What do you actually need to have in advance of the baby arriving?

555ann555

Mummy to Gabriella
Reaction score
I'm trying to pull together a list of things we're going to need for the baby (because I'm a little bit OCD and want to know it is under control :blush:)..

I've been thinking:

To get about:
Travel system (or pram & car seat)
Moby wrap (not a necessity, but I want one!)

Personal Care:
Bath support (or baby bath)
Towels (2 or 3?)
Baby cloth/sponges
Changing mat
Nappies (how many nappies would you need for the 1st month?)
Wipes or cotton wool pads EDIT: Just cotton wool pads with water for 1st month
Nappy bags
Bathing stuff (do you actually need nappy cream if the baby doesn't have nappy rash? EDIT: Big tube of bepanthen just in case!
(Do you really need baby lotion? How about different baby shampoo and baby bath?!) EDIT: nope, just warm water 1st month
Oilve oil (for dry skin/baby massage)

Feeding
Burp cloths/muslins (EDIT: 24)
Nipple Cream
Breastpads (for leaks) (x50)
EDIT: Think Kotex Towels without wings (far more comfortable than maternity pads I'm reliably informed! :))
EDIT: Steralizer - get it in advance because you might be using dummies/pacifiers (I really don't want to use them, but now I know other people are looking at the list too! :))

(I don't know if I need it in advance of the baby or not but I want an electric breastpump, and so will need bottles, somthing to steralize with, teats... IDK what else?)

Clothes
Sleepsuits (12)
Vests (12)
Scratch mittens (6)
Bibs (12)
Hats (4)
EDIT: Sleepsuits with built in mittens :) (thanks MrsTy)
EDIT: Snowsuit
EDIT: Jacket (x2)
EDIT: Warm hat (x2)
(baby's due in April hence the warm clothes, thanks BabyHaines)

Sleeping
Cot/Cotbed/Moses Basket & mattress
EDIT: sleeping bag (EDIT: x3)
Fitted sheets (4)
Top sheets (4)
Cellular blanket (4)
(just for my own peace of mind) Angelcare monitor

What do you think I've missed?

Is there anything on my list completely unnecessary?

Hello honey,

I believe muslin squares are good all rounders (for winding etc.) My mum bought me some the other week - bless her!!
When is your baby due?? You may want to addm a snow suit, or at least a few cardi's/jacket etc.
My bubs is due in March, so I'll be getting a nice warm snow suit and a lighterweight all in one jacket type xxxx

Muslins are burp cloths hun... and ESSENTIAL! I still use them now for my 2.5yr old when she spills stuff, has a messy pudding etc etc, they are cheap, washable and a godsend!!

Nappies... I would factor for at least 8 per day for the first month... they have very runny poo and a lot of them "go" at least 3 times a day... well my daughter did! and I used to change after every feed... if they feed 4-hrly thats 6 nappies a day!

I would also get a few more blankets... cos if they puke over them, or a nappy leaks, you might get through them quicker than you can get them dry!

oh and they dont recommend baby shampoo/bath stuff/soap for the first 4 weeks or so anyway as they dont need it and it can irritate their skin! Just warm water should suffice! same is said for baby wipes... even sensitive ones!

Its always handy to have nappy cream in the house... you never know when they are going to develop a rash and it saves running out at the 12th hour to get some!

muslin clothes are great for clearing up general dribble and sick :) (we called them 'ick' clothes) :haha:

a couple of things i found very helpful:
1)baby sleeping bag (negates the need for sheets or blankets in cot/cotbed/moses basket) and baby cant wriggle under sheets so stops me worrying
2)Next sleepsuits (they have cuffs on their sleeves that turn over into scratch mitts) - my son used to lose scratchmitts ALL the time so this was sooooooo handy!

Brilliant, thank you!

Mrsty, my wee brother had some of them as a baby, the babygrows with built in mits :) I'd forgotten all about those! Gonna add them to my list...

OK, I've updated the thread to show what I was missing, or don't need for the 1st month...

But can anyone give any guidance on the numbers I was guessing on please?

Personal Care:
Towels (how many?)

Feeding
Burp cloths (EDIT: x24? that's just a guess!)

