What do you call.....

Ms Elizabeth

Mom to 2
Reaction score
So I have 2 step-kids (teenagers)

Their mother is currently pregnant with her new boyfriend's child. This new boyfriend has a child from a previous relationship.

So, in school, the step kids have to write about their family. I overheard the girl say she has 4 brothers. Her teenage brother (my step and her only full blood), my son (her half), her mom'sa soon to be born (her half) and this boyfriend's son.

To make things easier. Yes...they are all her brothers.

Technically....what is the boyfriend's son to her? Not half brother is it? Since he doesn't share a mother or father?

I ask because their mother likes to make it very clear that my son is not their full blood and half brother. :nope: we just want to be prepared. Not sure why their mother can't just let them call my son their brother rather than half brother...:dohh:

Hmm tricky. Not a half sibling as they don't share a parent. Not technically a step brother because they would have to be married for the boyfriends son to be considered a step sibling. Is he a long term boyfriend. Then, even if they aren't married, his son would be like a quasi-step sibling. If they haven't been together long then he really isn't anything other than the mothers boyfriends son. Technically speaking that's all he is until they are married. But if it's a longer term relationship he could be considered a step sibling. Sort of.

I hope that since she makes her kids differentiate that your son is a half sibling that she will do the same with her child. She really should let them call each other siblings even if they are only half because a half sibling is still a sibling.

Kylasbaby.....confusing right? Nah, it's a 1 way street. Our baby is their half and her new baby is their brother. Lol. Whatever. I am too busy to be petty with silly titles. Brother is brother, end of conversation. Lol. Got to love ex drama

Coming from a family where I have 2 half siblings on my mums side and 2 half siblings on my dad's side. I consider all my siblings my brother and sisters because they're related by blood. A sibling not related by blood I would say step sibling.

If/when my daughters dad has anymore children (or me for that matter) I would have no problem with her saying she had a sister/brother even though they would be half siblings. Blood is blood as far as I'm concerned

They aren't related by blood though. The mothers boyfriends child is from a previous relationship.

Sophia....their mother says my child is their step. Her new child (not with their dad) is their brother and her boyfriends kid with another is brother. So badically....her house there is no step despite no blood or half blood. One way street kind of parent. Lol

I've never put the half in to my girls heads, their sisters, my older 2 have a step sister but they refer to her as a sister which I think is nice and my youngest has 2 half siblings from her dad also just referred to as sister/brother. Can't say if it's the same at their end but so long as my girls are happy I ain't arsed. Sounds like their mam is a bit bitter to me x

Agreed. We don't bother with step. It's just a word. But yeah....mom's bitter and annoyed. We don't correct, but I was just curious how others handle it.

I think it's extremely weird that she is so insistent on putting those titles out there, and making sure her kids use them. My brother is my half brother, and I never use that term for him. He's my brother, that's it. For the step-siblings, I don't think that's necessary to term either, really, other than when specifically asked about family relationship.

Agreed, technical words are hard. Course I never want to be their mother, never pretended I was....so they need to understand that I don't correct strangers when they say how cute my kids are. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->