What does your 2 year old say?

Teri7489

Proud mummy
Reaction score
My son will be 2 at the end of this month but doesn't say much.

He can say daddy, mummy, juice, mulk (milk), don't know, Teddy, there she is, ready steady go, Bea (what he calls his sister), bunny, mum mum (dummy) and oww (when he gets hurt)

I keep seeing he should have around 50 words by now and his cousin is 2 months younger than him but seems much more talkative. His sister was so chatty from early on so I've never compared them. Is it just a case of "every kid will do it in their own time"

I'm LO had very basic words at 2, she is now 2yrs 5months and can say so much. Even putting two words together, naming colours, starting to count. Not what I expected to happen 5 months ago, but her vocabulary just exploded:)

My son had his language explosion around 2 years 2 months, he was my first. He seemed quite "normal" in his development.

My daughter has been speaking in complete sentences since a couple months before turning 2. She took to speech much quicker with a slightly older sibling. She seems like she is hardly behind her 4 year old brother in vocabulary and comprehension, even though I know he's much further along. She is 26 months now.

Lunch DS2 turned two a couple of weeks ago and he talks extremely well for his age - 5 word sentences. Both of my kids have been early talkers but my niece said basically nothing until she was 3 and now at 6 she is completely normal and you can't shut her up.

There's a really wide range of normal for language development but if your son seems behind the development guidelines it's a good idea to keep an eye on it as he grows up.

When my DD was 2 she was only starting to say to odd word in addition to mama, dada, baba etc. A few months later she started saying lots more though.

I know he understands language so maybe he will start to have a wider vocabulary soon. I can tell him it's bedtime and he will find his blankie and bear and go upstairs, or if I say it's lunch/dinner for example he will go sit at the table. He also knows where his tummy/nose/head/eyes and ears are by pointing I'm not overly worried I just thought he would be saying a bit more by now

My son at 2 was only really saying basic words and couldn't express himself the way he wanted to so got very frustrated. He used to grunt a lot at that point.

By the time he was 3 however, he was speaking in full sentances. He was about 2 and a half when things just clicked into place and he wouldnt stop talking :)

I know he understands language so maybe he will start to have a wider vocabulary soon. I can tell him it's bedtime and he will find his blankie and bear and go upstairs, or if I say it's lunch/dinner for example he will go sit at the table. He also knows where his tummy/nose/head/eyes and ears are by pointing I'm not overly worried I just thought he would be saying a bit more by now

The fact that his receptive language is well developed is great, DS had excellent receptive language long before he had all his expressive language skills, that may be more about actual physical development of the vocal ability.

Like PP has said, there is a wide range of normal!

Thanks everyone. It's difficult not to compare even though I really really shouldn't. he will surprise me one day and just start talking I'm sure. it's nice to see how different everyone else kids are and the stages they develop. love this site x

I feel like it was only a few months ago where I was asking our pediatrician if it was normal that my son wasn't really speaking much. The pediatrician asked if he understands when spoken to, and he does. In fact earlier that day when we were being called for our turn, my son actually turned away and started to run because seeing the dr isn't one of his favorite places at all. A few months later he started talking and it really surprised me how much he could say. His enunciation isn't very clear so strangers sometimes can't understand what he's saying, but DH and I and his other caretakers have no trouble.

It will probably just take some time!

My ds2 could only say 3 words right up until just before his third birthday - yes, no and mum. He had his own noises that to him were words and he also invented his own sign language. His hv said as his comprehension was good he wouldn't qualify for any speech and language input. Then he just suddenly started talking and now honestly will not stop, he just keeps chatting away to himself all the time. I'm sure you're lo will get there but it is really difficult just waiting

As long as his understanding is good I wouldn't worry. If your still concerned at 2.5 than maybe look at getting advice from a professional. If your UK based he will have his 2 year check soon anyway so you could raise your concerns then, but sounds fine to me.

My DD had 4 words at 10 months old (mom, dad, dog, cat) and didn't say anything else for a long time. THen around 16 months she just started coming out with all sorts of words, now at 20 months she has to have around 100 words and can put them together in simple phrases. However her pronunciation isn't always great and a lot of words sound the same so you need to use the context to figure out what she is saying (ex bird and book sound exactly the same). Every day she will point to something and say 'that?', I'll tell her once what the word is for that object and that is all it takes for her to add a new word to her vocabulary. So when you LO does start showing interest in speaking expect it to escalate quickly! Today my DD has learned the words towel and helicopter. In contrast, my nephew didn't say a single word until he was 3, at which point he just started speaking in full sentences and now at age 6 his speach is just as good as any other kid his age. They all just develop different skills at different ages, I wouldn't worry if I were you.

Thomas only started talking at 23ish months, he had a few words but they grew quickly. I think he has 4-5 word sentences within 1--2 months.

Sophie was jabbering away quite well, you could have a conversation with her by 20 months.

DD2 is 2 at the end of next month. A couple of months ago I was worrying about her not saying lots and then just a few weeks ago she had a leap in her language and says a fair amount now. She'll say simple sentences like "what is it?" and "put it down there" and has probably 50 or so independent words and will parrot most words we say (but doesn't incorporate them into her vocabulary yet). My DS was older when he started speaking and was a bit delayed and my DD1 was my earliest talker (she was talking earlier than DD2 but I can't remember what she was doing when, bad mother :blush:) but you wouldn't know it now.

DD2 has always been a good talker she will be 2 in December and has around 100 words and says two/three word sentences .

DD1 on the other hand had around 50 words by the time she was 2 . She's under a speech therapist now . From what I've been told as long as they have good understanding it will all come out in the end .

I've found using makaton sign language for the main things such as food drink toilet biscuit etc helped us a lot I even use these with DD2 .

If your worried speak to your HV they will usually do an assessment . X

My son can speak in full sentence and has been for awhile. My daughter didn't until she was 3.

My ds2 could only say 3 words right up until just before his third birthday - yes, no and mum. He had his own noises that to him were words and he also invented his own sign language. His hv said as his comprehension was good he wouldn't qualify for any speech and language input. Then he just suddenly started talking and now honestly will not stop, he just keeps chatting away to himself all the time. I'm sure you're lo will get there but it is really difficult just waiting

My older brother was the same, he had a handful of words until he was around 2.5 and then just started speaking in full sentences. Apparently it is somewhat common with children who are very smart, they don't want to talk until they have the capacity to express themselves articulately. My brother was/is extremely intelligent so it was true in his case (and conversely, I was a much earlier talker than him but sadly lack his smarts :cry: :haha:)

My LO only knew a few words during those times. The words were mommy, daddy, wawa (water), mik (milk), numnums (meaning to eat). I guess speech development will totally depend on you baby and how fast they can adapt to it. Just allow them to grow and learn on their own pace and help them by talking more with them. But do not do it too much because they can get frustrated ass well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->