What does Osama's Death mean for the world now??

LulaBug

Mum of 6
Reaction score
I totally get WHY Osama needed to be assassinated. For some people, there may be the underlying feeling that although he did such horrible nasty things, he was a person and that assassinating him was just as hateful etc, if this is you, you are entitled to that view.

For the majority though, people are relieved beyond belief that another potential Hitler has been brought down.

I live in the UK so saw at the age of 14 on television the breaking news of 9/11 as it was happening and it was very hard to take in, it was like something you only see in the movies. This comes from a view of someone who was miles away and still had that shocked feeling and complete sadness for those who lost their lives.

To those in the States who were there at the scene and saw first hand the destruction and tragedy unfold, this has got to be some kind of "Victory" in some way, simply because the person who masterminded it, can no longer mastermind anymore.

I think the main concern now is....What does it mean for the world now that Osama has gone? Nowhere is really all that safe. The UK faced it's own terrorist attack with our 7/7. There is bound to be some form of retaliation.

It is obvious terrorists do not fear for their own lives, they demonstrated this on both 9/11 and 7/7, they think nothing of other peoples lives either. They do things the only way they know how, in the extreme.

What precautions should be in place? What defences should be in place?

I am glad that Osama has gone but I do fear there is going to be a HUGE backlash because of this now and I think we need to be prepared that something could happen to maybe try and avenge his death. Wow...this sounds really deep, but I don't know, I think it's a worry on a few peoples minds.

So what are your views? :coffee:

Carnage no doubt. We have the Olympics next year, there could be lots of repercussions from this.

America will no doubt ask UK for help and we will accept the invitation and get deep into it as always.

I think we are f#cked tbh.

They will retaliate and they will do it in a big way. They will use his death to justify it completely.

I imagine all western countrys will be on even higher alert then normal but its never going to be enough is it :(

I was watching the news and the US Ambassador to the UK said that US citizens here need to be on alert. Uhhhhhhh, why? Is there going to be some guy coming in and hunting down on the US citizens? I can imagine I'll be getting some questions about how I feel about all this. To be honest, I thought he was dead a long time ago and they were just covering it up. Hopefully, it means that things will start to settle down though. I would like to see that.

I'm quite nervous to see what's going to happen next.
They will do something, but it's just a matter of when and where! Not looking forward to it :( but glad Osama is dead, dickhead!

I guess there was also a warning issued for American citizens abroad (like me :lol:) to be careful of anti-American sentiments....I don't think I'm at much risk for that being in the UK, I hope.

Wait, I got confuzzled and posted twice about the same thing, lmao!

That's definitely scary. ^^

People are just crazy :shrug:

I guess there was also a warning issued for American citizens abroad (like me :lol:) to be careful of anti-American sentiments....I don't think I'm at much risk for that being in the UK, I hope.

My dad and baby sister live in Abu Dhabi i worry about them sometimes

There's just a lot of worry about retaliation against Americans. I hope they're safe. They were saying that if Americans abroad need help, they should go to the US Embassy.

I worry that some of these nutters will just go after any westerner

I'm very worried about the consequences of this death. I am glad to see that this is a victory for the world (one small step in squashing terrorism), but at the same point, I don't think this is going to be helping much. A friend of mine, a marine currently in Afghan, said that there was very little celebration by him and his friends. They feel that this kind of makes things worse for them over there-- On the news they were already talking about hundreds of suicide bombers who've been training for something like this. It's sad to think that things could be never ending.

The worst part of all of this is the unknown. An attack will probably happen. But when? where? how?
I remember the fear I felt after 9/11. I don't want my daughter to have to live in fear.

Terrorists have never cared for their own safety as history has shown time after time. While 7/7 and 9/11 were co-ordinated attacks, most of the terrorist attacks in the UK over the last 40 years have been smaller but devastating. Car bombs and bombs in cafes etc do not require the same amount of planning and I fear that those are the types of attacks that we face for the next while. The thing is that during the 70s/80s people in Britain lived with constant threat of IRA terrorism but life did carry on. Fear is natural but you have to find a way to keep on living.

I don't think his death will change anything. It will be a vicious cycle of "you bomb me, I bomb you" and on and on. Our generation is hopeless. We can however try our best for our LOs generations and beyond by ensuring we teach them love, forgiveness, diplomacy and that we are all one. That is idealistic, but not unrealistic.

I agree with Huggermom..
It will always be an eye for an eye..
The way the terrorists have done ( based on history) is wait till things calm down then strike again.

I think the terrorist attacks now are going to be horrific :nope: I don't like to think about it!

One thing I'd like to point out though - is why did the american forces bury his body at sea :wacko: I understand they fear people may have used his burial ground as a shrine etc but I just think it's all a bit ''convenient'' iykwim? I don't mean to put a downer on it, or sound like a crazy conspiracy theorist but I think for what that man did, people deserve to see him truly gone x

There a fair few people who are very sceptical about it and don't believe he is dead at all.

I tend to fall into the belief category that it would be a very bad move to provide information like this falsely. The repercussions from this may very well be great and I think it would be very foolish of Obama to put USA and UK and even the rest of the world at risk by providing false information.

The thing of him being buried at sea, for some, there are two ways of looking at it.

1)Soldiers are sometimes buried at sea as a mark of respect and honour
2)It's apparently common in Islam for this to happen also, whether it's out of respect and honour, I do not know.

I do think certain questions need answered but for now...I think we should maybe hold on to that shred of hope that a vile despicable man who caused nothing but pain to thousands, is now....hopefully and apparently dead!

While I am as appalled as the next person at the terror tactics of any extremist group, I don't think assassinating Osama bin Laden was a good move. I think the victims of his terror attacks would have had far more justice if he had been captured and brought to trial.
And I think it would have taken the wind out of the extremists' sails if the world had watched the USA treat him as a POW with all his rights.
Assassinating him made him into even more of a martyr and added fuel to an already large fire.
If our aim is peace and justice; if our aim is understanding and acceptance between east and west, then I do not think this was a wise political move.

I was watching the news and the US Ambassador to the UK said that US citizens here need to be on alert. Uhhhhhhh, why? Is there going to be some guy coming in and hunting down on the US citizens? I can imagine I'll be getting some questions about how I feel about all this. To be honest, I thought he was dead a long time ago and they were just covering it up. Hopefully, it means that things will start to settle down though. I would like to see that.

This made me giggle, just the image of some guy walking round the UK looking only for US citizens.

What he probably meant though is that other countries such as the uk are as likely to be targeted as the US, so to be aware of that.

I think the terrorist attacks now are going to be horrific :nope: I don't like to think about it!

One thing I'd like to point out though - is why did the american forces bury his body at sea :wacko: I understand they fear people may have used his burial ground as a shrine etc but I just think it's all a bit ''convenient'' iykwim? I don't mean to put a downer on it, or sound like a crazy conspiracy theorist but I think for what that man did, people deserve to see him truly gone x

I think they buried him at sea because no country would accept his body for burial. Islam beleives that the dead has to be buried within 24hrs of death.
I think they did a DNA test on the body first before disposing the body.

I beleive he is truely gone since you wouldn't be able to lie about something like that.. Osama would have his face in front of a camera but quick to make the Americans look like fools !

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->