What happens if labour starts before home birth is booked?

SharonF

Mum of 1- pregnant again!
Reaction score
Hi ladies

Until now I've been consultant led as I had a heart problem in my last pregnancy. I had my final heart scan last week and all is totally fine. I've got my consultant appointment on Thursday when I will be 38 weeks and I'm really hoping she will release me back to the midwives and endorse a home birth. I am concerned that she won't be 100% happy as she is a consultant and lives in a world where babies should be born in hospital, but I am hoping she can't find any reason for me not to have a home birth.

I have to call the midwives after the meeting and let them know I am 'allowed' a home birth, they are really cautious about me being under the consultant and are uneasy with my request for a home birth until she signs it off. They usually do the home birth visit and booking at 36 weeks so they'd have to sort that out ASAP. My daughter was born at 38 weeks so potentially I could go into labour before the home birth booking visit. When I asked the midwife what would happen then, she said I'd have to go into hospital. I'm really not happy with that answer! There's no way I'm missin out on potentially having baby at home birth because of a technical issue! I want to stand firm, but I also don't want to annoy the midwives and have someone attend reluctantly!

Any advice ladies? Many thanks.

Whew, that is a tough one. It almost seems like it's a bit out of your hands :(
I would certainly hold your ground (not aggressively, but with strength and determination) and demand specific reasons and specific risks from the consultant if she says you must stay under her care. A general "well there are risks" or "I am uncomfortable with you being at home in your condition" will not suffice, explain that this is important for your mental and emotional health and unless there is a real danger that you demand to be released.

As for the midwives, I would certainly try not to pester them! You want everyone there on board with the situation and not feeling uncomfortable or uncertain. If they reluctantly attend your HB, you may be at higher risk of getting transferred. Whenever you talk with them be confident and positive - it will wear off ;)

In the end, I think you need to be open to maybe not getting your ideal birth (this time). If there are real risks from your condition which have a real potential to cause harm to you or your baby - which require doctor care - then that is what is important... *sighs* And if baby comes early, then he is ready and there's no keeping him back!

Sorry if that isn't what you want to hear, just my take. But I hope your heart is healthy and you get a safe and beautiful HB :flow:

Thanks so much for your reply. My heart is indeed in 100% working condition now, it was simply a bizarre coincidence last time that I had a virus that went to my heart and was only picked up due to pregnancy checks. It was nothing to do with pregnancy and the cardiologist confirms that my heart is back to normal. Therefore I am the same risk as if it had never happened! Great news!

This is almost certainly my last pregnancy so I'm really keen to have a home birth, as long as there are no reasons not to eg induction if I go too far over etc. I just really hope the consultant agrees with a planned home birth, there's no reason for her not to now, apart from her natural concern about home vs hospital.

Not all consultants are that way out. Mine I was under because I was jigh risk downs was very supportive of it :)
Stand your ground with her though if she's debating it. Hope it goes well. Xx

Not all consultants are that way out. Mine I was under because I was jigh risk downs was very supportive of it :)
Stand your ground with her though if she's debating it. Hope it goes well. Xx

Thanks. I did mention to her at our first meeting that I was hoping for a home birth, and she kind of went "hmmm, we will discuss that later on", so I'm not convinced she's a fan! She also wants to induce me at 40 weeks as I'm 41, but again we have agreed to disagree about that one! I'm really hoping to leave her office and be able to call my midwives to say it's all go for a home birth, or if she doesn't agree to have some very valid reasons why. And I can't think of any just now! Fingers crossed!

Hi there, if i was you and everything with you and baby was well and you did go into labour, i would just refuse to go in hospital. Believe me they will not leave you without care and will send a midwife.

I have had two homebirths and have just booked my third, with my first they told me there was not a midwife available and told me to go into hospital, well i refused and 25 mins later two lovely midwives were on my doorstep.:nope:

Hi there, if i was you and everything with you and baby was well and you did go into labour, i would just refuse to go in hospital. Believe me they will not leave you without care and will send a midwife.

I have had two homebirths and have just booked my third, with my first they told me there was not a midwife available and told me to go into hospital, well i refused and 25 mins later two lovely midwives were on my doorstep.:nope:

i wish this was true certainly they are supposed to send out mw regardless but none showed up to me at any point of the 7 1/2 hrs i was in labour at home with ds3 he was born before the ambulance got there too

i wish this was true certainly they are supposed to send out mw regardless but none showed up to me at any point of the 7 1/2 hrs i was in labour at home with ds3 he was born before the ambulance got there too

I must of just been lucky, you poor thing being left without care and well done for staying at home and not being pushed into hospital x

I must of just been lucky, you poor thing being left without care and well done for staying at home and not being pushed into hospital x

Yes, I've been told to stand firm and if you refuse to go in then they must send a midwife, even if they get one from another area. I can't believe that nobody came out to you! That must've been a bit scary! I thought legally they had to attend!

Could you try and speak to your the midwifes and say that you would like to get the process of booking your home birth underway and if the consultant bring up anything new it can always be cancelled. Say you are confident that there will be no problem, but that you do plan to confirm, it's just that your last was born at 38 weeks and you'd hate to miss out of because not having time to book, or to put them to the inconvenience of attending a home birth that hadn't been properly booked and prepared for;).

Thanks ladies.

I saw my consultant today and she, whilst not entirely happy, confirms that there is no reason for me not to plan a home birth!! Yes!! I'm so pleased! I called the midwives, who are suddenly far more enthusiastic about the whole idea now the consultant gives it her blessing, and they are coming to do a home check and booking on Saturday.

Let's hope I don't go into labour before that! Joking aside, today baby is fully engaged and I'm having quite uncomfortable contractions! I've kind of ignored them so far, getting dinner and putting an overtired toddler to bed, but we will see if anything comes of them.

Thanks for all your support, let's see if this little boy fancies joining his family at home! Very exciting!

So glad it went well, now you just need to make it to that booking appointment :).

Well, I made it to my booking appointment! Yay! I'm now all booked for a home birth! Midwife was very thorough and happy with everything. Until she took my blood pressure. It's almost always 120/70, but the last week it's been 140/88. Hmmm, I'm hoping that doesn't stop me having a home birth after everything else!

Glad you got your booking appointment! Has your bp been 140/88 for several days, or was that just the one reading? I've had a couple of random high readings but it didn't stay high.

Glad you got your booking appointment! Has your bp been 140/88 for several days, or was that just the one reading? I've had a couple of random high readings but it didn't stay high.

Hi
It was high on Tuesday at the midwives, Thursday at the consultant and yesterday with the midwife. On Tuesday and Thursday I asked them to take it again and each time it had dropped to 130/80 or 138/88. I'm not sure if I'm just getting anxious about having it taken now. Hopefully it won't be a problem. I know it's not at PE or induction levels, but I'd hate it to stop me having a home birth. I know I can argue against going in, but my family has a history of high BP so I know to take it seriously.

Was it with an automated machine, or was it a manual one and a stethoscope? Automated ones are notoriously rubbish, and I would insist on a manual.

Was it with an automated machine, or was it a manual one and a stethoscope? Automated ones are notoriously rubbish, and I would insist on a manual.

Hi
It's always been taken manually. But good news, I just saw the midwife and my BP is back down to 119/75, which is great!

Maybe it was just a bit of white coat syndrome then. ;) Yay for it being back down! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->