What not to eat during BF

Palestrina

Reaction score
Hi ladies, I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times before but I'm about to become a first time Mom and I'm trying to prepare myself as best I can to breastfeed. Between reading books about pain management (in anticipation of labour) and caring for baby books, I haven't given much thought to my nutrition during BF. I've heard of the following foods to avoid, anything else?

Broccoli
Cauliflower
Cabbage
Onions
Garlic
Milk

I don't avoid any of those as they don't cause my daughter any problems. Generally you can eat what you like (taking care with alcohol and caffeine of course) and only eliminate or cut down certain foods if your LO seems gassy or unsettled.

There is no need to avoid any foods while BF unless your baby develops a specific reaction to them or is unsettled. In fact there has been some research that suggests avoiding certain foods automatically when BF could potentially increase the risk of your baby having allergies or intolerances to those foods in the future. xx

It's only because some of those foods could cause babies an upset stomache. But around 6 weeks is when they should be okie again, apparently.

I avoid cabbage and lettuce not just because it causes wind but more importantly, is known in this part of the world to decrease breast milk production. Cabbage leaves put on breasts are also good for decreasing engorgement.

https://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-foods.html#list

According to this there isn't really anything to avoid generally :)

How about sushi? And how much caffeine is ok?

https://www.ivillage.com/can-nursing-mom-eat-sushi/6-n-137196

https://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/youafterthebirth/nutrition/caffeineandbreastfeeding/

I usually have a cup of coffee in the morning. Doesn't affect my LO.

I avoid all of these things, except milk, because my lo had an upset tummy when I tried to eat them (also avoid bok choi/pak choi!). I wouldn't avoid milk if I were you as it may lead to your lo having an intolerance and you need all the calcium you can get :)

I avoid all of these things, except milk, because my lo had an upset tummy when I tried to eat them (also avoid bok choi/pak choi!). I wouldn't avoid milk if I were you as it may lead to your lo having an intolerance and you need all the calcium you can get :)

I agree, though dairy isn't the only good source of calcium and without vitamin D3 calcium is fairly useless as you need the D3 for the body to absorb calcium (fresh milk isn't fortified with vitamin D in the UK; though some long life milk products are). I cut out dairy myself because my LO exhibited symptoms of a cows milk protein intolerance a week or so after birth; upon speaking to my midwife and GP we decided it was the best course of action. I have now reintroduced dairy to my diet as LO no longer reacts to it, he outgrew the problem rather suddenly in the past 2-3 weeks.

I eat TONS of garlic :) I tried cutting things out in the first few weeks as LO was really gassy but HV/MWs weren't worried and he got over it quickly. If I cut out veg I'd have nothing to eat as I love it! Nothing effects him now. I don't have dairy but I haven't for years. I'd stick with your normal diet (so long as it's reasonably healthy) and see how it goes.

I don't cut anything out of my diet. I had cut out all dairy when she had her milk protein intolerance, but she outgrew that by 5 months old.

I cut out veggies like brocolli cos they gave her bad gas. I also discovered at the weekend that if I eat rhubarb she has the worst smelling farts - I thought the farmers were spreading manure it smelt that bad!

I have to avoid egg as it seems she's allergic (eczema). I didn't try and avoid anything at the beginning, just waited too see what reactions she had to what I ate before deciding to cut anything out.

I don't avoid anything. IM not a big coffee or soda drinker either. As for sushi i would avoid high mercury fish and would eat in moderation. I had sushi twice when i was pregnant and everything was fine.

I didn't try and avoid anything at the beginning, just waited too see what reactions she had to what I ate before deciding to cut anything out.

That sounds like a good route.

I've been missing so many foods that I have to avoid in pregnancy that I'm really looking forward to eating them again after I give birth. All of these foods I stopped eating even a year before I got pregnant while TTC!!! And I plan on BF for about a year so I'm really looking forward to:

blue cheese
goat cheese
brie
cured meats
sushi
alcohol
undercooked beef
cold chicken
aioli
hollandaise
runny eggs (although I cheat sometimes :shrug:)

And of course I miss my beloved Advil, I hope that's ok during BF too.

I wouldn't avoid anything apart from alcohol obviously. You will find if anything upsets your baby as you go along. My baby doesnt seem to like me eating spicy she seems to get a bit of a sore tummy the day after, so I just make it a little less spicy.

i don't know really i eat everything? apart from too much fish but i don't like that much just everything in moderation that's what i think :) x

I eat what I like. Isn't alcohol ok in moderation (I thought this, personally I don't really drink either way though). I avoid caffeine just because I don't want my baby to be too awake! Hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->