What ?'s would you ask your Doctor?

Cntrygal

Reaction score
So, I have my doctors appt next Monday before we start NTNP. I'd planned on taking in a list of questions to ask, but is that totally weird?

I feel like knowing as much as possible will allow me to go on as normal as possible w/out freaking out if I'm doing something to loose the baby. I mainly just want to know general restrictions and guidlines especially for the first trimester. It seems weird, but I also want to know what I would experience if I had a MC.

If it's not totally weird to take in a list of questions, what are some questions you'd want to know or wish you had asked?

I don't think it's weird at all.

I'd review all your medications and supplements (including any that you take 'sometimes' for colds/allergies/headaches/etc) to make sure they are safe, and also ask if you are up to date on your vaccinations.

Someone else on here also mentioned making a dental appointment in case you are due for xrays, or need to get cavities filled, which I think was a great idea!

Doctors would prefer you ask them instead of using the Internet, so I'm sure they won't mind! :haha: And you're much more prepared than I was; we just decided to get pregnant and I stopped taking the pill.

I really didn't do much differently when I was pregnant, but my husband took it seriously. I wasn't allowed to lift anything that even looked heavy, so I got out of laundry duty and carrying in groceries for 9 months. (no complaints there) Your doctor will be able to give you a better idea of restrictions though based on your body and medical history.

I wish I could remember the questions I asked at my first prenatal appointment, but I just can't remember! That whole baby/mommy brain is a real thing, so be prepared for that. :haha:

Good luck with your appointment!

Not weird at all, how do u know if u don't ask?:flower:

I asked my doc via email if my mothers difficult pregnancies was something that I could possibly inherit. my doc said its not likely.

other than that I haven't asked anything yet either. Im thinking about making an appt to talk to my doc soon. I had a pap smear like 6 months ago, but I wasn't ntnp then.

Without consulting a doc, I started taking 800mcg of folic acid daily. but I haven't started cutting down on caffeine yet. (my weakness!) I rarely drink and I don't smoke so that's not really a concern of mine.

I think these are probably some of the things I will ask:

How much caffeine is considered "okay"? (Although if I was pregnant, I will make myself stop all together, but when I start officially ttc I may still have my morning cup)

I'll ask for a blood test to make sure I'm in good health. (duh! lol)

Does eating certain foods when you are pregnant make your baby more or less susceptible to food allergies? (I have two close family members with anaphylaxis to peanuts, my husbands sister also has it)

What otc meds are considered okay?

how much exercise is okay?

What foods are okay?

When I do become pregnant, I plan on having a natural birth-I want my doc to explain more to me about how it will go...and I want more info about epidurals (just in case!)
fyi- I would prefer to have a water birth at a birthing center. But Im not sure if my insurance will cover that and right now I don't have an extra 10,000$. {From what ive read birthing centers cost about that much?} Also, I want to have a doula with me at the hospital if I do have a hospital birth. I think that's only about 500$.

Thanks ladies, appreciate all the input. :flower:

Today is the day, I have my questions ready to go. Still not looking forward to the appt though. Blech. May have to cheat on my sugar intake and get a piece of cake or something afterwards. :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->