What happend to medium risk?

Celesse

Reaction score
..or just a little higher than low risk? It seems you are either "Low risk" or "High risk". I had a normal pregnancy last time, and am having a normal pregnancy this time. I'm generally fit and well, active, only a little bit over weight. My last labour started spontaneously, progressed reasonably well and I coped well with the pain, but because my baby was distressed I needed a c-section. And now I have moved from low risk to high risk. And am classed as high risk not just for the birth, but throughout the pregnancy.

My additional risks as I understand them are risk of fertility issues (which didn't happen as I concieved first post partum ovulation), greater chance of placental previa and greater chance of uterine rupture. As my c-section was just for baby-side issues there is nothing in this pregnancy or labour that is likely to happen again. Once my 20 week scan had been done and confirmed my placenta is in the right place then I am left with the one additional risk factor.

Now surely my level is risk is a lot less than many high risk pregnancies. A woman with high blood pressure at risk of pre-eclampsia, or someone with previous pre-eclamsia, women with GD, existing illness, a woman with bleeding throughout pregancy, drug users or history of preterm labour..... ect. So many other things that could give much higher risk to mum and baby during pregnancy and birth.

Its not just VBAC ladies that are getting classed as high risk. High BMI and older mums also getting classed as high risk. Why can't we have "Medium risk"? Or something else for those of us with one little extra risk factor that has a low chance of causing issue? Or why label us at all.

I was just looking at my hand held notes and saw the phrase "high risk" and its annoyed me, hense the little rant.

I had a Csec due to DD being breech, and my last pregnancy I was classed as medium risk (due to previous csec) however if i concieve again I wll be classed as high reisk due to my last pregnancy.
So there is a medium risk, or at least where I am there is!! I would be annoyed too if I was you, maybe worth asing your MW about

good luck with this pregnancy xxx

You're right about your risk factors, I would have your MW up about it and ask her why, maybe tell her what you told us. I know it's just a bit of paper but it could affect how you're treated through the pregnancy and what choices are offered to you for birth. Is the time between pregnancies a factor at all? I can't remember what I was advised about concieving again, it was soooo long ago... but have a minimum 6 month period in my head? So that shouldn't be a factor if that's the case? Maybe she's just a bit conservative, if so, get her educated, hehe.

i hate that theres no medium risk too!! i asked my midwife abut it and she thought i was being funny! erm no! im deadly serious!

My DD had a ridiculously easy pregnancy, not 1 off blood test, no serious change in blood pressure or even a slightly off pee test! everything was perfect! My labour was spontaneous and i progressed great and handled the pain with just gas and air and she came out un aided, she got a perfect score on the apgar test and i didnt need any stitches or pain relief afterwards.

so all in all a perfectly simple pregnancy!

so why this time, because im rounder do i have to be suddenly classed as high risk! yes i have a high BMI but its not like i sit on my bum all day, im active and healthy apart from not being able to lose the extra pounds. yes i have a higher risk of GD but my partenr is tyoe 1 diabetic and im sure id notice the signs if i had GD! plus we only eat a diabetic friendly meal plan so its not like my food intake is causing me risk! grr it gets me annoyed too!
i think we should have low risk and medium risk and then you have to sign a form to agree to being classed as high risk, i dont think myself high risk or even medium risk if there was such a thing but feel as tho im being slated for having extra weight. O well il be refusing extra tests that i have been booked in for because of my 'high risknes' probably wont say no to the extra scans tho, spose thats 1 good thing to come out of it! xx

I'd be so much happier with moderate risk. I think I might tell my midwife at 16 week appointment that I've decided I'm moderate risk, not high risk and can it please be documented. Then document it myself if she doesn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->