• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What do I need in a computer?

jenstar

Reaction score
I'm not really a computer person, but my wee netbook is on its last legs. Very slow and sometimes sticks so I need a new one. I want a laptop with full size screen this time I think. I've been looking but because I don't know what I'm looking for I can't compare them. I will use it for very basic stuff like reading BnB and online shopping, putting photos from digital camera onto snapfish, hopefully to Skype and that's it really. The children might watch some you tube videos like the phonics song etc. Never gaming or watching DVDs. So do I look for the processor or the memory (and what memory)? I feel a bit dumb and I think the guy in the computer shop near me knows I know nothing about them. Also when he talks about a "basic" computer I get the impression it is what I would consider "top of the range" lol!

TIA if anyone can give me a few pointers.

I know not a lot about computers but I know a little. Lol.

Hubby plays games on his and stores music/photos etc so we got him one with a large memory, ram and processor.

I use mine for the same things you described so I had a budget and went in and asked what was the best I could get for 75% of my budget, knowing they would try and make me spend a bit more. "For £# you can get XYZ but it you were willing to spend £# exta, you can get WXYZ."

If your in UK avoid pc world, they are useless.
I once went for a job there and it was a two day lecture and tests all about how to bump up the sale and save cost on carrier bags, not once did they get anyone to show any knowledge of computers.
Your actually better going to someplace like tescos that does laptops (never on a weekend though) and alk to someone there.
On more then one ovcasion iv found them to be knowledgable enough about pc's to help and not be as pushy about upsales.
Hubby works in IT so i let him work out the detailes then go to tescos because they dont push sales but know enough to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->