What foods to avoid?

rollachick

Reaction score
Hi all.
So im new to this section I'm probably around 5weeks.
Just wondering what foods and drinks are they most important to avoid? Ive had so many things told to me that it seems i cant eat anything atm :wacko:

The most common ones ive been told are:
Caffeine
Alcohol (obvious)
Soft cheese (camembert, brie, feta ect)
Cold meats (ham, pepperoni, cold chicken ect)
Any deli foods
Mayonnaise
Under cooked eggs
Fast food burgers that contain lettuce (apparently the veges can carry salmonella)
Subway sandwiches (same reason as burgers).
Pre bagged lettuce

Any other ideas of what to avoid would be great, want to try and stay as healthy as possible and not eat anything that could harm my baby.

Mayo? Omg I love mayo..I've heard a few of those and tuna. I'm still learning too!

Mayo? Omg I love mayo..I've heard a few of those and tuna. I'm still learning too!

Yea seen its made with eggs apparently its not recommended in the first trimester.
Yea and any seafood is best to avoid.

Oh man..I'm making crab and shrimp pie tom..I'm cravinf it so bad..just a little should be okay huh lol

Caffeine is okay in small doses, no way am I giving up my morning coffee!
I don't see why you can't have bagged lettuce as long as you wash in throughly. You can eat soft cheeses as long as they are cooked (eg on pizza).
Supermarket mayo is fine as it doesn't contain raw eggs.
Hummus should be avoided as tahini can carry listeria. Sushi is big no no. Deli meats are fine if cooked but they're kinda gross anyway so I don't eat them.
Unpasturised milk and yogurt should be avoided :)

Caffeine is okay in small doses, no way am I giving up my morning coffee!
I don't see why you can't have bagged lettuce as long as you wash in throughly. You can eat soft cheeses as long as they are cooked (eg on pizza).
Supermarket mayo is fine as it doesn't contain raw eggs.
Hummus should be avoided as tahini can carry listeria. Sushi is big no no. Deli meats are fine if cooked but they're kinda gross anyway so I don't eat them.
Unpasturised milk and yogurt should be avoided :)

Yea im still having my morning coffee, much to my sisters disgust, she thinks i shouldnt, but every thing ive read says up to about 200mg a day is fine, which is the same as 2 small coffees

Thats good to no about soft cheese on pizza as i love my apricot chicken camembert pizzas :thumbup:

Ive heard that sushi is fine just not the fish ones, my sil has eatn it all the way thru both her pregnancys.
Guess thats what i mean bout everyone having different opinions.

Here is some info I went sent from my RE office and thought I would share with all of you ladies:

HERE IS SOME ADVICE IN CARING FOR YOURSELF DURING YOUR PREGNANCY

-Pregnant women can safely eat up to 12 ounces per week of low mercury fish, such as: Carp, Mahi Mahi, Dungeness crab, Blue crab, Monkfish, Freshwater Perch, Fresh Pacific albacore tuna, snapper, Skate, Cod, Canned chunk light tuna, Anchovies, Butterfish, Calamari, Caviar, Crab, Pollock, Catfish, Whitefish, Sturgeon-farmed, Ocean Perch, Scallops, Flounder, Haddock, Hake.

-Eat no more than 6 oz/week of the following high mercury fish:
Saltwater Bass, Halibut, Grouper, Canned albacore tuna, Croaker, Bluefish, Sea Trout, Fresh bluefin or Ahi tuna, American Maine Lobster, Orange Roughy.

-AVOID eating highest mercury fish such as Tilefish, King Mackeral, Swordfish, Shark ( (a complete list for specific fish rcommendations, go to www.epa.gov/ost/fish or www.oehha.ca.gov/fish.html).

- Avoid raw or undercooked meat, chicken, or fish.
- Avoid meat spreads, raw or undercooked eggs (or foods containing these).
- Avoid raw sprouts or alfalfa
- Avoid soft cheeses, such as feta, brie, Camembert, Roquefort, blue-veined, queso blanco, queso fresco or Panela, unless the cheese is labeled as made with pasteurized milk
- Avoid raw or unpasteurized milk or foods that contain unpasteurized milk.
- Avoid kitty litter, hot tubs, hot baths, saunas, tanning beds.
- No Smoking, drugs, alcohol

DO:
- Drink bottled or filtered water when you drink water
- 8-10 glasses of liquid/day (does not have to be only water).
- Choose caffeine-free, non-alcoholic drinks.
- Take an over the counter Prenatal vitamin with DHA (200) daily. Make sure it contains 400-800mcg of Folic Acid. If unable to tolerate the Prenatal vitamin, take the Folic Acid separately.
- Exercise at least 3-4 times weekly, ie start walking daily most days for 5-10 minutes at a fast enough pace as to be slightly winded, but able to carry on a conversation easily. Gradually increase your time to 30 min on most days.
- OK to continue with your regular exercise routine if you have been doing it for awhile. Avoid strenuous or high impact exercises to avoid injury.

TRAVEL:
Travel is safe during pregnancy, but try to stay well hydrated and get up and walk around at least every 1-2 hours to reduce your risk of dangerous blood clots. You can fly until 35 weeks internationally and 36 weeks in this country. However, I advise my patients that it would be better to travel prior to 32 weeks because of the risk of preterm labor/delivery - travel does not increase the risk, but if you were to have preterm labor or delivery, it is best to be close to your OB provider (and hospital) who is familiar with your care. I do not advise travel in the first trimester if there is any bleeding.