Clothes
Sleepsuits (x12? more guess work!)
Vests (12? guessing!)
Scratch mittens (6? more guessing!)
Bibs (12? I've got 10 already because I can't resist them, but do they need them much to breastfeed?)
Hats (4? I bought 2 today, but I don't have the slightest clue how many you need! :wacko:)
EDIT: Sleepsuits with built in mittens :) (6?)(thanks MrsTy)
EDIT: Snowsuit (x1? will one do if they have a jacket too?)
EDIT: Jacket (x1? Will that be enough?)
EDIT: Warm hat (x2? I'm sure I can convince my mum to knit these with the HUGE pompom on top :yipee:)
(baby's due in April hence the warm clothes, thanks BabyHaines)

Sleeping
Cot/Cotbed/Moses Basket & mattress
EDIT: sleeping bag (x2?? I'm thinking they might be sick, and if I haven't bought the bedding yet I'd need a spare. Do you think I'd be better with more than 1 spare?)
Cellular/fleece blanket (x4?)

so glad this thread is here! i feel SO lost...

Thanks for your list.... thats now my list too!! LOL!

As regards the amount of jackets/snowsuits, I think I may end up getting a couple. I may get one really warm, snuggly more expensive one, then a few cheaper lighterweight spares. Also, I intend on using either terry towelling/cloth nappies, so am going to investigate how many I need. They are by far cheaper and I hate the thought of chemicals on lo's skin (not meant to offend, just IMHO ;) ) So I doubt I'll be using wipes, so I'll stock up on some re-usuable cloths too.
I have also given strict instructions to all that I don't like any products that are tested on animals, so many toiletries are a no, no!! I have to find all alternative options.

I think your numbers seem good. Although remember the following:

*At least x1 pack Early Baby sleepsuits/vests (in case baby is small)
*At least x1 pack 0-3 sleepsuits/vests (rather than newborn, in case baby is big!!)

The other thing I really want (don't really need!! But want to indulge in!!) is a beautiful shawl. I want to bring LO home in a gorgeous shawl!! xxxx

Ooooh, and don't forget about yourself. You may need pads, breast pads etc. etc. ;)

i had 3 sleeping bags but my son was a preemie and was sick ALL the time!!!! youd prob be alright with 2.. as for sleepsuits you can never have too many my son used to wear them in the daytime too as i figured they were so comfortable why not (i know if i could get away wearing some i would! :shrug: ) plus... the more you have the less often you have to do the washing :rofl:

Ooh and definately nursing bras (prob 3)

xx

I don't think you'll need a snowsuit for April!

Also, get 3 towels. + Whether you breast or bottle feed, get a steriliser. You'll need it for dummys, and weaning equipment eventually.

I don't think you'll need a snowsuit for April!

Also, get 3 towels. + Whether you breast or bottle feed, get a steriliser. You'll need it for dummys, and weaning equipment eventually.

'Cor I will in March. I live in the middle of nowhere and it's still freezing 'til about May (and that's if we're lucky!!) I'm near the coast (Brrrrr) and my house backs onto fields!!:cold:

Really? Amelie was out of her snowsuit by the start of March. Usually April warms up a lot.

I would get a couple packets of sanitary towels as you dont know how long you will bleed for. Also, i REALLY recommend Kotex (the thick pad ones without wings not the thin regular ones) rather than maternity pads.....i hated my maternity towels and seriously, the Kotex were sooooo soft and felt so much better than the maternity towels i had. I am definately getting them for my hospital bag this time round.

Also, a swaddle blanket....i got a really thin one and it was a godsend as Maley loved being swaddled but then she could be swaddled using a regular blanket so its up to you.

If your in the U.S you will definitly need a car seat in order for you to take the baby home. The hospital won't let you leave without one.

If your in the U.S you will definitly need a car seat in order for you to take the baby home. The hospital won't let you leave without one.

That's the same in the UK now (actually, I may have made that up I don't know about the whole of the UK! I know the hospital I'm going to won't let you take the baby home without a car seat, even if you don't have a car to use it in later!)

Thanks everyone for the brilliant responses, I'll update my list!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->