What did we DO before technology?!?!?

When we first got internet it was dial up, god the agony of disconnecting so my Mum could use the phone :rofl:

I remember sitting on the sofa in the kitchen with the laptop on a rickety stool, connected to the phone socket and it making that noise :rofl:

I got internet when I was about 8/9 so pretty young but before I really relied on it (MSN, myspace, dolls dress up :lol:) I just read and played! I 'played out' until I was too old really :haha:

Loved using the house phone just for random silly things when I was about 8/9 just to talk to my friends that I had been with all day at school.

Dunno what I'd do without my iphone now though! xxx

I was a student until I was 24 so I studied a lot. And watched TV with commercials. I remember getting a tv in my room with 2 channels and rabbit ears, I thought it was so awesome! Even my first apartment with OH we had rabbit ears and we didn't mind. Now we have like 1000 TV channels but there are only a few shows worth watching. I still don't have a smartphone but I spend too much time on my ipad. OH and I don't use our devices much when the kids are awake but at other times it seems we are always staring at a screen.

I prefer the 'olden days'...

Our first internet was ISDN so no agony between telephones and internet. also all kids got their on telephone set, so we didnt hog the main phone xD.
If you want to do a time travel re Internet just go to south africa, most peoples Internet is painfully slow there... (my inlaws place has some unreliable wifi reception(means their signal is transfered via some wifi aerial in the region that is received with a dongle at the pc but this signal is not wifiable because it all usb so annoying. and it is dead slow like 1mbit/s) and they still have a cap on that too Dx

We got our first computer when I was about 15, 700mhz 128mb ram, 20gig hard drive :haha: it was bloody good back then. Also had dial up connection which was 1p a minute then we got that package with BT where you paid 5.99 a month and had unlimited internet after 6pm xD I was only allowed to use the internet for 2 hours a day after 6pm and I can remember sneeking on (our modem didn't make a sound for some reason) and panicking when someone was going towards the phone :haha:

Didn't get my first mobile until I was 15 too, Nokia 5110 on one2one pay as you go xD 160 character limit on texts xD hahah. Then moving from one2one to BT cellnet where they had like 5p texts and free calls to your favourite number.

Before we got our computer we had a very basic sky package with like 20 channels. Used to watch nickelodeon and cartoon network all the time. At night I'd listen to my CDs on my HiFi.

Ah man I'd be so lost without my nexus and phone now, don't think I could ever go back to that old PC and dial up!

Was discussing this today!

My first phone was a Nokia 3210, good ol' snake :lol:

Was discussing this today!

My first phone was a Nokia 3210, good ol' snake :lol:

YES!
Theres a snake app for the iphone its not quite the same without the big bulky indestructible brick phone to go with but its cool!

OH commercials- I NEVER watch them anymore... I think that would be the hardest thing for me to give up-- my DVR!!! haha- because A) I would never watch any TV without it (I can't structure my day around program times-- although I used to!? and B) I HATE commercials- it's so rare I watch live TV anymore... when I do I forget myself and try to fast forward through... haha

OH commercials- I NEVER watch them anymore... I think that would be the hardest thing for me to give up-- my DVR!!! haha- because A) I would never watch any TV without it (I can't structure my day around program times-- although I used to!? and B) I HATE commercials- it's so rare I watch live TV anymore... when I do I forget myself and try to fast forward through... haha

Same here for sure! I can't stand commercials anymore, so we DVR everything. My older son hates them too, and doesn't understand when we are watching live tv (sometimes we do for cartoons) why he can't have me just fast forward them. How on earth did we used to plan our whole day around making sure we were home in time to see our evening shows??? I don't ever worry about ti anymore, because now we can even set shows from our phones if we forget!

I've just had some lovely teen memories of bloody dial up Internet, msn and chat rooms - did anyone have safe words with their friends for if parents were in the room? Lol.
I just hope my parents were to too daft to check the history.
I've been with dh since I was 16 , we watched films, walked the dog, went for drives and shared chips n cheese in pubs.
When I moved in with him we would watch series together or with the in laws.
He would play his play station and I'd read or complain he was addicted to his game so he got me a net book. I didn't get a decent phone til 2 years ago so I wasn't nearly as addicted but I used the laptop a lot.
I guess I've never been without technology. I kind of think how boring my life is because I just check here, fb, , here, and huff that nothing is going on and check again in 10 mins. Rinse and repeat.
Xx

these days after ive finished all the house work & sorted LO out etc i get to sit down at 9pm ish. so i tend to either do paper cuts or play cards with OH if hes not reading. neither of us are big on technology so we dont have any xbox's playstation etc & my laptop is used work work purpose only.

when i was younger i was out with mates until 8pm & then was on msn & bebo talking to them...

