What goes in must come out!

thelilbump

♥ mummy to a princess ♥
Reaction score
Well that's the politest way i could think of talking about poo!

I'm not quite sure where i should be posting this so apologies if it's in the wrong place.

I've been weaning Mill's for 2 weeks now and she's just started on veg, namely sweet potato and carrot and a new meal, breakfast, making 2 meals a day. I also breastfed her. My poor girl has been struggling to poo though. She didn't go for days and now it's all coming out but it's so hard and dry and she's really thrutching *sp* (straining) to get it out and crying with tummy ache. Is there anything i can do to help her?

She sounds like she's constipated. Give her some cooled boiled water or some diluted prune or apple juice. Or you can try giving her peas or prunes

Thats odd that carrots constipated her.... but like rae said, give her some diluted prune juice.

If you've just started weaning I would give 1 food only for a couple days so you can pinpoint which ones upset her and any allergies etc.

Peas, carrots and pears have been the best so far for us. They are all easy to digest.

As the others have said above all those things will work.

I have read that it can sometimes be more difficult for a breastfed baby to switch to solids as they are so used to having such runny poos! If the problem with constipation persists then ask your doctor for some Lactulose, Amelia was having 5ml one a day for a month it really helped her.

(Lactulose is quiet safe it is just sugar (i think) but it draws water into their bowel making their poos softer, you will also need to make sure she has a fair amount to drink)

A natural remedy that has worked really well for us is pureed apple, pear and prune.

parsnips really constipate katie, and carrots have the exact opposite effect!!

try massaging her tummy clockwise should help a bit xx

Thanks for your advice ladies :hugs:

well we did wonder if it was because she's not used to having to ...well.. put a bit of effort into it! i'll keep trying different fruits and avoid banana. We're currently trying to teach her to drink from a cup but even the little water she's getting from it is surely better than none.

I didn't realise babies could have lactulose, i've still got some from after giving birth (i had a 3rd degree tear) tho i'll ask the docotor first if it carries on. Guess i'm gonna be on nappy watch these next few days :blush:

katie's face is so funny when she goes, her eyes boggle and she sticks her tongue out!! its the funniest thing iv ever seen!!

katie's face is so funny when she goes, her eyes boggle and she sticks her tongue out!! its the funniest thing iv ever seen!!

:rofl: i know what you mean Amelia does the funniest face it always has me in stitches. I really need to stop i don't want to give her a complex!! :blush:

What the others said really....I try to balance any foods that I know constipate Hannah with pears/peaches/prunes/peas (and prune and apple juice)

:rofl: i know what you mean Amelia does the funniest face it always has me in stitches. I really need to stop i don't want to give her a complex!! :blush:

i kno! millie looks like she's really concentrating and using all her force bless her!!

I have the same problem with Jaiden, it does make me laugh tho the faces he pulls!!!
Anyway i normally try and put prune juice in with his fruit every other day, and give him approx 3 oz of juice or water each day. Another good thing to do although this sounds alittle gross is to put alittle vaseline on her bottom so when she starts to poo it slides out easier!....it works! Health visitor adviced that!!!!
Or give her lactulose, i hve been using just 2.5mls every other day( the day i dont give prune juice) and things seem to be working alittle better now!
Finally avoid giving her lots of baby rice- this just makes the constipation worse! x

ahh so you just put prune juice in with his fruit? that's a good idea because my LO won't take a cup and thouygh we keep trying she's still not taking enough fluid from it. guess apple juice would work like that too, never really thought of doing it like that! :dohh:

Pears seem to make Kathryn a bit 'runny'! Know what i mean??? they might help to get her going!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->