece for one, and speech, well she has a reason for resting her vocal chords as the moment, and Ethan is only babbling, so as long as you keep on talking to her and demonstrating she'll be taking it all in and will be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->