what preparation can I do to help my body be ready for home birth?

Jodie.82

"Earth & Angel mama"
Reaction score
Hi Ladies, I wondered what tips you had for preparing for a good home birth experience? My midwife has been away since I was 27 weeks and won´t be back until im 35 weeks. I know she is giving me an oil rub when she is back to help the perineal skin soften and be ready to stretch! other than that what can I do before? when should I start drinking raspberry tea? any other exercises I should be doing or things I should be taking?

I'll be interested in this too, thanks for posting it. All I know so far is that from about 35 weeks to avoid slouching back when sitting, to try to stay leaning forward to promote a good position for bubs, to try to avoid posterior problems. Looking forward to hearing everyone's tips...

Well I'm undecided on home birth or not, but I do know that i don't want any drugs.

So my chiropractor is helping me to make natural birth easier. He said by keeping your pelvis in line and back in line, it will help birth go faster and with less pain :)

Biggest and most helpful thing you can do to prepare is to inhabit your body, don't inhibit it.
So anything that is going to relaxed you, build confidence and help you let go.
XxX

oh wow Nikki really! :wacko: I spend half of my day slouching or leaning back! could be why my LO is back to back and laying sideways accross! I better start doing that now then!

Bournefree good advice thanks :thumbup: ive been watching and reading loads of positive natural birthing vids and websites which has helped my mindset and confidence loads.. downloaded hypnobirthing relaxation too from a link someone else posted so I play that every night and doing loads of walking and swimming just because it feels like im doing something healthy lol!!

I just feel like there must be more I should be doing!

Not just for HB but posture is important for any birth. You need to make room in your pelvis not squish it. Sit up straight no leaning back, dont put your feet up too high, dont cross your legs.

Move don't stay still too long be gentle dont push yourself.

Is this your first baby? You can have raspberry leaf tea (hot or cold!) from about 36 weeks, 3 cups a day max...ideally best not to have before this (although it does take a while for the raspberry leaf effect to build up in your body)

Put down a waterproof sheet on your bed, have a hospital bag packed in case of emergencies, cook loads of yummy food and freeze in batches so you don't have to worry about cooking! Give the house a top to toe clean (nesting instinct will mean you do this anyway!)

Gettingdown on all fours and sticking your ottom in the air and wiggling about will help encourage baby to go head down/ engage...it also means you can give those skirting boards a good scrub :thumbup:

Pregnancy yoga is wonderful exercise and helps you to practice breathing and clearing the mind. You need to be able to go off into 'labour land' and switch off the neocortex so that meditation and clearing of the mind stuff you do at the end of yoga classes is great practice for that. Practicing breathing long slow breaths and focusing on the out breath is great too. Imagine blowing up balloons and releasing them into the air, blowing a big bubble or the seeds from a dandelion that's 'clocking' as my mum calls it! Long and strong!

Is this your first baby? You can have raspberry leaf tea (hot or cold!) from about 36 weeks, 3 cups a day max...ideally best not to have before this (although it does take a while for the raspberry leaf effect to build up in your body)

Put down a waterproof sheet on your bed, have a hospital bag packed in case of emergencies, cook loads of yummy food and freeze in batches so you don't have to worry about cooking! Give the house a top to toe clean (nesting instinct will mean you do this anyway!)

Gettingdown on all fours and sticking your ottom in the air and wiggling about will help encourage baby to go head down/ engage...it also means you can give those skirting boards a good scrub :thumbup:

no its my second baby, but first home birth. also first baby was 11 years ago so a long time!

im having a water birth but I think I probably need the waterproof sheets just in case!

haha thanks for all the tips i´ll get wiggling now then :haha:

Chuck, thanks.... so all the things Im really bad at, im terrible for slouching and crossing my legs! have to make more effort

MM thanks for tips, I havent found any pregnancy yoga here but lots of relaxation tools online which im doing everynight :)

There might be a pregnancy yoga DVD you could do at home :)

its a bit limited where I am on dvds books etc! found a pilates one only to get it home and find half the exercises werent suitable for pregnancy :dohh: lol! will try another look :D

Can anyone get something off eBay posted to you? X

I'm going to ask a client of mine who is a yoga and pilates instructor....brb.....x

yes maybe, although takes about 3-4 weeks from UK to here...

just found a good one prenatal and postnatal yoga on amazon but the region dvd wont play on my dvd player here I dont think!

https://www.alignedandwell.com/index.php?option=com_wordpress&Itemid=223

Recommends walking and squats.

I'm finding pregnancy yoga pleasant, though the programme is too long - I'm knackered half way though! I have the DVD with Tara Lee. Sitting on a birth ball is supposed to help get baby in the right position, and the microadjustments you constantly make (as the ball moves minutely) are supposed to be good for your core muscles. It forces you into a better posture too.

Maybe have a rummage on Youtube for yoga moves? I found some pregnancy bellydancing ones there, and some of the clips were really long, so you could easily work along with it, might be worth a shot...

Maybe have a rummage on Youtube for yoga moves? I found some pregnancy bellydancing ones there, and some of the clips were really long, so you could easily work along with it, might be worth a shot...

ooh I like it, thanks! :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"