What is the age that doctors will save a baby if born premature at 22 weeks?

Ambience

Reaction score
I've read conflicting information and I'm fretting as i'm 22 weeks and although i'm sure everything will be fine. I do have this concern if something did happen- would the doctors just leave baby to die as everything i've read says doctors don't normally intervene to help before 24 weeks?

Thanks.

I feel like a GOOD doctor should try to save ANY baby, but yes, it's true. Viability isn't reached until about 24 weeks of gestation. This just means that baby will have a chance of surviving outside of the womb, even though it's not a HUGE chance. Babies don't have FULL functioning lungs until around 33-34 weeks, which is why preemies have so many breathing issues. QUIT WORRYING!! You'll worry yourself into labor!! <3

Don't say that lol i'll worry about worrying myself into it haha :) and thankyou!

Ya 24 weeks is viable but drs will attempt to help. My girlfriend went into early labour at 21 weeks and she was admitted to the hospital and given something to help stop labour....so I think as long as "they" think there's something they can do, they'll intervene..

Babies have been saved as early as 23-24 weeks, and if you want them to try, they will.

This story brings tears to my eyes every time!

I think a lot of it depends on where you live. At a large medical facility you have much better odds that more will be done than in a small community hospital that doesn't have a NICU.

This story aswell :) https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...eks-legal-abortion-limit-clung-life-odds.html

I think some doctors under estimate what little fighters our babies can be :)

I believe (in the UK) 24 weeks is the age doctors have to intervene to help the LO (assuming it is believed to be in the best interests). However, a baby born before that is putting up a fight, they would not just walk away.

I don't know if its NHS or hospital policy. But at my hospital from 20 weeks, if you have a pregnancy problem, they will do alot more for you, eg trying to stop pre-term labour. Prior to this they will send you for reassurance scans and check ups etc, but they don't really intervene and tend to let nature run its course.

I am assuming you are a first time mum? I think around the 22-23 week point alot of first time mums worry about this. The 24 week mark seems like a big milestone. I'm on my second and I have found pregnancy alot easier this time round, mainly because chasing after a 12 month old, I don't have time to think about being pregnant.

I think it depends on the hospital and the situation.
They tried to save mine at 23+3 but sadly they weren't strong enough, actually we were given the option whether to try and help them.

But I do have a friend who delivered at 23weeks and baby is now at home with them. And I know other people whose doctors wouldn't help at all.

Easier said than done but try not to worry, it is unusual to lose a baby at this stage.
just see each extra day as baby getting a little stronger and try and think positive xx

You're 'viable' at 24 weeks which means doctors have a duty to do whatever they can to save the baby if anything goes wrong. It doesn't mean to say they won't help before that, but the chances are slimmer of the baby surviving.

I know how you're feeling - I've been thinking about it a lot recently too, I'm 23 weeks and just desperately want to get to next week! Even though there's not that much difference, it will feel like a huge difference to me! My baby will be viable! That's a huge thing for a FTM! But try not to worry about it, otherwise you won't do yourself or your baby any good!

Thanks yes this is my first baby and i'm worrying about getting to 24 weeks for those reasons mentioned. I want to know i'm at the point where legally the doctors have to fight for my baby if born early. That will put my mind at ease.

I do have no reason to worry, the scans were all okay, but i'm just nervous.

My baby is 23 weeks on Tuesday.

Thanks x

It isn't just based on gestation but many factors too, like babies general health, weight etc. I don't think theres a "set" viability where I am but yes, we've had 23 weekers go home from our unit. The DM article about Amelia Taylor is an age old debate - she was 23+6 - as she was an IVF baby her gestation was calculated from date of conception rather than date of last period. Certainly no doubt a fighter but this story does create a little bit of false hope and those like us with preemies understand how huge 2 weeks mean.

Anyhow, if theres no reason to worry - dont - enjoy your pregnancy!

Sometimes its hard not to worry, but it really isn't any good :flower: :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->