What are your thoughts on really common names?

LittleMum

Mum to 22 mth old and ttc
Reaction score
I really love the name Charlie and it just feels right for us to name our son that but I'm put off by it currently being number 3 in the popularity charts. Do you think I'm being silly?

I would attempt to avoid the top name (such as when DS was born EVERY little boy we met was called Harry) but if I loved a name I wouldnt care

my sons name is 23rd and we have never met another Jake (although an old friend whose son is 3 years younger apparently has the same name but I havnt seen them in 7 years and we live at opposit sides of the county)

I said I definitely wouldn't give my child a common name. But I don't dislike names just for being common.

A name being high in the popularity list or If I hear it around a lot definitely makes me think twice about using it. If I loved it that much i'd still use it but I'd probably try and find an alternative all the same.

Or like we are going to do if this baby is a girl, I'd use the original name as a middle name. x

I've created a spreadsheet of possible names, with space for both my and DH's thoughts, plus a column showing the popularity ranking from the SSN. I don't want something that's very popular. However, one of my high boy choices right now is more popular than I would have guessed. I haven't personally heard of a single baby with that name, though, so it's remaining a top contender.

Not a fan of really common names. I would never use a name on my kid that I can shoot an arrow and hit ten more with the same name. I like unusual not very used names. But on the flip side I hate made up aka not real names trend.

I've always disliked the thought of giving my child a common name. I've always hated the thought of my child being one of many at their school.

Yet my all time favourite names - and they've been favourites since I was a small child - are constantly very high in the list. Currently girl name is #29 in the UK and #14 in Scotland and boys is #2 in the UK but #1 here in Scotland for 2013.

I'm annoyed :haha:

I've created a spreadsheet of possible names, with space for both my and DH's thoughts, plus a column showing the popularity ranking from the SSN. I don't want something that's very popular. However, one of my high boy choices right now is more popular than I would have guessed. I haven't personally heard of a single baby with that name, though, so it's remaining a top contender.

Wow thats organized, you should definately keep that. It will be interesting for you and lo to look back at when they are older.

I've always thought common names were boring and said I would never use one - but it's challenging bc then you fall in love with certain names and see they are on the Top 10 lists!! Like Ava, Olivia, & Isabella. I love all 3!! But I really would not want my child to be known as "Ava C." bc there are 3 other Ava's in her class every year!

On the other hand - my son's name is now in the Top 10 but it wasn't when I picked it 7 years ago!! So you never know!

Bottom line - if you LOVE it - use it!!

strangely when my son was born every child was Harry (even has 2 cousins born 6 months apart called Harry) every kid at the playzon was Harry and even other children we met on the bus where called Harry

but...

now hes in school theres not a Harry in sight (seriously im worried as to where all these kids went) the only name that appears more than one in DS year is oddly Lewis (which you dont tend to hear that often)

Wow thats organized, you should definately keep that. It will be interesting for you and lo to look back at when they are older.

Heh. More anal retentive than organized. :haha: We live our lives in spreadsheets. I actually brought them up on our blind date when we first met. That's probably how he knew I was the one for him...

hubby and I had a hard time agreeing on a name. We named our girl Emily which was in the top 10 at the time in 2010. We have yet to run into another little girl named Emily. I'm pleased with the name and it suits her well. I have a harder time with trendy names that make it into the top 10 but if a name is a classic (like henry) that's just because it's a really nice name. I say use it :)

When we named our first daughter Violet (after my husbands grandmother) the name wasn't popular at all. Suddenly it's become very popular, but I don't mind so much because it's such a beautiful name I'm not surprised lots of people want to use it lol. When I was having my last baby, if she was a girl i really really wanted to call her Olivia Caroline (Caroline is my nanna's name and Olivia was a name she really loved). My husband didn't like it because it's so popular (apparently). If you like a name enough, don't be dissuaded. I love my daughters name, I really do but my nanna died a year after she was born and I wish I'd fought my husband harder :(

I would try and avoid a terribly common name just so my child didn't grow up being one of several in his or her class.

DD is Avia which is similar to the popular Ava. We've yet to meet another Avia and only know one other Ava.

However, if I really loved a name, popularity wouldn't matter to me.

I always said I'd avoid, however I really love the name Ava, and am hoping that in a couple of years it's dropped in popularity. Bit like someone else said, names go up and down all the time. My daughter is named Sofia, 15 years ago when she was born it was very rare and barely in the top 100, now it's really popular.

I would avoid it but not because of the poll only if it was in my area. If it was a popular name in my area i wouldn't pick it. However if you love it, then choose it. I loved Poppy nothing would have persuaded me otherwise and i didn't even know if it was popular or not.

Well I'd rather the name wasn't too common but if I truly loved it I wouldn't mind too much. It'd bother me more with a girl's name for some reason.

When we named our first daughter Violet (after my husbands grandmother) the name wasn't popular at all. Suddenly it's become very popular, but I don't mind so much because it's such a beautiful name I'm not surprised lots of people want to use it lol. When I was having my last baby, if she was a girl i really really wanted to call her Olivia Caroline (Caroline is my nanna's name and Olivia was a name she really loved). My husband didn't like it because it's so popular (apparently). If you like a name enough, don't be dissuaded. I love my daughters name, I really do but my nanna died a year after she was born and I wish I'd fought my husband harder :(

I think Thora is truly a beautiful name and a little more special as it's so unique.

I have to say that I love my uncommon name. I've only met one other person in my life with the same spelling (Krystine), my oldest sister is the same (Rosemarie). I'm drawn to uncommon names and when I go to TTC and I think more about names, I know my husband and I won't even bother to look at 'The Top 10' lists.

Charlie is a name we've always loved, just gutted as its now number 3 but doesn't seem right to call our son anything else if bump is a boy, yet I hate ultra common names. Feel caught between a rock and a hard place :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->