What do i need other then the obvious things

Rach276

Reaction score
Iv wrote a list of all the baby things I need such as cot, moses basket etc etc but I want to stock up on wipes, nappies and products too.
Its really early still but I just want to start getting small things. So like how many shampoos and things do i get? and what brands best?

Also nappy sizing! I was looking at huggies newborn size one and two and I know it goes off weight so roughly how many will I need in those sizes before bubas too big.

This proberly doesnt make sence, but im worrying now because i dont have a clue:(
Any advice??

You'll obviously need bedding for the cot & moses basket - I was advised to have about 5 fitted sheets, 5 flat sheets & 5 blankets for the cot, incase you have a sicky baby. How much you have for the moses basket will depend on whether they will be sleeping in there at night, or just for daytime naps.

You will probably be advised not to use baby bath or shampoo for the first few weeks, as baby's skin will be too sensitive, so don't worry about that for now. As for nappies, I was told to expect between 8 & 10 nappy changes a day in the first few weeks - so use that as a guide of how many packs to buy. So far, I have about 4 packs of Size 1 & will probably now buy size 2, as the sizes overlap anyway. Don't forget to buy some Sudocreme or something similar. You'll also want cotton wool for nappy changes, and for top 'n' tailing baby - apparently cotton wool pleats are better for changing than cotton balls - as wipes can make baby's bum sore in the first few weeks (or so I have been told). I am just buying cotton wool & nappies from tesco for now - but I think with nappies, each baby will suit a different brand better, depending on their shape....does that make sense? I have bought some wipes & baby bath for the 2nd month, and again, have just bought either Tesco or Boots own brands for now.

Also think about buying some new towels for baby that are nice & soft, you might want a room thermometer for the nursery, and maybe a thermometer for the bath water. You'll want a changing bag too, for when you go out. Are you breastfeeding or bottle? If you are breastfeeding, you might want a breast pump? And for bottle feeding, bottles & a steriliser.

For after the birth, you'll need breast pads & maternity towels.....and either old or disposable knickers. And obviously, clothes for the baby!!!

Hope that helps,

xxxx

Thanks! I diddnt even think about new towls! Iv added it all to my list xxx

If you're going to be using bottles to feed at all (even if you are expressing) you might want to get in something like Infacol too?

xx

Don't get loads of toiletries and stuff. Just enough to last you the first few weeks as I'm sure you'll be going shopping eventually! I'm only getting 2 packs of newborn size nappies b/c I don't know how big she'll be and I don't want to waste lots of money. and I can always send OH out for more!
I'm getting a few sets of bedding (4 or 5) and a few grobags, new towels, a baby bath and support, wash cloths, bottles, steriliser, breastpump, cotton wool (to clean babys eyes, and for the first few weeks on her bum), some sort of cleanser + shampoo, nappy rash cream, wipes, nappy sacks!, changing mat, some sort of mobile for her crib, bounce chair thing, a little grooming set including little scissors, ear thermometre, bath themometer, lots of breastpads for me, lots and lots of bibs for her!, muslin squares,

Uh, I can't think of anything else although I'm sure I've forgotten lots! I have a list in my house, I'll add to it if I've forgotten anything X

OH, AND CHECK THE WHEELS OF YOUR PRAM. I'm getting a quinny so I need to get a puncture kit just incase!

Bottles and teats, dummies if you use them, steriliser-tesco do a good one for £25 and it does 6 bottles in 8 minutes. Im starting with 6 packs of wipes, 2 packs of size 1 disposables (gonna be using cloth ones so a few disposables for out and about are useful)
bepantham nappy cream or whatever brand you want to use, infacol as mentioned to prevent and aid colic problems.
i always reccomend johnsons baby stuff, smells lush and is the best i think.You might want top to toe wash, talc, shampoo, lavender wash for night time baths, baby lotion and oil. I have most of these things kept in a wicker basket in the changing unit.

Lovely snuggly towels for after baths, I got some egyptian cotton ones but I have no idea if they are any different to normal towels. I also love the towels with the hoods on them, they are so cute!

Breast pads, sanitry pads, disposable knickers... spare nighties(primark do cheap ones) nursing bras (i wear them now lol, have a clip to let your tit out for feeding) mothercare do a nice range of bras.
Blankets for passing baby round in when you have guests, muslin cloths for when baby gets the sickywoos after feeding. Bibs... mittons to prevent scratches, newborns have the sharpest nails, even after cutting lol!
invest now in a good sausage pillow too for sleeping with, stuffed between your legs when you lay on your side with your head lay on the top part is sooo comfy. I dunno how I lived without mine now.

there is so much more I cant think of... lol.

oh i saw a rubber ducky for the bath except its a thermometer too, fun AND useful!! :D

Infacol is not something you should buy in advance. Your baby may not need it and you can get it free on prescription so why pay?

