What do you read to your LO?

littletobyj

Reaction score
How often do you read to your LO?? I read a bit myself so couldn't wait to buy kids books-got a few of the ones I remember from being little. How often we have story time does vary but my son loves to sit and listen especially before bed.
What books do you read??

We love the Jolly Postman
Julia Donaldson-gruffolo series and my personal fave Monkey puzzle
Peppa pig series-perfect length and LO loves the characters from TV

Loads of things! We have a lot of picture books, especially ones like the Julia Donaldson books, some were mine as a child, we get new ones from the library every other week and the girls have a lot of their own too. I have most of my books from when I was a child, they're on shelves around the house so the kids sometimes have a look and find something they like the look of e.g. we have read a couple of Roald Dahl books to my 3.5 year old at bedtime. We also dip into Winnie the Pooh every now and then, and some children's poetry books. She enjoyed the first Araminta Spook book and also some of the Jeremy Strong books for younger kids. My youngest loves The Very Hungry Caterpillar and One Gorilla at the moment and anything with Thomas the Tank Engine is a sure hit!

I'm hoping to be able to do nightly story time. I've got books of fairy tales from my own childhood, and I couldn't resist picking up a copy of Tales of Beedle the Bard (from Harry Potter). I want Where the Wild Things Are, Very Hungry Caterpillar, Good Night Moon, and various Dr. Seuss. Basically all the classics I remember from my childhood.

I'm a big reader, so I really can't want for when mine's old enough for chapter books. I've got a crazy long list of books I want to read with him.

Apart from the usual stuff for toddlers like Gruffalo, Monkey Puzzle, Tiger who came to Tea, VHC, We're going on a bear hunt etc. My DD really loves the Mr Men and Little Miss books.

Rachel, which Roald Dahl are best for littleys? DD1 is nearly 3 and would maybe enjoy something like that. The first one I read was George's Marvellous Medicine but I was 7 at the time (it was one of my reading books that I had to read at school/homework).

The girls love hairy mclary

The girls love hairy mclary

I think I need to get that one, we are running out of books to buy and room to store them!! My LO like Shark in the Park by Nick Sharratt, as well as a few others mentioned.

I too loved r-Dahl as a child so might consider reading that to my LO too-which one is best, maybe the shorter ones like Esio Trot? There are so many now that I'm thinking-it's exciting!!

We read every night before sleep. Lucas loves the Gruffalo books, Room on the Broom, The Tiger Who Came To Tea (which I think is awful but he adores!), We're Going on a Bear Hunt.. trying to think which ones he's reading atm I think that's it! The past few weeks though it's mostly been Gruffalo's Child over and over and over and over...
He likes lift-the-flap books too like Dear Zoo etc. They're a lot of fun!

We read every night before bed. At the minutes his favourite is a book called before you go to sleep and its so lovely. He's also still a big fan of all the spot series xx

Omg Ivy loves the Jolly Postman and I find it SUCH a pain in the ass to read, all those bloody letters I always get so stressed with the witches brochure...am i supposed to read the whole damn thing?! :haha:

ATM we seem to be constantly reading her Charlie and Lola books, The Lorax and I can read with my eyes shut both by Dr Seuss, Spot the dog and The Tale of Two Bad Mice.

Once a week we go to an Oxfam bookshop near us and she chooses 1 or 2 new books but we still seem to constantly read the same ones :dohh: She bought one about a family of elephants going on a diet this week and I hated everything about it so I think Im going to give it back to Oxfam!

Ohhh and we have a kids Osborne atlas which she reads constantly. So much so that she can actually point to and name each continent on the map...not that she actually knows what a continent is!

Julia Donaldson books are favs here.

Those days he prefers to do the reading, so I bought some stage one reading books for him. We have Usborne & Julia Donaldson ones , in addition to his tag books xx

Oh we read whatever comes to hand. My son will pick his own book at bed time and Lily will be read to during the day. Her personal favourite at the moment is We're Going on a Bear Hunt. With Toby we'll either read a little story book, his book from school, or a bit more of the Harry Potter books. We're on the 3rd one now. I love reading with the kids x

LO is still to little to listen or care but I still insist on trying.

We have Thomas the tank books and Noddy books. I'm looking forward to when he is a bit older and we can have story time without him hitting me with the book!

Omg Ivy loves the Jolly Postman and I find it SUCH a pain in the ass to read, all those bloody letters I always get so stressed with the witches brochure...am i supposed to read the whole damn thing?! :haha:

ATM we seem to be constantly reading her Charlie and Lola books, The Lorax and I can read with my eyes shut both by Dr Seuss, Spot the dog and The Tale of Two Bad Mice.

Once a week we go to an Oxfam bookshop near us and she chooses 1 or 2 new books but we still seem to constantly read the same ones :dohh: She bought one about a family of elephants going on a diet this week and I hated everything about it so I think Im going to give it back to Oxfam!

Ohhh and we have a kids Osborne atlas which she reads constantly. So much so that she can actually point to and name each continent on the map...not that she actually knows what a continent is!

Lol, I'm not a fan of the witch brochure either-he asks so many questions about some of the stuff on there and it's not the greatest conversation before bedtime!

Tyler and zack pick a bedtime story each for oh to read before bed, and zack will bring me book after book to read him in the day when we are at home,they love julia Donaldson books. They're favourite books at the moment seem to be,aliens wear underpants,superworm,and monstersaurus.

Jacob's started to pick his own books before bed and he gets about 4 stories a night (depending how tired we are!).

His favourites at the moment are - Peter Rabbit collection (we have the boxset), Superworm, Top Cat, Elmer, Monkey Puzzle, The Three little pigs, Goldilocks & the three bears, Peace at last and Whatever next. He also loves The Jumblies :).

Brothers Grimm & Han Christian Anderson so far

Lol, I'm not a fan of the witch brochure either-he asks so many questions about some of the stuff on there and it's not the greatest conversation before bedtime!

I've told Ivy that the Jolly Postman is a 'morning book'...I feel for you having to go through that damn thing before bed :haha:

I dont read to my LO any more, he reads to me instead which is lovely, he loves all kind of books and will read anything, I like it when he gets stuck on a word it makes me feel useful again :flower:

I dont read to my LO any more, he reads to me instead which is lovely, he loves all kind of books and will read anything, I like it when he gets stuck on a word it makes me feel useful again :flower:

Awwww that is really sweet, just hope my LO keeps up the interest in books.
Louandivy-I like your idea with the Jolly Postman, think that can be the rule in our household:haha:

Currently on Amazon looking for new titles, wish we had a charity bookstore locally, where we are is quite rural-there are charity stores in the local town but with only a small selection of books! I have ordered Roald Dahl's The Enormous Crocodile.

We read everynight before bed 1-2 books at the mo we are reading guess how much I love you and owl babies.

Have 20-30 books down stairs (Lots of board books) and read them throughout the day
xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->