What are you putting on your bed in case waters break at night?

Babushka

Reaction score
Are most of you girls putting something on the bed to protect the mattress in case your waters break during the night? If so, what are you using & would a sanitary pad be enough?

Stalking! Hubs and I were having this convo last night but didn't really come up with anything lol

I've no idea either. My first thought was plastic sheeting but the water would probably roll off . I might investigate incontenance knickers and see if they would be suitable - might even wear them during the day whenever I go to the shops :)

I thought about getting a really cheap shower curtain liner to put under the sheets. I'm in the U.S. and can get one at Walmart for $2-3... could probably find on at the Dollar Tree (everything costs $1) and save myself a buck or two! The only reason I haven't is because DH is hesitant. He really doesn't want to sleep on it, he thinks it will be uncomfortable and make too much noise. I might just start sleeping with a towel underneath me :shrug:

I put one of DD cot protectors under our sheet on my side last night (the straps are broken which is a bonus as they don't get in the way). I was worried it would be uncomfortable or move.... No. Not as yet. Seems to be working well at this stage.

I'm sure there would have to be mattress protectors available in bigger sizes for those people that suffer incontinence. This might be an alternative.

That's what I said, plastic sheeting but thought it sounded like a silly idea :haha: A shower curtain liner is also a good idea - definitely from the Dollar Store cuz they're like $8 at Walmart. I thought about wearing a high absorbancy pad but think it'd be a waste if i wear one every night lol

Well our current shower curtain liner came from Walmart and I know it wasn't more than $3... it's extremely thin & cheap though! That's why I was thinking I could just go get one of those. But yeah, DH isn't keen to sleep on top of plastic, so it's likely I'll just put a towel underneath me... hopefully that will absorb most of it if my water broke in bed!

My friend used pet training pads...i thoughy she wqs crazy but have found other places online saying they work. you just put it under the sheet so it doesnt irritate you. I know you can also buy training pad like things online meant for when your waters break.

Im popping over from 2nd tri but we have one of the special pads they use in the hospital..the actual fabric cloth ones not the plastic chucks pad..but a good thick thing from LO being in the hospital..we took all we could haha...and so I'll be putting that on my side of the bed just incase...

You could get some adult protection pads - they are like disposable changing mats but are used for the elderly or infirm. You can get them on ebay. I think they are similar to what they use in hospital plus you can use them as change mats or to put baby on for 'no nappy time' when they arrive :)

Would your average mattress protector not work? We have a brand new matress but I haven't bought a protector yet, was going to anyway as my little boy some times comes in with us and in the past has had leaky nappies in the night, plus I already spilt half a cup of water on it!

I always use a mattress protector anyway but over here when I used to do aged care nursing we used these things called "Kylies" they're like a square of material quilted like a thick mattress protector maybe double thickness.... And I have seen lots of leaks not pass them so I think I'm just gonna double mattress protector and then sheet and by the time I hopefully would feel the gush and grab the sheets off it should be fine... I'm quite paranoid as I love my mattress and we paid a bomb for it and I dunno if I would find one the same so I don't wanna ruin it

I have put a maternity bed pad on the bed. Pack of 5 from boots xxx

As I like to keep my mattress in a new and healthy condition I have always had a mattress protector on it and I have even spilt a milo and it has stayed unharmed. I have also put one of the babys mattress protectors on the lazy boy I sit on as I would hate to ruin it.

My midwife told me that only 15 to 30% of womans waters break unassisted so im not to worried

I always use a mattress protector anyway but over here when I used to do aged care nursing we used these things called "Kylies" they're like a square of material quilted like a thick mattress protector maybe double thickness.... And I have seen lots of leaks not pass them so I think I'm just gonna double mattress protector and then sheet and by the time I hopefully would feel the gush and grab the sheets off it should be fine... I'm quite paranoid as I love my mattress and we paid a bomb for it and I dunno if I would find one the same so I don't wanna ruin it

I love how everywhere has a different name for these things! I used to do the same work and we called them incos and some called them blueys lol. I assume blueys because the underside was blue, not quite sure why incos though!

Mines broke during the night at 36+5 with ds and I hadn't put anything down yet. But because I had become such a light sleeper I woke up immediately and jumped up. Poor dog took the brunt of the splash! This time ill put maternity pads down

ive just got the pampers changing mats handy, 1 in bedroom and 1 in the OH car :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->