What do you think?

Srrme

Reaction score
We've come across two names we like - Cyril (pronounced with a SY instead of SEE) and Castor. What do you think of them? :D Do you have a preference of the two? Are they too odd?

EDIT:

We're leaning more toward Cyril. Here's a few middle names we (mainly my husband) has thought of.

Cyril Aris
Cyril Castor
Cyril Atreides (my husband LOVES the name Atreides, but I'm not too sure? :lol:) Is this WAY too out there? It's Greek.

HONEST opinions, please!

I prefer Cyril. Castor reminds me of caster sugar :dohh:

I like Cyril (FIL's best man was named Cyril). The only thing I see you having problems with is getting people to pronounce it with SY instead of SEE. Other than that, love the name!

I like Cyril (FIL's best man was named Cyril). The only thing I see you having problems with is getting people to pronounce it with SY instead of SEE. Other than that, love the name!

Hmm. When my husband and I first saw it, we pronounced it with a SY instead of SEE, haha. We had no idea it was pronounced with a SEE until I looked up the origin of the name online and saw how it was pronounced too!

People always pronounce our Elias (we pronounce it with an UH not an EE) wrong too so it might not be that big of a deal for us. :haha:

I really like Cyril. As for Castor... well... it means beaver in French so that makes me a little uncomfortable! But if no one around you speaks French it shouldn't be a problem.

I really like Cyril. As for Castor... well... it means beaver in French so that makes me a little uncomfortable! But if no one around you speaks French it shouldn't be a problem.

Oh, wow! I did not know that! Haha. How funny. :) We're leaning more toward Cyril too! :happydance:

I'm sorry, but I dislike both names. :flower: Plus, I hate that my name is always mispronounced so I try to avoid choosing a name that has various pronunciations.

I'm sorry, but I dislike both names. :flower: Plus, I hate that my name is always mispronounced so I try to avoid choosing a name that has various pronunciations.

Thanks. I'm not too worried about it being mispronounced. It's easily corrected. :)

I like the way Castor sounds more than Cyril, but it reminds me of castor oil which in turn reminds me of poo. So I think I'm leaning more towards Cyril. I did know a Cyril but he was pronounced SEE. I think it will be mispronounced often, even if it doesnt bother you it might bother your son who will have to continually correct people. Maybe you could spell it Syril?

Castor reminds me of Castor oil. I prefer Cyril. Although I think most people will pronounce it SEE-rill unless you tell them otherwise.

ya.....I think of Castor Oil too.

Cyril I actually didn't pronounce it either of the ways that have been discussed. I was say 'cy' as in cry or sty or my. I was pronouncing the 'y' sound.

But like you said...correcting is an easy thing to do.

ya.....I think of Castor Oil too.

Cyril I actually didn't pronounce it either of the ways that have been discussed. I was say 'cy' as in cry or sty or my. I was pronouncing the 'y' sound.

But like you said...correcting is an easy thing to do.

:rofl: When we first told my MIL the name she said it reminded her of Castor Oil too.

That's how we pronounce Cyril. I would have never guessed it was pronounced See-Ril.

I think a lot of people can mispronounce names, even if they're common names. If people ever do mispronounce a name it's when they're reading it, so I don't think it would happen THAT often. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->