What do you give LO if they don't eat a meal

Tinylo

Mum to 2 boys
Reaction score
Lewis has become quite fussy about what he eats & how much :dohh:

One day he will eat lunch - 2 cubes of veggies, yogurt & a couple oz of water & tea 2 cubes of veggies, fruit puree and 6oz milk. Other days he won't eat anything for lunch and or tea. :hissy:

On the days when he doesn't want to eat do you think I should give him milk where I currently give him none and give him more milk where I give him 6oz?? Also should I still try him with his yogurt & fruit if he doesn't eat his veggies??

Thanks x

Could he be teething? Tom became so fussy when teething.

Could he be teething? Tom became so fussy when teething.

He is teething, he's got one already and I think the second is coming through.

What did you do around feeding time?? Should I just give him his milk?

some days my LO eats fruit for breakfast and veg for lunch and cereal for dinner with a cookie or two in between and some days he doesnt want the veg at all, so i offer more fruit or a cookie. he still nurses quite a lot so i dont worry and if hes hungry he'll tell me.
its sounds like your baby eats quite a lot in one meal so if he isnt interested why not try make the meals smaller?

Babies are all a big puzzle when it comes to eating.Some days they are little piggies and some days they cant be bothered.I wouldnt be worried unless it goes on for 3 days or more.He sounds as if he gets a lot in one mealtime anyways.

if maddi is at all fussy i just try the fruit over the veggies :) on the days he doesn't fancy food i would def. give lots of milk :) i agree probably teething, but like karen said, if it goes on for a few days might be worth popping along to your doc x

if it helps any, Alasdair is still putting on weight but hasn't eaten 3 proper meals in weeks. I just let him have what he wants. I mean, fruit is fruit, it's still good for them. It's not like you're giving them chocolate if they don't eat their vegetables! Today was a good example. Ally had:
breakfast - porridge (which he refused completely) yoghurt (about 5 teaspoons of it)
lunch - 2 bits of cucumber, an organix carrrot stick and half a fruit pot
dinner - 2 oz of veggies.

if it helps any, Alasdair is still putting on weight but hasn't eaten 3 proper meals in weeks. I just let him have what he wants. I mean, fruit is fruit, it's still good for them. It's not like you're giving them chocolate if they don't eat their vegetables! Today was a good example. Ally had:
breakfast - porridge (which he refused completely) yoghurt (about 5 teaspoons of it)
lunch - 2 bits of cucumber, an organix carrrot stick and half a fruit pot
dinner - 2 oz of veggies.

Thanks for this. At least I know it's not just Lewis, I keep thinking he's being naughty and devloping a sweet tooth, but I guess (I hope) he's to young to be doing that. I really don't want him to go off food completely and only take milk, then we'd have to start weaning all over again....:cry:

Is Alasdair on follow on milk yet?? How much milk do you give him at each feed?

yes he has follow on milk. He has 3 feeds a day of 6, 3 and 6 oz. Sometimes he doesn't take all of that though. I'm slightly confused to how he is putting on weight because he doesn't seem into solids OR milk at the moment! Alasdair was really keen on solids but he has 4 new teeth (to add to his bottom 2) so I'm thinking teething might be a factor with him too. Cucumber sticks have been a real hit for us!

Lewis has 4 feeds a day, 5 or 6oz of follow on milk. I didn't really want to increase these because he's not eating his solids in case he puts on loads of weight ( he's already a huge baby as the HV keeps telling me).

I haven't tried cucumber sticks yet, I'll give those a go, I'll try anything. As much as he has eaten solids in the past (pureed) and can put food in his mouth, he tends to chew it a little and then spit it all out. Definitely not in to swallowing lumps yet!!

6 teeth for Alasdair already, blimey that's really good.

Lewis is teething too, has one through on the bottom and 1 more on the way, so hopefully things will improve soon. Only 19 more to go....:dohh:

If he is teething, try putting some teegel on his gums 5-10 minutes before his feed. I do this and it makes a big difference. Its not pleasant eating when your mouth is sore. He might just prefer the yoghurt / fruit because its a bit easier to eat.

I also find that sometimes if my LO doesn't want food, I can just wait 1/2 hour and try again and then he eats.

I don't think there is anything wrong with feeding the preferred food when teething.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->