What do you think of..

MinnieMoo.x

Reaction score
The lady (I can't remember her name) in the papers talking about starting a family at a young age.
She had children herself at 14, and thinks that we should all be having children much younger. How I read it, she was certainly not advocating teen pregnancy but rather suggesting starting families in your 20s.

I personally would love to have a family by the time I'm 25. I think that some people are leaving it too late due to careers etc, and they are then surprised they have trouble ttc!

What do the rest of you think on the matter?

xx

I dont know tbh. I would love to have had 2 children by the time i am 27 but sometimes its not as easy as that. My sister on the other hand doesnt want children untill shes gone 30 due to her career. She loves her job and the training is extensive. she is a clynical scientist (sp) and she loves it. I think its great that women arnt just looked at for making babies and how they can go and have an amazing career. I dont think people leave it too late - its a personal choice and those women are well aware that it may take them longer or they may have more trouble concieving.

I am lucky that i met my OH when we were younger but what if you dont meet the one until you are in your late 20's and then you want a few years to enjoy each other before you bring a family in to it.

Personally i think its the womens choice and we all feel ready at different times in our lives.

xxx

I, personally, felt ready in my teens and had my son when I was 16. I honestly think it all depends on the person. I enjoy having my family younger and plan to be done with kids by the time I'm 21. But it really is all a personal decision. It's right for some people to start before their career is in place and right for others to start after their career is well established. :)

i think its good to have yoru family young but maybe im biased since im only 18 and my mum had me at 18..

I get when people say life your life go clubbing ect ect But id rather not been dealing with nappies in my 40's when in my 40's the way my life is going i could of had all of my children be working and still enjoy going out and have holidays ect

I guess id rather do my growing up young and then get to relax once ive done having babies and there all at school/ left school ect.

Another way though is my mum and dad are not even 40 yet and have there first grandchild, My oh's parents however are in there 50's, So the way i look at that bit is my parents **only by age** should be around longer to see my son grow up ect and more energy to run around with him and remember more what its like where as Oh's parents seem to have forgotten that babies have routines and just because there not happy with a 30min visit does not mean im going to break my babies routine. Also his parents when Kyle was very little very doubting things we did and also commenting on how we was holding him ect, where as yet again my parents would let us get on with it and only pass comment if we asked for help type of thing:dohh:

I hope I havnt caused any offence with my comment. I know it's a sensitive issue and obviousley there's sometimes reasons that are out of anyones control. I respect women that choose to wait, whether it's for a right partner or for their career. The only thing that baffles me is when women wait until their 40s and then get a bit of a shock when they have to try other routes.
I was very tired when I created the thread lol, it was meant to be more of a 'what age will you be trying and why?' than an attack :)
again, I'm sorry if I've caused any offence.
Xxx

Also, iPhone will only let me thank lovehearts! So thank you for all your replies. Damn technology.
X

Id rather have my children in my early 20's yet every one tells me to go out and enjoy my self but surely im going to have more money in my 40's to enjoy myself IYKWIM?

saddly OH has other ideas

Personally I want two by the time I am 28, at least before 30, I'll be 25 when our first one comes along and I think that is young enough for me as I wouldn't of been as ready as I am now when I was 20. It all depends on the person :)

I hope I havnt caused any offence with my comment. I know it's a sensitive issue and obviousley there's sometimes reasons that are out of anyones control. I respect women that choose to wait, whether it's for a right partner or for their career. The only thing that baffles me is when women wait until their 40s and then get a bit of a shock when they have to try other routes.
I was very tired when I created the thread lol, it was meant to be more of a 'what age will you be trying and why?' than an attack :)
again, I'm sorry if I've caused any offence.
Xxx

No offence caused for me, chick :thumbup:

I'm 30 now and got together witih DH when I was 25, almost 26. We got married when we were 28. It's only really in the last six months or so that we've been financially and emotionally stable enough to consider having a baby (not that we were rocky in our relationship, more that we'd had long enough to know each other properly, just time to be 'us' before jumping into having kids).

