What can I do differently with a second baby?

bookworm0901

Reaction score
My first was a horrible breastfeeder due to lip tie and had to have a procedure to repair it. In the meantime I had issues with oversupply and would constantly get engorged and mastitis.

I just had my second and she's an amazing eater! I'm so excited! I know her latch is not perfect because my nipples are sore but I think it's newborn sleepiness because she won't open her mouth properly. I'm expecting to be able to work all of this out with her because she seems so much better. My son was a 6 month struggle.

What can I do to about my oversupply problem? My milk came in last night and today I'm feeling very full and engorged. She's eating well every 3 hours. If I know how to manage oversupply, I feel like my BFing experience has potential to be amazing this time.

If you haven't done this: Only change breast after it has been emptied. I used the fuller side for every feed, I think that prolonged my oversupply and engorgement. Took me three months and various methods to make it go away.

If you aim to bf long term, just keep going, bf an older baby is really different from a younger one, even a 6m one. There will still be other sorts of problems (like biting, pinching, pulling etc) but overall it's more rewarding than the initial months.

Did you definitely have oversupply issues, or was it just that with a lip tie your LO couldn't drain the milk properly? Engorgement is normal while your body works out how much to make. If your new LO is feeding strongly and regularly then this will help your supply regulate all the sooner and hopefully stop any blocked ducts or mastitis.

If there are specific times when it becomes painful but LO is not ready to eat/asleep then you could try standing in a hot shower and letting your boobs leak any excess, then massage any hard lumps to clear the blockage but try not to express or pump as this will increase your supply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->