What NOT to say to a pregnant woman

Skywalker

Reaction score
"You are so huge!"

Um, thanks. I have to admit, I've been guilty of this in the past with other pregnant friends and I meant it as a compliment. It was just meant to acknowledge that I could see their baby bump. Being on the receiving end of that comment, it does NOT feel good lol, especially when it's followed up by:

"How are along are you?" (I tell them I'm now a little over three months) "WOW! I thought you were like six months!" Again, thanks. Lol. You're just making me feel like a whale or feel like I'm bigger than I should be, when in reality my baby measures right on time, my midwife says my weight is all good for where I am, and I've always just had a sort of pear shape and so when I have a bump added to the pear shape, sure, I probably look further along than I am. I don't need to be made to feel embarrassed about it, thank you very much.

"How many do you HAVE in there!?"

Just the one. Although when I'm asked this question I am tempted to be flippant and say, "Well in this particular litter we're thinking 17, but you never know, we could have pup more or less than that."

I know that most people are just curious and others are just excited and not thinking about how what they're saying might NOT actually come across as a compliment lol. I don't think anyone is intending to actually make me feel bad, but I just don't think that some people THINK. I don't actually look THAT much bigger than other girls around 13-14 weeks, it's just that I have wide hips and a pear shape. I always have, even when I was really skinny, it's just the shape that my body is. I have really wide hips and again, even when I was really really skinny I have ALWAYS had a butt, big and shapely, so you add a bump out front and even though the bump isn't actually that big it looks big with the whole picture. I can understand why some people think I'm further along but I just wish people would think before they open their mouths. Pregnancy is a time when we women can feel self-conscious about our bodies. I wish more people took that into consideration. Maybe it's not something you really get until you yourself are pregnant and go through it though. Anyway!

Anyone else getting some funny comments from people?

My favourite is "Was it planned?" UGH. None of your beeswax!

At the corner shop I was asked ' your not going to drop in here are you?' Nope I'm only 6months!

I hate the "was it a surprise?"

yeah, it was, but I don't wanna tell you that!

At the corner shop I was asked ' your not going to drop in here are you?' Nope I'm only 6months!

LOL Oh my god!! Same thing happened to me but I was only 11 or 12 weeks when this happened and wearing a tight shirt. I bought a bunch of stuff and a guy had the nerve to ask me, "Are you going to the hospital now!?" and looked at my belly and I was like, "Uh, no." and walked out. Lol my goodness.

Man. Maybe someone should start making public service announcements on this subject lol!!!

I've gotten remarks like that in public and you know what I tell them.. Are you assuming I'm pregnant!!?? Have I told you that I am pregnant? What if I wasn't pregnant and can't conceive, do you realize how insensitive your remark would be? There are really some idiots out there that could use their mouth sewn shut.

I hated the are you sure there is one in there with my 2nd bub. I was huge but seriously I'd just had a baby 5 months prior of course I was going to be big :-/ I got a lot of negative comments like I'm glad I'm not pushing it out and when he was born the he's so huge, he looks like a 3 month old blah, blah, blah. He was 9 pound a week over due, I only pushed for 8 minutes and I didn't even tear! So having a bigger baby doesn't mean it's going to be a difficult hard labour, was easier then my 8 pounder and he gave me a 2nd degree tear!
So if anyone says anything to me this time they better watch out. I was tiny with my 1st pregnancy and still can't believe he was 8lb.
Even when I see I big tummy for the gestation I just tell Mumma to be her bump is beautiful. :)

I hated the are you sure there is one in there with my 2nd bub. I was huge but seriously I'd just had a baby 5 months prior of course I was going to be big :-/ I got a lot of negative comments like I'm glad I'm not pushing it out and when he was born the he's so huge, he looks like a 3 month old blah, blah, blah. He was 9 pound a week over due, I only pushed for 8 minutes and I didn't even tear! So having a bigger baby doesn't mean it's going to be a difficult hard labour, was easier then my 8 pounder and he gave me a 2nd degree tear!
So if anyone says anything to me this time they better watch out. I was tiny with my 1st pregnancy and still can't believe he was 8lb.
Even when I see I big tummy for the gestation I just tell Mumma to be her bump is beautiful. :)

I hear ya! Sorry you went through all the negative comments too. I swear sometimes when someone says, "Oh my god you're so huge!" to me I want to turn around and go, "Did you gain weight? You look heavier. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say something offensive?" Lol but I wouldn't because I know the other person isn't INTENTIONALLY being a jerk. That's horrible that people said to you they're glad they weren't pushing your baby out! My ex-OH said the same thing but he's a guy lol. They can't imagine pushing anything out really :haha: Good for you telling a mom to be that her bump is beautiful if she's big for gestation! It aggravates me so much having people get this concerned/confused look on their face when I tell them how far along I am and they go, "You look so much further along!"

I don't actually mind any of these. Makes me feel so pregnant! Haha. I must be odd. I want to be HUGE!!

xx

We actually got asked 'was it planned'?! I almost fell off my chair. How rude and personal!

I always have bigger bumps. I like it. Its nice to look pregnant early on. A little bit funny when your only 7 months and someone thinks you've already gone on maternity leave but otherwise fine!

I quite like answering that question and telling people our baby was super planned. I can see why it's awkward if your baby wasn't though.

I quite like answering that question and telling people our baby was super planned. I can see why it's awkward if your baby wasn't though.

Our baby was planned but I still find it so personal! Maybe I'm just a very private person ;)

My bumps are Hugh when I'm pregnant I always get comments not good ones either most of them are you are going to drop soon or how far along are u I tell them they say oh I thought you were further then that I wonder what comments I will get this time lol

I think 'was it planned?' is a routine question that people deem appropriate to ask these days. I'm really looking forward to it when I go back to work; 'Yes, thank you, we were intentionally having lots of unprotected sexual intercourse, would you like me to draw pictures of the different positions we used?' :)

They don't ask "was it planned?" for a second pregnancy though. Just for a first and third+.

I think 'was it planned?' is a routine question that people deem appropriate to ask these days. I'm really looking forward to it when I go back to work; 'Yes, thank you, we were intentionally having lots of unprotected sexual intercourse, would you like me to draw pictures of the different positions we used?' :)

:haha: I'd love to use that line and watch people's reactions! The person that asked us if it was planned even made jokes about how I 'probably ordered my husband into the bedroom on a regular basis'! EW! Way too personal!

:haha: I'd love to use that line and watch people's reactions! The person that asked us if it was planned even made jokes about how I 'probably ordered my husband into the bedroom on a regular basis'! EW! Way too personal!

I'm kind of dreading going back to work and having people ask all sorts of personal questions - I don't mind so much from those people who I would consider friends but some people I don't want to talk to in normal circumstances and are just nosey. I'm a private person anyway but I've surprised myself at how protective I am of the details of Fenella the foetus (upgraded from Emmet the embryo earlier this week ;) )

Aww @ fenella the foetus and emmet the embryo! Very cute! We call ours 'cletus the foetus' from time to time :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->