Do not stock up on nappies as you do not know how big your baby will be, or how big they will grow. On average a pack of nappies is a week's worth, about 6 a day for a newborn. So get 2 packs of size 2 usually as it covers a bit of size 1 and 2. This is my 4th baby and I have a little experience with these things hun lol.

The only things you absolutely need to have before the baby arrives is some where warm and clean for the baby to sleep, so a moses basket/crib and 2 sets of bedding, fittes sheet, top sheet and a blanket. 4 baby grows and vest. Scratch mitts, as many as you like. A hat and something warm to bring the baby home in and a car seat for the journey. Then a couple of packs of nappies and cotton wool for the bum changes. Warm water and cotton wool. Baby wipes are ok but I would avoid using them straight away. A couple of weeks and then go to wipes if you want.

Then it's just feeding hun! Bottle of breast and everything you need for that. Again don't stock up on formula as it goes out of date and your baby may need to change brand if it doesn't like it.

Hope I havent frogotten anything and it helps xxx :hugs:

To be honest all i stocked up on was baby wipes, Everytime they were on offer like buy one get one free i would get some with my weekly shop. I havnt stocked up on nappies because i dont know how long baby will fit into certain sizes. And i havnt stocked up on bath wash or shampoo because you wont use it at first anyway! I gotta few packs of cotton wool pleats, cotton bubs, sudocrem, vaseline and that kinda stuff :)

Um, what is cotton wool pleat? Sorry, silly Canadian I am tehehe!

Ye its my first baby, how did you guess lol? Im 18. This has helped me so much! I hadnt thought about getting more then one set of bedding!

Not sure if this explanation will make sense.....but it's basically a long strip of cotton wool folded into a packet....so you can rip off a piece as big or as small as you want. Does that make any sense??!

Not sure if this explanation will make sense.....but it's basically a long strip of cotton wool folded into a packet....so you can rip off a piece as big or as small as you want. Does that make any sense??!

To add a bit more, lol, cotton wool is what's on the end of cotton buds (or maybe Q-tips?) and you can get cotton wool pads that are thin circles of the same for removing make-up or whatever. We're talking here about big chunks of it, looks like raw wool (as opposed to wool spun for knitting) but all white. Made of cotton.

Ah! Thanks guys! I don't think I have ever seen it like that here...except for ball form and pad form....must go and have a look see next time!

I've always used baby shampoo (Johnsons) on Colton. Ever since his first bath (about 3 weeks.. thats how long it took for his cord to fall off, speaking of: DEFINITALLY buy a bottle of rubbing alcohol for the cord. Take a small needle and poke a hole in the top of the alcohol (through the foil.. DONT remove the foil) and use that to pour alcohol on the cord. Colton's took forever, once I started doing that it fell off in 2 days!!!! You just have to pour the alcohol around the cord, down into the belly button then wipe off any excess alcohol on their belly, and rub down around the cord.)
Anyway.. on with the shampoo; I wouldn't buy a bunch. Colton's almost 7mo and we have only used 1.5 bottles so far. You barely use any because they are so small, with little to no hair (most of the time :p ).

As far as diapers go, you will probably go through about a case (or box, usually have about 150-200 diapers) of 1's, at least. Colton was 9lbs 14oz, and still used a case of 1's. I would only buy a couple packs of newborn though, because any unopened packs you can always return (on your trip to buy more.. lol).

Definitally buy lots of sheets. You will need them. Colton wasn't really sickly, but now that he is older (and sleeps 9hr+ at night) he tends to pee ALOT! Which normally leaks out onto his sheet :dohh: and therefore his sheets need to be changed almost EVERY night!

Lots of receiving blankets/covers. Colton used receiving blankets all the time when he was smaller, and they were good for burping, wiping milk off his face when he was eating, and all sorts of things because they are decently priced, and alot bigger than burp cloths. Now he doesn't use them as much unless it's chilly and I want something thin over him in his carseat, or if it's too hot for his blanket at night but I want him covered. Although, now he does use bigger blankets to sleep with (although some people are against giving babies blankets, so your decision) and goes through about 3-4 a week.

Also, make sure you have some fragrance/dye free laundry detergent and a good stain remover! You will need them! Even if s/he isn't a "sicky" baby, EVERY baby spits up. And like it or not, your destined to have lots of poo incidents! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->