what have yall brought & how have u afforded (is that a word?) it?

koko4bunny

Reaction score
hi girls

basicaly i have a limited amount of money and was wondering what all you girls have got? i dont want to waste what little money i do have so only want to buy the essentials for now, ie cot and bedding, nappies and jazz? i will get the £500 mat sure start one off payment after xmas at some point so will be able to get some more bits then

any tips / advise would be fab

xxx

scour ebay, gum tree, free cycle ect,
on ebay put in bits like baby bath then search for bits and bobs local to you, as items like that are hard to post, people say they will only accept bids from people who will pick the item up which lowers that chance of the item selling at normal price and you get alot of bargins. Also carboots are a good thing, i have got alot of baby clothes from them, majority of them being new as people tend to over buy and babys grow too quick so alot of things never end up being worn, also always check the sale isles in local super markets and shops and dont be afraid to buy outfits/clothes for when he is alot bigger if they are cheap as when you do need to buy them bits you may not beable to find any in sales ect so have to pay full price.
and another one is to check your local paper, there are always bits and bobs in there, you can normally check your paper online if you dont tend to get a paper
hope it helps :)

Ask around absolutely anyone you can think of who has had a baby for second hand bits, I've got a pram and a crib that way.
The only things I wouldn't get second hand would be a car seat (safety first and all :p) and clothes...but people are remarkably generous, it would seem. I got the pram off my dad's colleague, who I've never actually met but just heard I was having a baby!

Join Freecycle definitely.Its amazing what people give away. :thumbup: xxxx

crib - freecycle
mattress - brought £13
cot bed - my mates mum secondhand £60
mattress - oh's mum £40
car seat - freecycle
clothes - freecycle, car boots and a few new
bedroom decor - freecycle (everything!)
chest of drawers, changing unit - freecycle
play gym - my mum brought £25
changing mat - my aunt brought £15
bouncer - my aunt brought £25
baby bath - oh brother brought
jumperoo - second hand off here £60
walker - brought for £40
high chair - brought for £50
toys - freecycle, car boots
bottles - new cost us roughly £50
sterilliser - given to us by a friend secondhand

if i've forgotten anything let me know and ill
run off the prices lol

anything we brought ourselves we did when
we got our tax credits or they were on offer

but yea most things we got for free im a huge
fan of freecycle ( i got a new carseat this morning
from it lol) def join it ... ebay ... carboots ...
ads in the paper you can loads of stuff free or
cheap as chips just bargain hunt :) join baby clubs
as well money off vouchers are brill for stocking
up in the beginning :thumbup: the buying room on
here is pretty good for bargains too lol

xxxx​

I'm the same, haven't got much money with being on JSA so my parents are helping out. I already have baby bath, moses basket, bouncer & baby box stuff like that.. with the HIP grant having a backlog I wanted to have the main things in like that so my mam bought me them from Mothercare until I get the £190, with the £500 grant I don't have to worry about that too much as my dad is buying pram for us so it'll just be bits and bobs like clothes, nappies, bottles I'll need to get in. :) x

when i got my first midwife appointment, there was something in it she said everyone got now called 'Emma's Diary'
did you all get one of these?
it has £40 vouchers for argos
nappy disposal system for £7 instead of £20
and loads of coupons and stuff.
free nappys from asda
i think its the new 'bounty pack'? :S cos inside there is two leafets to hand in to get emmas diary pack, for mums to be in early pregnancy, late pregnancy, baby, and a few months old.

i was pleased with that anyway : )
i'll be going to car boots / friends old stuff / freecycle and then cheap shops

Graco Travel System - ebay £20
Moses Basket & stand 1 - ebay £14
Moses Basket 2 - ebay £12
Stand 2 - someone had put it out for the bin men :blush:
Bouncing Chair - ebay £5 (brand new in box!!!)
Door Bouncer - Church Fete £1 (also brand new)
Baby Gym - Church Fete £2
Cot 1 - Given to me by a work colleague
CotBed - Given to me by the daughter of a neighbour
CotBed Mattress - Given to me by daughter of a colleague (brand new - stored but not used)
Highchair - Daughter's colleague £5
Stairgate - was being thrown out by someone at the tip LOL :blush:
Gliding Crib - ebay £19 (with bedding)
Electric Steriliser - ebay £1.19
Microwave Steriliser - ebay £2.60
Bedding - some from when my own kids were little.
Winnie the Pooh Bedding - homemade and embroidered for all cots/baskets etc £60
Baby Bath - given to Tattie by a friend
Baby Sling - ebay £4

