What contraception to use? Help please :(

stella123

Reaction score
Hi girls
I'm waiting to TTC with my partner, and in the meantime are needing a form of contraception.
I have been on every pill under the sun and have been found to be allergic to the increase in hormones, leading to cervical erosion, polyps and cervicitis - not to mention the usual migraines, weight gain and acne.
So this rules out any contraception inc hormones such as implant and injection etc.
I also have incredibly painful periods, and have grown immune to mefanamic and tranexamic acid after extensive use for 6 years.

I was thinking of having an IUD fitted, but my doc refuses to fit it until i've had children, unless absolutely necessary. she believes my uterus wouldn't take it either.

I am used to using condoms, but feel it reduces the intimacy between me and my partner, so would like some other option if possible.

Are there any of you out there who are experiencing a similar problem or could suggest some good advice. Most of the time, i feel my GP doesn't have enough 'time' to discuss my contraception options.

I'm not entirely sure how effective it is but what about something like a spermicide?
And the withdrawal method is quite good if used properly but not sure what kinda control your OH has lol
Sorry i'm not much more help!

I was thinking that, perhaps along with some natural family planning?
I have heard from friends who have used it that it smells and tastes funny
But I suppose it's a sacrifice needing to be made when I can't yet afford to financially support a child :/

Yeah natural family planning would be a good idea too, don't know why i didn't think of that! :dohh: maybe use spermicide too just to be extra sure x

I wouldn't use the pull-out method unless you are prepared to take care of a child now... I know some of us ladies are WTT (but really wouldn't mind becoming pregnant) whereas I am definitely not in an ideal situation to have a baby. Withdrawal has a higher risk of pregnancy.. as men ejaculate pre-cum before the big moment...

I'm in a similar situation to you right now... I'm looking into options. The pill I'm on now has given me terrible acne and really bad mood swings so I'm switching over. I'm thinking about the mirena at the moment... it's sounding ideal.

If you do natural family planning also, make sure you have predictable cycles - I too had issues with my periods before, so natural family planning isn't something I can really do.

:hugs:

Yeah, I'd like to use both as NFP takes a lot of careful and precise planning and practice.
Just sod's bloody law that my body can't handle the pill and the Witch (AF) just loves to make her very painful appearance every ruddy month :(

Thanks mandaa. I know it can be very unpredictable, which is why i'd like to use spermicide too if poss.
And, financially, me and my OH could not handle a child. He works full time getting paid pittence for his effort, whereas i have recently dropped out of university, realising that the Midwifery choices I was offered last year are what I should do, and not the course I started last September (counselling)
So I am having a couple of years out, getting some savings behind me. Then hopefully starting uni afresh, and hopefully plan a wedding! *fingers crossed* :)

This is a really brilliant book on nfp and fertility/contraception in general:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Taking-Cha...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275249797&sr=8-1

Thanks Amygdala you superstar, i didn't even think of the genious that is Amazon.
This will really help :)

I have used pull out w/ contraceptive films... hope that helps!

Buy a book by Tony Weschler (sp) called Taking charge of your fertility. It is the bible of charting! xxx

We have been charting to avoid getting PG for over a year now with no problems, however we are very careful and if we dtd on the two/three days before and after ovulation we use a condom. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->