I think pre facebook and social media we were all less self obsessed. Now we (people in general) do the online equivalent of walking into a room and shouting I FEEL SAD or I ATE PEAS FOR TEA and it's just weird. People used to phone each other and chat or meet up to speak. I was off facebook for six months and the amount of times friends and family automatically assumed I knew some intimate detail about their life because they'd whacked it on a website was a bit alarming. I miss pre facebook.

At the same time though, without technology a lot of people would be lonely without access to online forums and stuff.

when i was younger i was out with mates until 8pm & then was on msn & bebo talking to them...

I LOVED Bebo :haha:

Spent countless hours choosing the 'skin' for my profile and choosing who to give my love to :lol:

Hi girls,

Do you use any pregnancy apps for iPad/iPhone? I'm at a stage where I'm so consumed by my gadgets, FB, Instagram, etc that I can't focus on reading a book for more than 5 minutes.. That's why I'm looking for a fast way to get info, like tips , advice, etc... I browsed iTunes and there're tons. Would be glad to get a recommendation from a real user.

I'm new to motherhood, I'm also the only one in my friend circle who's expecting, none of them has children so I feel a bit lost.

Thank you in advance!

I would do jigsaw puzzles and more jigsaw puzzles! And go camping at weekends with my friends I still do go camping with the same friends 20 years on!

Took my husband camping a couple of years back and he was just amazed how relaxed he was with no tv, pc, mobile, tablet etc. Just a couple of drinks and watching the night sky (he was really amazed by how beautiful the stars are and he has got a bit intostar gazing)

Without it I would be lost - as in literally - I always use the maps to find out where I am going. I would be lonely - as some of my best friends are on FB only, and even the real life ones I met on FB first. I would be hungry - I do all shopping online - supermarkets are effort. I would never buy any thing - I mean how do you decide on a washing machine with out reviews from a million users?? I wouldnt know what all those people that I went to nursery, school, college are doing with there daily lives - even though i would rather not know. I dont think I would have kids - as most likely would have killed them by now - as with out this site I wouldnt know the first thing about parenting and whats is ok and what isnt.

Overall I would just be a hermit. But I was thinking the other day how bad it is that im online ALL the time - a day without my phone is unthinkable so is a laptop with only 4hr battery llife! I mean i struggle when my 120mg internet goes slow and I have to wait more then 5 seconds for my page to load, or when my 4G out of range and have to use 3G or worst thing ever - when the TIVO didnt record the show i wanted and I have to watch WITH adverts - shocking!!!

Hi girls,

Do you use any pregnancy apps for iPad/iPhone? I'm at a stage where I'm so consumed by my gadgets, FB, Instagram, etc that I can't focus on reading a book for more than 5 minutes.. That's why I'm looking for a fast way to get info, like tips , advice, etc... I browsed iTunes and there're tons. Would be glad to get a recommendation from a real user.

I'm new to motherhood, I'm also the only one in my friend circle who's expecting, none of them has children so I feel a bit lost.

Thank you in advance!

I used to use My Pregnancy Today, but it's only for Android. Not sure what your phone is, but there are pregnancy apps for any operating system. iPregnancy for example is for iOS.

I think I could live without technology. The only thing I would miss would be my mobile. Whilst I do have a smartphone, it would just be that I would miss being able to text/phone people. I don't have TV anyway, and only watch the occasional thing on catch-up. My cousins (5 and 8) were horrified when they came to my house that there was no TV - they didn't believe me when I told them I didn't have one, and they spent ages trying to find it. I went well over a year when I moved house (the first time living on my own) without the internet and a landline, and I have rubbish signal where I live, so couldn't use the internet on my mobile. In the evenings, I did lots of reading, and watched some films on dvd on the very old laptop I had at the time that had no battery life and would keep cutting out if the charger moved even ever so slightly. I spent lots of time with my animals, taming them and handling them.

Haha I wonder this. I'm 21 so similar technology was in place when I entered my teens like mobile phones and widespread internet and social media (although not smart phones and different social media like Bebo and msn messenger lol!) and I always think it must be so strange to have to go to a book to look up anything at all, or only reach people with a landline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->