I'm sure there's other big stuff I've forgotten, but I also buy an item of clothing and an item of baby toiletries each week ... ebay/freecycle/car boot sales are the BEST though :happydance:

^^ you sound like me!!
:rofl: i thought i was the only one
cheeky enough to ask for things people throw out!!

your ebaying is pretty impressive LOL

xx​

Please please make sure the crib you buy is safe. I would spend the money on a good crib!

when i got my first midwife appointment, there was something in it she said everyone got now called 'Emma's Diary'
did you all get one of these?
it has £40 vouchers for argos
nappy disposal system for £7 instead of £20
and loads of coupons and stuff.
free nappys from asda
i think its the new 'bounty pack'? :S cos inside there is two leafets to hand in to get emmas diary pack, for mums to be in early pregnancy, late pregnancy, baby, and a few months old.

i was pleased with that anyway : )
i'll be going to car boots / friends old stuff / freecycle and then cheap shops

Im VERY unimpressed with my midwife, she forgot mine ! i should have made her go back and get it what a cheek ! :growlmad:
hopefully will get one next week at my 16 week appointment :)

Pram £500 mum and dad bought
Cotbed £400 mum and dad bought
Cotbed beding £75 mum and dad bought

Everything else me and OH bought

its mostly all been said already! but ebay and freecycle are great!! from when i was about 10/11 weeks i started buying little bits of clothing off ebay (brand new, usually £1-£2 a pop :shock:) and after not very long i had enough!
electric steam steriliser & couple of bottles - freecycle
baby bath and top & tail bowl - freecycle
moses basket - FOB's mum gave me it
nappies - used the discount vouchers that came with subscription to a baby club (cant remember which.. probably pampers! sign up to any baby club you can online... LOADS send you free stuff, often very generous amounts or just vouchers etc)
baby bath & shampoo - were on special offer in boots so i thought why not get em while they're cheap :p
storage unit - dad bought it, i think £40 ish from ikea

like you im waiting for £190 and £500 grant to come through before buying the big things, but just got a money off voucher in the post today from Babies R Us baby club which is i think £30 off on any travel system over £200, valid until 31 jan so that should come in handy, was planning to spend £200-£300 on a travel system. :thumbup:

bath thermometer, bibs, room thermometer, dummies - picked up if i was in boots or wherever, as TattiesMum said just little bits every week! that way it doesnt feel youre spending a huge amount but build up what you have.

xx

^^ you sound like me!!
:rofl: i thought i was the only one
cheeky enough to ask for things people throw out!!

your ebaying is pretty impressive LOL

xx​

I have NO shame LOL :rofl: It drives my kids absolutely mad that I do this stuff, but people throw things out just because they don't need them any more and don't have storage room :shrug: I figure I'm just recycling ;)

The incredible thing is that all of the stuff is in such amazing condition - the gliding crib for example is a John Lewis one that has never been used, and the more expensive moses basket is a top of the range, fully padded, Mothercare one which was only used for 3 weeks by the girl I bought it from :happydance:

I AM queen of ebay LOL :winkwink: I have tons of stuff on 'watching' and only bid in the last 30 seconds if the price is still low enough to interest me - the thing about ebay is that there is so much baby stuff on there, that if one item's price goes too high then I just abandon it and find another identical item that is still cheap until I get a bargain :D

I know it sounds daft but it's my goal that Tattie doesn't have to buy ANYTHING for Lucas until he is at least 6/12 months old, so my list of stuff to get is huge but I'm not rolling in money so I'm a total bargain hunter :wacko:

with my son I brought EVERYTHING brand new and I made a huge mistake because I realised he just didnt need it. With my daughter we had to buy a new cot and carseat as my son was still using his but I got every thing else from ebay and various friends.

I now love bargin hunting lol. I gave away most my baby stuff when my daughter was about 2 but this time I will only be buying cotbed mattress and carseat brand new and maybe pram. Rest will be from ebay and friends x

It's not daft, it's really sweet and generous! She'll be stressed enough with a new baby- I imagine not having to worry about paying for all of that stuff would be a huge load off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->