I've got friends who are single now, aged 29/30/31 and they're not after much - someone who is financially stable, and willing to commit to some sort of relationship, but they just can't seem to find anyone (and they're not being all that fussy either!) :nope: We all live in London and it seems to be particularly difficult to meet people here for some reason :shrug:

I think if you've (generally, not you specifically) met your OH/DH in your early 20s then you're very lucky. For a lot of women it's not a case of leaving it late, they just don't meet anyone they want to settle down with. There are some women who put their careers first, but I don't think they're as prevalent as health professionals/the media makes out...

Its obviously all down to pewrsonal preference and the persons life. Some women are much more career driven will obviously decide to have children later on. I had my son when I was 20, was 19 when fell pg. I didnt feel I had missed out on much as I had done a fair bit and had a pretty good well paid job. Im now 22 and we are planning baby no.2 which (if all goes to plan) would be born a few months before im 24. I dont think we can say whewther its right or wrong to have kids at whatever age, its all done to the person :)

I personally am going to be starting my family when I'm 20 (I'm 19 now, about to start TTC)
Everyone I say that too is like WOAH YOU'RE FAR TOO YOUNG but I think it's just personal preference.
Most people my age go out and get drunk most nights, sleep around and their biggest problem is what she said to her and who slept with who.
PERSONALLY I just don't enjoy living like that. It's just not me..
"Go out and enjoy yourself" - I do go out occasionally, but I just don't enjoy it. I enjoy staying in with my dogs and cleaning the house, making food and decorating etc. It's what I enjoy! So what!

It's like on The Sims, where you have 'life aspirations'. Some women have a career aspiration. Some have money, and some.. Like me.. Have a family aspiration.
That's all I want from life, sure I want to be successful and I do have a career in the pipeline but it's not my main ambition for life.
So why wait?
I'm as mature as any 30 year old in terms of money and relationships. I'm engaged to be married, I'm about to get a mortgage in a few months time.. So why should I wait?
Also, my favourite band is Rancid and my favourite album by them is "LIFE WON'T WAIT"
So i like to stick by that.
I want to be young and run around with my kid, I want to be young enough to understand and remember what they're going through, I want my parents and OH's parents to be fit enough to spend time with them, and while my grandparents are still enough it would bless me for them to meet.

Anyway.. Career doesn't always have to come before family.
It is possible to do both!!!!

Sorry this was very long!..

I think it depends on the person. Some are ready in their early 20's but some are not ready until their 30's. It's all about finding the right person, settling down and having money to provide for a LO. I'm 22 and we only have a handful of friends that are engaged/married with children. A lot of our friends in their 20's are no where near being able to provide for a child or let alone ready to settle down. I think there is nothing wrong with starting a family young as long as you're ready as I'm a young mommy myself and wouldn't want it any other way!

My take on the whole thing is this.

For myself I plan to start tryng for my first this year, I will be 22 when trying and at least 23 by the time I have my first LO. For me, it suits me emotionally and financially to have a child now, and I think I am mature for my age and (hopefully) would make a nice and loving mummy!

But some women, for whatever reason, don't have children in their 20's, be it by choice or not. Some like to travel the world, some focus on their careers and some people emotionally just develop later. (Just look at men! :haha:)

The media always have too much focus on what should be the 'correct age', most women know the risks of trying later in life, but then I know ladies at work in thier 30's who concieve no problem, whereas others in their 20's are going through hell trying.
I hold no judgement and I wish luck to any women who make the decision to try for children, whether it be in their teens or late 50's. For them its right and I wish them the best of luck.

:smug: Haha thats my little moment over!

I used to think that u had to educate yourself and establish a career before u even thought about starting a family, which would make u in mid to late twenties at least? Now, while I still believe in getting a good education, realise that the career thing isn't for everyone. My career ideas now are totally diff to what they were when I first started studying, now I'm not so bothered about it and will hopefully be able to go part time when I have a LO. I'm still glad I done it tho but I'm going to be 27 in a few months but am totally ready now! I rem saying when I was 20 and my friend was expecting her first that I would wait to at least 30, if ever, before having kids. Funny how things change eh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->