What chores do your children do?

Save for cleaning with deep cleaners my kids can do about anything I ask them to help with (they're 9 and almost 11).....dishes, laundry, picking up after themselves, vacuuming and sweeping up, taking care of pets etc. They don't do all of that everyday but do a bit here and there regularly for sure.

I absolutely agree giving children age appropriate responsibilities that encourage independence is so important. I'm not sending any son of mine into the arms of a woman someday who will be expected to cater to him being a slob, nor am I sending any daughter of mine into the arms of a man who will expect her to be his slave. I'm sure not sticking around forever to do it all so why should they learn or think I will be!

This is a great list for age appropriate chores! https://www.pinterest.com/pin/149463281355759373/

Being a part of a family young or old means taking care of your own messes and helping your family keep common areas tidy!

Lucas dosent have chores as such he knows to keep his room tidyish and put things away after himself, he would wash up at every oppertunity possible but he is terrible at it and insists on having a £1 for doing it so I dont let him often :haha: The only thing he does regularly is load the washing machine he has severe OCD about colours lights and darks not a clue where he gets it from, but if his dad puts a load in when I'm at work he will pull it out and check it funnily enough he dosent fuss so much when its me doing it :blush:

My kids are a lot younger (4 and 2) but I expect them to pull their weight. They make their beds, put clothes in the washing basket, tidy away anything they've played with, help set the table, clear their plates from the table after eating, help carry shopping into the kitchen from the front door, help me unload the dishwasher and washing machine, wipe up stuff they spill etc. I don't really consider any of those chores though, it's just doing their share to keep the house as it started off. I count things like cleaning the bathroom or kitchen properly (other than wiping up a mess you've just made), hoovering whole rooms, dusting, mopping etc to be chores. At the moment they're a bit little for it but they do help me clean the windows and try to help hoover. I think when they're a bit older I'll try to have a set time when we all do chores at the weekend, adults and kids together, so nobody feels it's unfair. Other than that, the kids will continue to do what they can of the stuff we do on a daily basis.

They are expected to generally pull their weight round the house. They are responsible for their own rooms and also picking up after themselves. They do dishes and tidy generally but there aren't set chores it's just all chipping in to get stuff done x

my son is 5 and dosent do any... personally hate the word chore i envisage images of brain washed children doing the jobs their parents are supposed to do (at 7 year old a school friend came in with a 3rd degree burn on her arm off ironing... one of her many household 'chores' - shocking) I also get ridiculous flash backs of getting the slipper for the tiniest thing out of place and swore I would never put my child through any of that... kids are kids not labour

my son opt through his own choice to help out - although he usually just gets in the way and slows things down but he tries

my son is 5 and dosent do any... personally hate the word chore i envisage images of brain washed children doing the jobs their parents are supposed to do (at 7 year old a school friend came in with a 3rd degree burn on her arm off ironing... one of her many household 'chores' - shocking) I also get ridiculous flash backs of getting the slipper for the tiniest thing out of place and swore I would never put my child through any of that... kids are kids not labour

my son opt through his own choice to help out - although he usually just gets in the way and slows things down but he tries

I'm curious who you believe is going to tidy up after your son when he's grown? If he doesn't learn now, and picks up on your extremely negative attitude in regards to children merely helping here and there, then when and how is he ever going to learn?

My children aren't "brain washed" because they help take care of our family home. They help:

1.) because they are grateful and know how blessed they are, taking pride and care of our home is a way for them to show gratitude for the blessings their dad and I work so hard to provide them

2.) because they know they are skills they will need to learn to gain independence as adults

3.) because they know that it helps me accomplish the housework faster which means more one on one time I have to spend with them. I love that they value my time and want to free up as much of it as possible so we can be together doing fun things, instead of just in the same room as each other as I chase after them being slobs :)

He is responsible for his own room including: tidying, washing basket, making his bed (we strip) and putting his clothes away once returned washed and folded to him. He doesn't have *house chores* but is expected to pick up after himself - rubbish in the bin, plates to the kitchen/dishwasher, shoes neatly at the door and his coat and bag hung up. He makes his own packed lunch before school, is expected to put his own uniform out the night before and ensure his own bag is ready. I am trying to instil independence to look after and care for himself but the household jobs are my/DH responsibility. I may occasionally ask him to entertain his brother for ten minutes or fetch me something but I won't be giving specific non self-care jobs till prob high school (11). I feel he does enough for 8 yrs old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->