What bedding to buy for summer newborns?

TrixieLox

Reaction score
I'm due in July with my special little girl and she'll be in a moses basket at first. Am unsure what bedding to get for her. Obviously, a fitted sheet for mattress, but then what? Are 'sleeping bags' too much for summer and a newborn? Is a sheet and cellular blanket best, or will that be too hot?

What are you planning?

Hi Trixie

It's not exactly roasting here in the UK in July, so I'm going to go with layers of cotton receivers I think, with cellular blanket for cooler nights. It's such a difficult one to predict. It could be anywhere from 14-30 degrees.

I guess we're just going to have to see what kind of summer we get!

Layers are best though. x

Lots on the internet to guide you but have a look at the table in this link based on room temp (houses will differ in terms of heat retention over the summer):

https://www.thelittlegreensheep.co.uk/baby-sleep-advice.aspx

x

I've always had winter girls and I'm having a summer boy! I feel confused but july is the beginning of the summer nights are pretty cold still (well here any

I've always had winter girls and I'm having a summer boy! I feel confused but july is the beginning of the summer nights are pretty cold still (well here anyways) so just snuggle baby every night u feel would be best

Cellular cotton blankets, very lightweight microfleece blankets and if its especially hot the larger Muslin squares make good very lightweight moses' basket blankets as well xx

My lo was only 6lb 5oz so sleeping bag wasn't suitable. I just used a sheet and a blanket when cooler - remember the rules though, if a sheet is folded in half it's classed as 2 layers, same with blankets, I found I had to fold my sheet as it was too big in the Moses basket.

I don't know what weather is like where you are, but I had a late June baby last time and when their little like that you wrap them in a receiving blanket and that with the pajamas seemed to do the trick. You could always put one more light blanket on if it gets chilly. You don't want anything too heavy anyways when they're brand new, soft and flexible is best:)

you can get sleeping bags and swaddle blankets that are suitable for the summer, they do them with different materials and thickness.

LO was born beginning of August and it was very muggy and warm. We had him in a cotton body with a light-weight cotton blanket over his legs. He was in our bed though, on top of our covers, so it may have been warmer than it would have had he been in his own basket.

You can get very lightweight sleeping bags too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->