• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What is going on?!? Help!

Leeloo

Reaction score
My LO has been feeding for two weeks and has always arched her back and struggled in pain a little after feeding but it just went to a whole new level today. during breastfeeding she turned bright red, arching, her legs tightening so she's standing up, then keeling over, and crying out. She'll do this repeatedly. She also seems to get a bad taste in her mouth, kind of gags, almost like she's spit up something but rarely anything comes up. Then she started crying and didn't finish eating. she always has a big bowel movement after wards. It's seedy, green/yellowish. she doesn't fart a lot or burp a lot.

I don't eat much at the moment because i'm recovering from some kind of stomach bug (i think). I have only eaten blueberries, cherries, potatoes, salmon, cucumber for the past five days. I drink water, although not a lot. My caloric intake is probably less than 500 kcal/day. I did have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for the first time today.

I am at a total loss and she's just crying her head off. She can't finish a feeding because she's struggling so much. She's not sleeping well because of it either. I'm going to call my pediatrician but does anyone have advice before then? I'm desperate!

My son will do that when his tummy hurts and not long after he'll have a big poo. I find that massaging tummy or holding him in the way they recommend for colic babies helps. Bringing legs up to chest helps too.
He does it at night too. I gave him gripe water when its extreme. I spoke to two LC nurse and they both recommended cutting all dairy : (
Not sure if I was helpful but hope you find some answers soon.

Sounds like silent reflux, especially the arching and standing and bad taste/gagging. Sounds just like my little one. Does she get hiccups a lot too? Her doctor can prescribe Zantac, and may advise you to stop eating all dairy and possibly soy. Dairy can take 3 weeks to get out of your system after you stop consuming it.

Oh, and try to keep her positioned upright, especially for the first 20 minutes after a feed. This may help some too.

I went to my dr recently about this. He advised upright for 20 mins following every feed, pause during the feed to burp and again after hes done feeding (burp more than that if needed)
I also do tummy massage and bicycle legs throughout the day.
Also I have a large supply of milk so if LO is gagging or showing signs of too much coming in, I pull him off and usually my milk is spraying so I use a towel and let some of it spray out until the flow relaxes.
I've noticed a big difference in my LO since doing all of the above. (I didn't need to cut out any food from my diet but maybe your dr will advise you differently)
When will you increase your food intake soon?

Sounds like reflux to me. It is painful for them to be leaned over and eating. Try to prop them at an a 30-45 degree angle when nursing and then up right for 30-60 minutes after they eat. You might also get on better with the football hold as the baby is more upright so would be more comfy for them. I would talk to the Dr about possibly needing some medication like zantac or prevacid to decraese the pain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->