What did we DO before technology?!?!?

seoj

Our family of four...
Reaction score
Seriously though?! :haha:

I was thinking the other day as I was checking FB on my cell phone... what did I do with all my free time before FB, smart phones, google, surfing the web, online shopping, iPads, laptops, DVR's, Bluetooth and BNB?????

Sometimes I wish I could stop the madness... I mean, I lived most of my life without it. I didn't get my first cell phone till 25yrs... and my first personal computer well into my later 20's.... I'm 40btw. Not ancient, haha, but I lived most of my life with land lines and well, that was about it. I even remember our first big color TV and microwave and how amazing that all seemed! My parents weren't well off- so we had a little black and white TV for most of my childhood- and yes, the kind you turn the knob to switch channels... and forget cable! We didn't have that till I was well into High School... I LOVE that though. I think how fun it's been to live my life and watch as the technology age exploded... my kids will certainly never understand that! My SD asked me once what kind of cell phone I had when I was a teenager?! buahaha... Um... :dohh:

It's kinda crazy how relient you get on things you never even knew you thought you needed till you had them... :wacko:

Just my random thoughts for the day... I'm not saying I WILL give it all up, but I do make an effort every day (especially when I get home from work) to put it all aside and just focus on the things that really matter. I'm sure I could do better though... I do tend to take a lot of pics of my LO! ;)

And yes, I understand the irony of posting this online... hehe

MSN was a think when I started high school so social media has always been a massive part of life for my generation. Before I had a mobile phone I played with my Playmobil....

Its crazy isn't it!!!

I really don't know the answer!!

I know when I was a kid I played lots of role play games, dolls, post office, shops etc. And did artsy stuff, drawings. Played in the garden. I never had a games console. We had tv but that was like an hour after school watching tracey beaker or the queens nose, then live and kicking on a sturday morning. Lol. Ah the good old days!! :)

It is crazy, I'm only 22 but because of limited money I didn't the internet, sky tv, a smart phone or computer until I had been in my house for a year. I can't remember what I used to do before the internet but I'm pretty sure it was sit in my living room wishing I had the internet or going on a primitive FB thing on my rubbish phone that only just had 3G internet on it.
I wish I wasn't so reliant on gadgets, when I'm not busy with my little girl I've constantly got my Iphone in my hand on FB or playing farming games :p

I was actually thinking this the other day! I hate how I'm so reliant on tech. My phones always in my hand, or I've the iPad/kindle when I get any spare time. We have a massive tv that's on most of the day. I feel panicky at the thought of losing my phone. I don't actually have fb so at least I'm not on that too. I have found I'm irritating myself with so much screen time and am seriously considering going back to basics!

It's crazy how quickly technology has consumed us all isn't it?

I remember a lot of waiting around. For phone calls - waiting by the house phone :telephone: or telephone box (remember them?) and waiting for people.... With no mobiles you had to meet everyone at EXACTLY the right time and you never knew if they were running late or not coming so hence a lot of waiting around :haha: I read a lot more then and also (shock horror) spoke to my friends in person!!

those were the days!:rofl:

I don't know how I coped with night feeds with DS1, my iPad has been my lifeline this time around!!

It's crazy how reliant we are on technology. I always have my iPhone in my hand, I honestly don't know what I would do without it. I do everything on it!

I seriously need to stop it, I would say its borderline addiction!!
Every time lucas is occupied my phone is outN I check this forum,fb,instagram and then check it again??
he naps for an hour in the morning, thats plenty time to shower, get myself ready, clean the mess but I spend about 45 mins on my bloody phone. :(:( I dont actually enjoy my reliance at all.

I have a mobile phone no smart phone. So theres still tv, books/mags and radio to consume your time :p.
I was reading a lot when I was a kid.

I remember always being on the land line as a kid talking to my friends (I can't even imagine what all we had to talk about for hours??? lol), and my mom would get so irritated because I was hogging the line, so it would always come up busy for other people trying to call us. This was before call waiting too. Also remember watching TGIF shows, like Boy meets world, Saved by the Bell, etc. I read a lot.

I didn't get my first cell until in college and paying for it myself. Didn't get a smartphone until just a few years ago, but now that I have one I am seriously addicted to it. I can't imagine if I lost it, which is pretty bad. Its always in my pocket or hands with me on it. I really think its a bad habit, but I'm so addicted at this point that I don't know how to break it.

MSN was a think when I started high school so social media has always been a massive part of life for my generation. Before I had a mobile phone I played with my Playmobil....

Same as emy, the internet was a thing when i started highschool really before then i read.

I remember always being on the land line as a kid talking to my friends (I can't even imagine what all we had to talk about for hours??? lol), and my mom would get so irritated because I was hogging the line, so it would always come up busy for other people trying to call us.

:haha: I was the same!!! Even though I saw my friends and school and after and work- it Drove my parents nuts! my Dad would usually step in eventually and tell me get off the phone! He had his own business for a while and one time I called our house and left this long message on the machine (back when they used those little tapes) and he was so mad at me for taking up time on the line when he might have missed a work message! oops.

I do like how convient everything is these days- but sometimes I miss the simplicity of my childhood. I'm just glad I had that- PLUS- who wants to have all their stupid young adult mistakes on video or pics! Or worse- splattered all over FB!!!! haha. Least I did all mine before that technology came along... well, most of them ;)

Its so funny looking back on it now, too, because now I HATE talking on the phone, LOL! I will text, FB, whatever to not have to physically talk on the phone. And I could talk on the phone all night as a teen.

When we first got internet it was dial up, god the agony of disconnecting so my Mum could use the phone :rofl:

When we first got internet it was dial up, god the agony of disconnecting so my Mum could use the phone :rofl:

YES! Or it disconnecting on you while online because someone picked up the phone!

Every so often I get overloaded and go back to a basic book, the lure of the iPad or kindle gets me eventually though. I remember going shopping with my mum and we'd always arrange to meet outside a certain shop at a certain time, now we text each other if we loose sight when in Primark. The dial up Internet was the bane of my teenage life too

I also remember how LONG it took to download things, and we'd be totally okay with it because that's how it was back then. When downloading music was still new, and still had to use dial up to do it, I remember it taking HOURS to download music. Can you imagine having to wait that long now? No one would. LOL.

I got first mobile at 17 when everyone was playing snake lol. Never had privacy talking to friends as you stood in the hall with land line, setting up video recorder where you had to get tv guide to dial in the number for show and only having 4 channels lol. Oh and of course sitting there with tape recorder trying to record radio top 10. I remember getting a dvd player and been so excited lol. I was a huge reader. Even when had mobile you couldent ring friends as we had no signal where i lived and internet and phone line were a fight lol. Oh doing homework on encarta or reading a book haha and of course the printers where you had rolls of paper where had to tear down sides where all holes were lol. My lo doesent use much tecnology. When i was teaching they couldent believe there was a time with no mobiles, internet etc and none knew what a video or tape cassette was. I think we spent more time outside to lol. I remember being amazed when we got internet

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->