What on Earth do I do now?

tinymumma

Mummy to a rainbow boy
Reaction score
Up until a few days ago I had crazy oversupply. So I started putting him on the same breasts multipule times to make sure it was completely drained before I switched. Now my milk supply has gone in the complete opposite direction.
He needs both breasts each feed as they don't fill up anymore. My milk settled over two weeks ago, so I know it's not that. Some feeds he completely drains both and still wants more?!
Also, I've been getting him to try and attach himself lately as he seems to get really frustrated when I do it for him. Unless he absolutely starving, he'll pull off and try and attach again himself. He'll then get upset because he either can't do it, or I'm in serious pain because he won't attach properly. Any ideas on how I can increase my supply again and to encourage him to get a good attachment all by himself?

Let him suck or pump after feeds. But honestly it sounds like your supply has just regulated and he's going through a growth spurt.

Looks like from your ticker he is 6weeks old. That was the worst growth spurt for me - constantly frustrated with having to actually "work" for the milk, pulling off all the time, screaming, all that. All you can do is keep offering the breast to build your supply.

A calm baby attaches more easily than a stressed one, so you could try letting him suck your finger for a bit till he calms down and then try again at the breast. This works for some children (not for mine!) really well even though they aren't getting milk as it is such an easy thing to suck on.

Google 'laid back breastfeeding' and 'biological nurturing/nursing' about encouraging a baby to self attach if you think he'll find it easier.

Sounds like a growth spurt for sure. Just keep feeding, it'll settle down soon. :thumbup:

Looks like from your ticker he is 6weeks old. That was the worst growth spurt for me - constantly frustrated with having to actually "work" for the milk, pulling off all the time, screaming, all that. All you can do is keep offering the breast to build your supply.

A calm baby attaches more easily than a stressed one, so you could try letting him suck your finger for a bit till he calms down and then try again at the breast. This works for some children (not for mine!) really well even though they aren't getting milk as it is such an easy thing to suck on.

Google 'laid back breastfeeding' and 'biological nurturing/nursing' about encouraging a baby to self attach if you think he'll find it easier.

Thank you for the links! They were extremely helpful. I didn't even realise I was kind of doing it already, just to help with forceful let down. Then I switched back to sitting up when my supply seemed to have dropped. Maybe that's why he's greying cranky. He did used to latch basically by himself while lying down (with a little help from me)

Yup, the 6 week growth spurt was THE worst!!!

Best of luck, just keep pushing through. I'll admit I gave tiny bits of formula here and there since my LO would not settle. It all turned out OK though.

6 weeks was horrible for us, just feed feed feed, he will get enough

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->