What coud this be?

aidensxmomma

4 on Earth, Many in Heaven
Reaction score
My son is 5 1/2 and just got back from his grandparents today. He had a bandaid on his neck because he had a scratch and was picking the scab (that's not what I'm worried about). He took the bandaid off a couple hours after he got home and I noticed these huge red, bumpy rashes on his neck where the bandaid was (the sticky part of the bandaid). What could this be? An allergy maybe? He's never had a reaction to anything ever before, including bandaids. I'm lost and I feel so bad cuz the rash looks like it hurts, although he did say it doesn't hurt or itch. :shrug:

could be a reaction to the sticky stuff on the badage, or heat rash..

i get a rash once ive had a bandage/plaster on because of the sweat..

see how it goes, just tell him not to touch.. maybe put a cool compress on if he starts saying it hurts etc xx

Here's a picture of the rash he has. You can see an almost perfect outline of the bandaid.

If it is a reaction to the adhesive, will I need to worry about this a lot in the future or is it more of just an inconvenience for my son?

Attachments

• 20140112_165527.jpg
    20140112_165527.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 29
My sister is allergic/has a senitivity to plasters, they give her this rash too. She uses the material plasters instead now. Maybe try those and see if it makes a difference.

Poor guy!

It definitely looks like an allergy to the adhesive. I have it too and it's not fun. Mine didn't pop up until I was 21 (the big sticky patch they put on my back to hold my epidural in place while I was delivering my daughter is what kicked it off.....hurt worse than recovering from any part of labor did).

The soft material type bandages still contain the adhesive and will probably still cause the same reaction. If I need a bandage I use either a cotton ball or small sterile pad wrapped with gauze. Just don't tie it too tight if it's on something like a finger. They make medical grade super glues to close wounds too that I've used with success in the past. Sounds creepy but those have healed better than anything I've ever just covered.

If I end up absolutely needing to put a regular bandaid on I use hydrocortisone cream and/or dermoplast to reduce the swelling and take the sting out of the reaction.

It looks like an allergy to me.
I am allergic to plasters and my daughter has just started to be too.
It isn't anything to worry about. What you have to watch for is that you can still be allergic to the hypoallergenic plasters too-I am and so is DD.
There are alternatives you can get. Over in the UK you can get micropore tape which you use with a dressing. Neither DD or myself is allergic to this.
The hospitals here will use some sort of plastic tape instead of plasters but we are both allergic to this to.

I will allow plasters to be put on me if I know I can change it within a couple of hours as it usually takes a few hours for the reaction to start.

I am allergic to plasters, latex, micropore and adhesive. This is exactly that. Sensitive plasters are better tolerated.

I get that when I use any kind of bandaid or medical tape. I'm highly allergic to them. No long term damage. Make sure to wash the area off good to get rid of any sticky stuff.

I have this too, and have found that if I buy latex free bandaids and change them often (especially if you can rotate where the adhesive goes) I have better luck. It's mostly just irritating, not dangerous though. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->