What causes nausea/fainting with periods?

AlaskanWife

Reaction score
Hey ladies, wondering if any of you have experienced this or know any possible causes...

Background: my periods have always been very irregular and I only have 2 or 3 per year.

Last summer I woke up one morning and AF had come, and I was cramping a little but not too bad. I got up and started showering/getting ready, and soon began to feel nauseous. It progressed quickly into severe nausea (almost vomiting), dizziness, hot sweat then cold clammy sweat, and nearly passing out. I had to sit with my head between my knees for quite a while before I could stand up without feeling like I was going to faint or throw up. I had never experienced anything like this before.

I have only had one real period since then (in December) and I had quite a bit of cramping but not the other symptoms.

Last month (June) I had a miscarriage at 6 weeks pregnant, and the same thing happened again -- along with cramps -- nausea, cold sweats, dizziness, almost fainting. This lasted for an hour or two until I passed the sac, then it gradually got better.

Is this a normal thing to occur with a period? I'd never had this before last summer. It doesn't seem to be correlated with how severe the cramps are, because that first time the cramps really weren't that bad.

I've been Google-ing for answers, and have seen everything from endometriosis to ovarian cysts to "that's just how it is, deal with it." Has anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions?

Sorry for your loss *hugs*

When I was a teenager I'd have this most months, I remember the nausea being terrible and I'd feel faint. It went away when I was on bcp, and didn't really come back, it has now and then.

Not sure of causes, I think it can be quite normal to feel like that.

Has anyone looked into your irregular periods?

You've had a really rough time :( Hope things improve for you soon.

I'm the same as the poster above - I would often feel really faint when I had my period as a teenager. I remember throwing up a couple of times too. The faint feeling was awful - my vision would completely cloud over and I would have to lie down on the floor and press something cold against my face. I would get the shakes too. I didn't have especially heavy periods or anything.

I haven't had that happen in years though. I'm not sure whether it's because I went on the pill or what. I haven't found any answers on google sorry! When I felt like that as a teenager I just sort of assumed it happened to everyone.

It might be worth checking with your doctor? IANAD but it seems like it could be something related to low blood pressure. Talking to your doctor might put your mind at ease?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->