BLEEDING &/OR CRAMPING:
- If you have any cramping, rest and increase fluid intake. Call the clinic if not relieved. Go to the Emergency Room if it severe.
- If you experience any spotting (common) or bleeding, rest, increase fluid intake and call the clinic.
- If bleeding and cramping are moderate to severe (ie soaking a maxi pad an hour for 3 hours in a row), go to the Emergency Room.

NAUSEA &/OR VOMITING:
Take Prenatal Vitamin at bedtime. Stop if still nauseated and take Folic Acid 800 mcg/day.
Eat small frequent meals, saltines, ginger ale (anything with ginger may help)
Try Tums
Sip liquids frequently throughout the day too avoid dehydration (Jamba Juice works great!)

You can also try:
1. Powdered ginger- 250 mg capsule 4 times per day ( over the counter )
2. Sea-band wrist band (sold for sea sickness)
3. Vitamin B6- 50mg 2-3 times/day ( over the counter )
4. Doxylamine (Unisom)- 12.5mg (1/2 tablet) with vitamin B6, 3-4 times per day ( over the counter sold as Unisom, with other sleeping aids)

CALL IF UNABLE TO EAT OR DRINK, CONTINUOUS VOMITING, OR WEIGHT LOSS.

HEADACHE:
Try massage, rest, cool washcloth on forehead.
Acetaminophen (such as Tylenol).
Do not take aspirin or ibuprofen (such as Motrin, Advil,)

COLD SYMPTOMS:
Rest, drink plenty of liquids, use a vaporizer, humidifier, or shower for nasal congestion,.
Acetaminophen (such as Tylenol) for aches and fever ( over the counter )
Pseudoephedrine (such as Sudafed) for stuffy or runny nose ( over the counter )
Chlorpheniramine (such as Chlortrimeton) for allergies ( over the counter )

oh no, im a little concerned by the no subway bit here, because I've been eating like 3 a week for the last 3 weeks. My OH finishes work at 2:30am and there is a 24hour subway next door, so with me being hungry all the time I've been getting him to grab me a sandwich on his way home :-(

Is it ok to eat French fries from McDonalds?

I live in Thailand and the list of foods they recommend you avoid is not so big here, but I have been checking out different things online for myself.

I cant think of much that hasnt already been covered...just buffet style foods...anything that is prepared and then left for hours so that people can keep serving themselves ie at parties...always go to restaurants that cook the meals there and then.

I'm craving cheese and tomato sandwiches or marmite on toast...Tomatoes and marmite contain lots of folic acid I've read, so it's a good craving to have...also seems to help when I'm feeling nauseous

It's not something you need to avoid, but I found cutting out meat has helped reduce my nausea as well

OMG, as a vegetarian (who doesn't like soft cheeses), I thought all the foods I had to avoid were foods I didn't eat anyway.

But I see hummus and alfalfa sprouts listed above??? Noooo! Can that be right? The pack I got from my doctor didn't list these as problematic :(

I think it depends which country we live in, i've never heard of houmous being a problem before!

Liver and pates arent on your list and should be avoided.

I havent heard to avoid hummus either...I'm a veggie and would be very stuck without hummus!

I'm most surprised about the no hot baths- we are without a shower for a few weeks so I have no choice! And I've been having a bath every evening so far, as its relaxing.

The main things I got told to avoid was:

Shellfish- but mainly anything with a shell (mussels, etc)
Soft cheeses
Any milk or cheese that says un pasteurised
Alcohol
Smoking
Mayo (homemade)
Under or part cooked eggs

I was told that caffeine should be avoided where you can, but you're allowed 200mg a day so I still have my one cup of coffee in the morning (which my doc said is about 100mg) and a little bit of chocolate :)

Browniebaby, I'd be very stuck without hummus too! Maybe natnee is right and it depends on what country you live in? Hmm...

Dougal, as long as your baths are warm, not hot, you'll be fine.

Hummus is on the list where I live :(

I think hummus is only on the list of foods to avoid in NZ. I looked into this a lot in my first pregnancy. What I found out is that store bought hummus can be risky as listeria in other foods in the production line can get in (from soft cheeses or pates) even though they shouldn't!

Best thing to do is make your own hummus and consume all within a few days. In NZ my midwife said homemade hummus was also on the list of foods to avoid, however she said she had been practicing for 20+years and for most of that time it was not on the list of foods to avoid. I asked around and it seems that because the tahini used to make it spends a lot of time in transit getting to NZ there's a chance that it could go rancid.

I'm super cautious with food when pregnant but I just don't see the sense in saying no to homemade hummus, it's really healthy especially when pregnant. I can smell if a jar of tahini has gone off same as I would if a jar of nut butter had gone off.

As far as I can tell other countries don't say avoid hummus, has anyone outside of New Zealand heard of this?

So what does everyone eat for lunch? I normly had subway or bakery or homemade sandwich with ham or some deli meat, do now im stuck on easy healthy ideas for lunch?

I usually have a homemade hummus and salad sandwich for lunch!

Couscous with roasted veg is a good one, but takes some preparation. Tuna and sweetcorn pasta, salads etc.

OMG I've eaten feta cheese, pre made salad, mcdonalds burger and sliced ham. :( Eugh, I should have known better it's my second time round. :(:(

Also, a little tip with the coffee, sometimes if I really want a coffee I use half decaff and half regular, tastes the same and does the trick. :D

I am in the UK and my doctor said to me the only thing I have to worry about in this country is soft cheese, I asked about feta and he said that is fine its vacuum packed and treated. Other than that just to use common sense. I ate a gregs sandwich yesterday and don't feel guilty. I don't take ice when I am out for food as I have worked in enough restaurants to know how dirty the ice machines are :wacko: Also the fizzy drinks guns, rank. In fact water is my biggest fear I stick to the bottled when out and about

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->