What happens when baby is delivered at 32 weeks?

LittleMum

Mum to 22 mth old and ttc
Reaction score
Got told today that baby will most probably be delivered on Friday at 32+1 due to cord not working properly. He's about 4lb so not overly small.

What should I expect?
Will they whip him away to neo natal straight away? How long will he be there? Will he just look like a smaller version of a full term baby?

Really nervous!

My twins were delivered at 33 weeks. The NICU teams were there and ready. My daughter was a quick easy delivery and she was doing well so they held her up for me to see and let my husband hold her for a few minutes before taking her to the NICU. My son decided he liked being alone in there so wouldn't come out so he ended up being an emergency C-section and was rushed away to the NICU as they were worried about the drop in his heart rate. Both babies were fine... small of course(4' 6 and 4'8) but absolutely perfect. They spent 2 and half weeks in the NICU learning how to eat and regulate their breathing and heart rates and then came home. Good luck :)

It is likely a 32 weeker will look like a small termie. They will certainly show you the baby before they take them to the nicu, but it's unlikely you'll get to hold them. Usually they give the baby a check over before you get shown. They will usually come out crying at that age. I assume you've been given the steroids if they expect to deliver early? If so then it's likely they'll breathe on their own at least at first, although it is possible they may need a little extra oxygen in the incubator or through a nasal tube for a few days. This is more likely after a few hours or days, these little ones tire and the oxygen perks them up. Its unlikely they'll need more intensive support like a cpap or ventilator. When you see your LO in the nicu at first initially they will probably have a sensor on their tummy monitoring their temperature and respiratory rate. They may have a tube down their nose or mouth to take some of their feeds through (32 weeks is when they're about learning the suck and swallow mechanism, it's unlikely they'll take all their feeds orally at least for the first few days as they just get tired too easily). It's probably they will need some form of treatment under the lights for jaundice in the first few days. Different hospitals have different policies so depending on where you are depends on whether your baby will be in an incubator, hot cot or regular cot.

What I would suggest is asking if you can go to see the neonatal ward. They will usually be happy to accommodate this, and show you the room (and often bed space) where your baby will be, and they can show you any equipment they expect to use so you are prepared.

I think the biggest thing to be aware of are the 3 day blues. This happens in most mums, chemically speaking you get a rush of hormones that brings your milk in and combines with tiredness to make a lot of mums feel a bit overwhelmed, and this is around the third day. For preemie mums this often combines with your LO getting tired on the outside and taking a step back, needing a bit of oxygen, or more support, taking fewer feeds orally, needing light therapy, starting to bring feeds back up etc. In addition its really stating to hit you that you don't have your baby at your side, can't hold them whenever you want and so on. It's not the end of the world, you do push through it but at the time a lot of women find they spend most of the day in tears that this wasn't the road they expected to walk down. Most 32 weekers are in for a month or slightly over, and it will be behind you before you know it.

I was allowed to hold my baby for an hour before he went to scbu. I had pnd with my first which was contributed to by me being separated from my baby in the hours straight after birth. So the doc just monitored us for that time while we had some time together. You should get a day in what happens. They can wrap te baby up and if they are in no immediate danger there should be no reason they need to be immediately taken and placed in an incubator. You can hold them lots in scbu too.

My son was a 32 weeker. As soon as he was born there was a team of 5 doctors in the room who gave him oxygen and stabilised him, he was then whipped off to NICU. I got to see him about 2 hours later. He pretty much looked like a small version of a term baby but obviously had all the complications of a preemie. He didn't have much help with oxygen and I do believe the steroid injections I had helped a lot. we had a lot of feeding issues and rio wouldn't feed from a bottle, we found out after lots of tests that it was due to severe reflux and still at 11 months doesn't cope well with any liquids that aren't thickened. We spent 7 weeks in the hospital, rio came home 6 days before his due date x

Hi little mum.
My little boy dougie was born at 32 weeks in October. He needed a little help with breathing at first with c pap . I had had steroids at 30 weeks. He needed a bit of light therapy and extra iron -this is all completely normal for a preemie. He came home after 1 month. He is now 7 months and is doing well. He is on the 25th centile for his actual age. He rolled over at 6 months and is sitting with support. He is eating solids ( mashed and puréed) and he tried some finger foods yesterday. Your little boy will be fine! Xxxx

How you doing Littlemum?? X

Really good thanks :)

Looks like it was a false alarm as things seem to be righting themselves now :)
They're putting it down to a possible knot in cord or being round baby's neck but its rectified itself now so had a really lovely uneventful week :)

Growth scan tomorrow, and just playing it by ear but should get to 37 weeks yay!!!

Wow that's amazing news! Thanks for updating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->