What do you think is a good "Baby Budget" ?

Lilly12

Mommy & #2 on board
Reaction score
I'm looking into the financial aspect of children.
I've been reading about it online, and seeing how other couples do it financially.
I guess it can be as cheap / expensive as you make it.

My question to you is:

1. How much do you think you'll spend on your baby a month? (in $ please, if you can)
2. How much do you think is a good amount to save up (if any at all)?
3. Do you think cloth diapers are really that much cheaper?

--
1. I think we'll spend about $200-$300 a month..(If breastfeeding doesnt work out)
We will get clothing and stuff @ thrift stores & ebay..Plus we live in Florida , where it's hot 7 months in a year, so during that time all we'd really need is little t-shirts, onesies, sleepers..maybe a few cute dresses/shorts..for going out.
Me and my husband saved up about $12,5K already and im not even pregnant yet..about 4500 will be for a midwife..(this includes prenatal care & the delivery plus aftercare and 2 or 3 checkups for the baby & me)
Then Im thinking about $750 for the initial setup..(crib, stroller, carseat etc)
3. Im not sure about cloth diapers, Im thinking we're going to use disposables and buy them in bulk @ sams club.

Thank you ladies!:kiss:

Well things are a little different for me because I live in Canada so I don't need to pay for any healthcare for the baby or the delivery. For monthly cost I would say $300 if breastfeeding doesn't work out (for diapers, formula, wipes, etc.) As for start up cost I would say more like $1500. Car seats alone are about $200-$400 and that is one thing you definately do not want to buy used or borrow from someone. Everything else just depends on how much you get from presents or friends and family that already have kids. I agree that you can really make is as inexpensive or expensive as you like. There are a lot of wants but not a lot of needs :)

Im in the UK so no healthcare costs but this is roughly what I spent whilst pregnant before - I'll attempt to do it in $ for you!

Nursery (Crib, wardrobe, drawers, changer, flooring, paint) $950
Clothes $150
Buggy $600

He goes through a tin of formula a week since birth which is £8 so about $12, nappies I buy in bulk when there on specials to spread the cost and clothes I get when he needs although it probably only amounts to about $30 a month

Pregnancy was a suprise last time so im gonna make sure we do have a bit of money put to one side so we don't have to budget to buy a buggy etc whilst pregnant I want to have atleast $2000 saved up for the big purchases.

Babys aren't THAT expensive. He wears clothes from supermarkets and I buy from the nicer shops when theres sales on.
Everybody bought bits for the baby and family wanted to buy useful bits like sterilisers/bedding.

Some months we would spend more then others but I think we spent about $5,000 in our sons first year. Not including time off from when the baby was born and childcare expenses.

We had good insurance so we didn't have to pay for the delivery but I think our bill was around $6,000 for the hospital and another $4,000 for the doctor to deliver the baby. The epidural was close to $3,000 on top of that. Doctor visits are about $100-150. I don't remember how much blood tests are but my ultrasounds were a little more then $400. I know prices can range greatly depending on where you live. Normally insurances cover at least 80%-90%.

Hope that helps....

the only stuff i pay for is formula and nappies!! everything else has been free or i have bought secondhand (ebay etc) and actually ended up selling for more money just by doing a good auction on ebay!!
failed at breastfeeding so had to get bottles etc and pay for formula which is about £24 english a month but was more when newborn. and nappies probably £15 a month maybe?
as i said everything else is freecycle, ebay, preloved.com, gumtree, nearly new sales, nct sales, car boot sales, charity shops etc

for free we got: moses basket, stand, mattress, sheets, his big cot, sheets, blankets(bought for us) cot mattress (my nan bought for us), tons of toys free,

i paid £4 for rainforest bouncer chair off ebay mint condition goes for £60 in shops because it was a crappy auction and local pick up only!

when you have 9 months to plan just STOCK UP seriously and it def helps finding out the sex all sales etc usually have blue or pink clothes

xxx

oh and prams are the same!! i bought one for £75 didn't like it sold it for £120
bought another used it for the first 6 months paid £18 sold for £80
then i got two free prams (freecycle) one i have now given to my pregnant friend the other sold £30 now just got another for £40 just checked ebay there's one going for £125

you gotta be savvy :D xxx

Oh my god those of you living in America are SERIOUSLY screwed over by your health system!!! I live in Irelandand like many of the previous posters do not have to pay very much for healthcare if anything!!!

I would probably save up around 2,500 euro before having a baby
Maybe 1000 of that on big expenses then some more for back up
After that babies don't cost TOO much. Unless you ae splurging money like it's going out of fashion. They do just need food, clothes, nappies etc.. Everything else is optional.
And disposables? I like the idea of them but don't think I would be bothered but I do think that in the long run they would end up cheaper than disposables!

Do you have health insurance hun? I'm guessing since you are using a midwife is the reason that you are not going to be covered, which completely sucks - I hate the US for this reason. If you choose to go through an OBGYN and have a hospital birth, insurance should definately cover most costs.

I'd want to have a natural birth, with a midwife @ a birthingcenter near a hospital!
I already looked into it and it would be around 4200 dollars, and if you pay cash it's a 200 dollar discount, so it would be 4000 for us..
I don't think that is THAT much concidering its including bloodwork etc & 9 months of prenatal care!
:)

I'm on the same boat as you with the natural birth hun... it's rediculous how difficult it can be in the US.

The pricing sounds very good to me xx

Considering the Americans will have different costs than us in the UK, even not taking into account them having to pay for health care, perhaps we should start a seperate thread for the UK costs of having a baby? I mean, formula might be much cheaper/dearer in the US, etc. I'm going to start one now.

We are saving 5k for the year I am off and about 2k for the baby before it comes, worked out after bills we will have a spare £800 a month for food and baby :)

I am not sure how much this will help but living in the states you can also use a few free things to help cut the costs. I too live in Florida. As far as insurance goes, you can call your insurance company and find out what your cost is for check ups after baby is born. Most of those are free or only a co pay. In the state of Florida most "well baby" checks are free by law.
Here are a few other ideas as well.

1. Freecycle.... get as many baby items for free no fee to sign up. works using emails
2. craigslist..... buy used and better prices then a thrift store. Most of this stuff has only been used once and they are done with it.
3. Coupons.... If done right you can save over 75% of your cost. I know a few weeks ago i was able to get 18 packs of baby wipes for 9 cents a piece. I have been also able to start stocking up on diapers and save a lot using the coupons. I have also been able to get a lot of baby food for free using coupons as well.

Hope this helps
Kate

I am not sure how much this will help but living in the states you can also use a few free things to help cut the costs. I too live in Florida. As far as insurance goes, you can call your insurance company and find out what your cost is for check ups after baby is born. Most of those are free or only a co pay. In the state of Florida most "well baby" checks are free by law.
Here are a few other ideas as well.

1. Freecycle.... get as many baby items for free no fee to sign up. works using emails
2. craigslist..... buy used and better prices then a thrift store. Most of this stuff has only been used once and they are done with it.
3. Coupons.... If done right you can save over 75% of your cost. I know a few weeks ago i was able to get 18 packs of baby wipes for 9 cents a piece. I have been also able to start stocking up on diapers and save a lot using the coupons. I have also been able to get a lot of baby food for free using coupons as well.

Hope this helps
Kate

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"