What do people in the UK think about these names? Stereotypes, connections?

Bumblebee117

Reaction score
Ok so, we don't know what we are having and are pretty set on a girls name but can't find any boys names because one 'friend' of ours keeps putting the names we came up with in bad connection. Even the girls name we have chosen is bad in their eyes so I stopped telling them any more ideas. We have chosen the name Mona if it's a girl even tho they say it means Monkey in Spanish... How does it work in England?! Any good?

I would never say anything negative about any names my friends have chosen, I might say "that's not my style" or "unusual choice" but I'd never make them think badly about their favourites.

Anyways, we are moving back to the Uk in a couple of years and that one friend claims that Erik is a bad name and is Chavvy over there. It's my grandfather's name, he is german.

Here in Germany it is considered a Nordic name and no one else said anything negative about it.

Is it true that it is a frowned-upon name in the UK?

Any input will be greatly appreciated. :kiss:

Eric/ Erik is not a chavvy name, also not that common and I live in east London. I think both your boy and girl names are lovely and I'm Spanish descent and don't associate Mona with monkey x

I can't see anything wrong with either Mona or Erik. Actually I quite like them both. I don't know anyone- chavvy or otherwise - with these names though. I like that they're slightly unusual here - it means your child will own their name. also can't imagine anyone associating Mona with monkey. xxxx

Erik is definitely not chavvy. I do not know anyone with the name personally.
Mona is cute x

I don't know any Eric's but I certainly wouldn't describe it as a chavy name.

Mona isn't my style as I see it more of a name for an adult, though I have heard many criticise my daughter's name as they say it doesn't age well, so please don't let that put you off. I am not Spanish so don't associate it with monkey!

Erik is absolutely not chavvy- it's an old, traditional nane in my eyes and whilst it might not be to everyone's taste- I like it!

Mona makes me think of moaner but I don't think it's terrible

I've never met anyone with either names but Erik is definitely not a chavvy name!
Mona doesn't make me think of monkey at all, can't understand why your friend said that x

Neither name has any kind of stereotype here in the uk as far as I'm aware. Eric certainly isn't considered chavvy either. i would ignore your friend, if you like the names you should use them. Just don't discuss it with her again xx

Eric/Erik isn't chavvy. I don't know anyone with the Erik spelling (it looks more Mainland European to me) but I know quite a few Eric's. One of them is a total chav, but other than that it is mainly older people I know with that name.

Mona I definitely don't associate with monkey, and I don't think anyone in the UK would, however as PP said I does make me think of "moaner" a bit due to the similarities in pronunciation. What about Mauna as a similar alternative? (pronounced like sauna)

Both names are fine. Not my taste, but absolutely nothing that a child would be picked on for, aside from them maybe being slightly unusual. This is coming from someone who has an unusual name and knows the grief it can cause!

Totally agree, Eric is deffo not seen as a chav name in the uk. Mona is more unusual here, I don't dislike it, but it did instantly make me think of the word 'moaner'. Xx

Your friend clearly has no idea what they're talking about :haha:
I would say both names are fairly unique here and definitely not 'chavvy'.

I personally love Erik, especially if it has a family connection for you. I do love Mona too but I would maybe be a little concerned about teasing over the Mona/moaner thing. Kids can be mean, but that's just me. I would never associate it with a monkey either.

My next door neighbours boy is Erik...they're Polish and lovely, not chavvy at all. It's a classic

Again UK and I definitely wouldn't associate Eric/Erik with being chavvy. I know of one little boy with the name and he isn't 'chavvy' at all.
I've never heard of the name Mona on someone in real life, the only thing I really would associate it with when hearing it is the Mona Lisa. :)

My cousin's son is called erik, her dh is spanish. I don't think either name is chavvy

We've chosen Erik for our boy. Naming him after a dear friend who died a couple years back from Holland.

I don't know anyone called Mona, but I like that too.

I like both Mona & Erik/Eric. Not chavvy and not weird at all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->