what do u think? dairy allergy.....?

Saxogirl

Mum to 2 beautiful boys!
Reaction score
hi all, am going to ring the hv but just wondered what your thought are....

Ever since birth my little boy seems to (in my opinon) have had an upset tummy, during the night I noticed his poo was dark green with mucussy lumps in.

Obviously i googled straight away and there seems to be 2 explanations; either he's not getting enough hind milk or he's having a reaction to something i'm eating. I've noticed some other greeny nappies but none like last nights. Am gonna ask DH if he's spotted anything unusual

Other poss symptoms - things wrong......
gurgling tummy/screws face up etc in pain
v colicky
constantly restless - even fretting when he's asleep or feeding
rash on his face
nappy rash but only in a tiny area around his actual bum hole
increasingly sicky
slight runny nose

I have spoken to various m/w hv's etc about most of these symptoms but they seem to have an explanation for each, however when u put it all together I'm wondering if he's reacting to the dairy in my diet?

What do you guys think?

Lactose intolerance is very, very rare in babies, so it is not likely to be that.

When feeding, does LO gulp and cough a lot? Does he choke on the milk? Bite down to stop the flow? Does he arch his back or pull away? When he does pull away, does milk spray? Do you often have a very full and heavy feeling breast? Any blocked ducts or mastitis?

could be an imbalance of fore and hind. How long does he feed on each side and how often do you change?

When Marley was younger the doctor said she may have a cow's milk protein intolerance(different from a lactose intolerance). We noticed she had blood strings in her stool so the doctor told me to cut out all dairy from MY diet and if it clears up then we know that's what it is. So I did that and it cleared up. The majority of babies will outgrow a milk protein intolerance. Marley eats cheese and yogurt now without a problem. So maybe try cutting dairy out of your diet for a few weeks and see if that helps.

Lactose intolerance is very, very rare in babies, so it is not likely to be that.

When feeding, does LO gulp and cough a lot? Does he choke on the milk? Bite down to stop the flow? Does he arch his back or pull away? When he does pull away, does milk spray? Do you often have a very full and heavy feeling breast? Any blocked ducts or mastitis?

thank you for your responses - sorry for the delay in replying - internet went down :grr:

Anyway....

yes to most of those Q's - although the blocked ducts/mastitis thing only seems to have appeared since i posted this

i took baby to the doc and they said most likely a tummy upset bbut he looked like he was on the mend they thought it was unlikely that it was due to something I had eaten but said was a possibility, but since then he was ok - a diff child, happy and content etc until last night when he started fussing etc and then this am the rash had re appeared on his face, am now thinking it's def to do with somthing i am eating - i had a lot of egg and cream before the re-appearance so maybe it's that - this time i noticed it quicker and laid off the dairy today and it already seems to be clearing up,.....

over the last day or so am starting to wonder whether i might have mastitis etc as r boob is swollen and painful - also have had a slight temp overnight and some nausea/upset stomach, but am not sure if that is related?

God it seems to be one thig after another at the moment.... :(

could be an imbalance of fore and hind. How long does he feed on each side and how often do you change?

I don't think it's this as generally i feed him one boob for 1 meal and then the other boob next meal????

Hayden couldn't handle it when I had dairy...he got a very upset stomach, you could hear his tummy rumbling he would cry in pain and bring up his legs, had bad gas and broke out in a really bad rash...started on his face and then moved down to the rest of his body. After trying out a few things, we figured out it was the dairy and when I cut that completely he was all better :)

Hayden couldn't handle it when I had dairy...he got a very upset stomach, you could hear his tummy rumbling he would cry in pain and bring up his legs, had bad gas and broke out in a really bad rash...started on his face and then moved down to the rest of his body. After trying out a few things, we figured out it was the dairy and when I cut that completely he was all better :)

yeah that sounds exactly like Alex, you can hear his tummy grumbling and wakes himself up crying in pain :cry: it's horrible - i'm convinced if it's not dairy that its def something i'm eating, but think that dairy is the most likely so far - is gonna be hard to cut completely but anything for my little man to feel better - besides we might all get some sleep then too!

It was really hard for me at first too, but after a bit it wasn't so bad. After he got older I was able to add back in small amounts of cooked stuff...like cheese on pizza or something like that, still couldn't drink straight milk or have very much at a time. At 16mo we tested him again on the milk and he could tolerate some...now he's almost 2 and drinks milk and eats tons of cheese, he has completely outgrown it :)

Finn was bad with dairy too- I dont really eat much dairy (do soya though) so it took a while to realise (tomatos also made him puke, to add to the difficulty) I just avoided it but got quite upset because I couldnt let him be vegan and how could I bring him up veggie without dairy? :( But he's grown out of it now! he loves yoggies and has stopped puking somuch. it takes about 2 or 3weeks to get the casein protein out of your system and soya can cause a similar prob in some babies.

its good to know they can grow out of it - do u think i could switch to soy milk etc for tea?

you could try! Or rice milk. They will taste weird at first though.

Yeah I didn't drink any other milk but soy is a big allergy if it's a true dairy allergy too...I think my dr said 20% chance that they'd be allergic to soy if they are to dairy. Something like that. So we did rice milk with Hayden once he was over a year with meals and such since he didn't nurse as much then

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->