What are you putting on your bed in case waters break at night?

oddly enough I have the plastic wrapping off my babies matress! I ordered it online and I used the outer packaging for my bed

I have a king size waterproof mattress protector like this one https://www.protectabed.co.nz/pages/products/fitted-protectors/protect-a-bed-premium.php
Good if you have reflux kids in your bed, spilly kids, or older kids who have a bad dream come into your bed and have an accident. I thought it would be short term, 7 years after my first I still have one on the bed lol

With kids in the house already, all out beds have matress protectors (quilted waterproof) under the sheets. Always! Sweat, spilled liquids, leaky breasts, potty training accidents, throwing up, all no worries! For 20-30 a bed, they last forever, are washable, and you don't notice they are there.

My mum bought me a plastic sheet that you put under a high chair and I have put that straight on the mattress with a towel on top (both under my sheet).

It's fine to sleep on, think the towel stops it feeling too sweaty. Only downside is if I turn a lot in the night it sounds a bit like I an wearing a nappy!

I'm using pampers changing pads. I tried a shower curtain last time and just sweated. For me a sanitary pad would never have been enough, was soaked!

when would you recommend that you start using something just in case?

I'm using incontinence pads I brought in Amazon, got a few under the mattress pad. They do make me really hot and sweaty though because of the plastic. I've got a couple in the car glove box too just in case! https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lilbed-Dis...7326932&sr=8-1&keywords=incontinence+bed+pads

DH says he can use any left over in the garage floor when he changes oil in his motorbikes!

I think I'm gonna get some of the doggy pee pee pad things, for people or dogs. Not sure what to call them haha but that sounds like the best idea for us - from the suggestions from you ladies.

Anything hot and sweaty sounds horrid... I'm so hot & sweaty right now as it is! I'm hoping a towel will catch enough of it to protect our mattress.

I will use pad just in case but I was leak when I'm pregnant with my first son and it woke me up but not a lot so I went to check in the bath room and see some pink then I call the nurse she told me to go to the hospital and not so long contractions start.

Are commercial matress protectors not common in the UK? I can't imagine not using one, or dealing with plastic sheets and doggy pads or the like!
What do you use on kids beds for pee accidents/sickness/etc? Do you just go through lots of mattresses?!? Lol

I hadn't even thought about this until I saw this thread??

Just for any UK ladies though, if this does happen and ruins your mattress/carpets or anything then it should be covered under the 'accidental damage' section of your home contents insurance.

A cheapo bathmat under the sheet (one of those 'value' ones) is a good solution. Unless your baby's head is not engaged at all, in the unlikely event your waters go before being in active labour it's more likely to be a trickle than a gush and this will stop anything hitting your mattress xx

Lol, I've had 2 births and known tons of moms and only one has ever had her water break on its own. She was laying in bed and felt something pop, she was jumping out of bed and most of the clean up was on the tile floor luckily. She only had to change her sheets as it didn't soak through the mattress cover. Anyways my point here is I wouldnt sleep on plastic or wear pads because the odds are against me of it happening naturally

Im going with the cut open bin bag and a towel......only as have the bag handy from LO having the pukes on thursday.

So, I was just thinking about this the other day and went out and got a new mattress protector for our bed. I figured that when the baby is older and sleeping with us (let's be real... your toddler/young child will inevitably crawl into your bed at some point in their childhood), it's a good investment against bed-wetting accidents and/or vomit accidents. We've experienced both with DS and DD and the mattress protector was a godsend!

Oh and my waters went with DS (who was my first child). I was fast asleep, laying in bed and felt this pop and a HUGE gush came out. There is NO way that a pad or even an adult diaper would have made any sort of difference. Hopefully the mattress protector will hold out against that if it happens again!

We have a mattress protector on our bed anyway, but having my waters go in bed is not something I've thought about at all! How likely is it to happen for a first baby? Should I put down something else in addition to the mattress protector? I don't know if ours is technically waterproof or just adds another layer to protect the mattress... Should I really put something down? When would I start using it? Should I have anything more than towels in the car for the drive to the hospital when I do go into labor? Our drive can be up to an hour if there is traffic.

Are commercial matress protectors not common in the UK? I can't imagine not using one, or dealing with plastic sheets and doggy pads or the like!
What do you use on kids beds for pee accidents/sickness/etc? Do you just go through lots of mattresses?!? Lol

Hmm they are but they tend to be water resistant as opposed to waterproof unless you like having a vinyl squeaky cover on the whole mattress or are prepared to pay more than the mattress cost originally. Over here you can get decent mattresses for cheap and we tend to get a new one every 3-4 years even if it didn't get stained they do wear out after a bit xx

I've got a proper waterproof protector thingy on my bed, it covers the whole mattress...

I wasn't going to bother but I haemorraged at 27 weeks and had to buy a new mattress (baby was absolutely fine) and there's no way i'm letting my waters going ruining this one :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->