What shall i do?

Discussion in 'Weaning & Nutrition' started by luvbunsazzle, Apr 27, 2009.

1. luvbunsazzle

luvbunsazzle Mummy to Rosie

Right, Rosie has been weaned now for a couple of weeks, started with the whole baby rice, but that lasted 2 days, as she pure screamed, and just detested it. We went on to fruit purees she loved it.

Then Mark went back to work, and it's been me doing it alone. She screams and screams, when i give her them. Then this weekend, as there was 2 of us again she was happy, ate it all without any problems and was just in general full of smiles.

What shall i do?

2. AppleBlossom

AppleBlossom Guest

Show her who's boss!!

3. polo_princess

polo_princess ♥ Brookes Mummy ♥

When are you trying to give her food? Perhaps switch times to when she's at her happiest in the day?

4. luvbunsazzle

She has it at 11:30, then her milk at 12
    She takes it fine with 2 people, i.e. someone holding her, and someone feeding her, but i sit her in her bumbo whilst on my own, she loves her bumbo, so i dont know what it is.

5. AppleBlossom

AppleBlossom Guest

I feel I should elaborate on my answer lol

You need to let her know that you are in control when you feed her or you'll have hell to pay. Just try and keep offering it to her and calmly talk to her. At the minute Grace growls at me and screams when I feed her. So I just do that and eventually she carries on. Good luck x

6. Serene123

Serene123 Guest

Is she definately ready for food?

7. luvbunsazzle

The health visitor told me 4 weeks ago to start weaning her. She is showing alot of the signs etc.
    I started on 8th April, she took fine the first week, as Mark was off work, so hence she had us both. Then i had his brother from the 16th so again she was fine. Weekends she is fine and takes it. It's when im on my own.

I try and perserve Bexy, talking to her, singing to her, but she gets so upset. Im not sure weather or not trying her elsewhere other than her bumbo?

8. Serene123

Serene123 Guest

I'd try, if she didn't co-opperate she just wouldn't get any

9. luvbunsazzle

Is it to early for a high chair?

10. Serene123

Serene123 Guest

Can she sit unaided?

11. luvbunsazzle

No, only agaisnt things, like pillows plumped up behind her, or sitting agaisnt the sofa, etc

12. reallytinyamy

reallytinyamy Mum and step mum

Chloe does this alot. she hates being in her high chair. it started since she was ill, hv things she may be linking food to tummy ache :shrug:

anyhow, if she is hungry she takes the food through the screams. if she doesnt take it she goes without.
    Have you tried feeding her while she sits on your lap?

13. luvbunsazzle

No haven't tried that yet, im sure i'll get in a right mess, but think will give it ago tomorrow.
    Was thinking of changing her feeding time, but can't guarentee when Mark gets home, so may still be doing it alone

14. polo_princess

polo_princess ♥ Brookes Mummy ♥

Thats how we started, me feeding Brooke on my lap, now we wither do it in her bumbo or her bounct chair thing.

15. luvbunsazzle

Cheers for all the replies girls. Shall try her on my lap tomorrow.
    x

16. XKatX

XKatX Well-Known Member

Perhaps she just isn't ready for food yet. Maybe she tolerates when you're both there because of all the attention she's getting. When it's just you, she's not interested because she just doesn't need the food.
    Remember the guidelines for weaning is 6 months, so if you don't feed her until then, she is getting all she needs from milk. Maybe leave it a week or 2, then try again?
    Have you considered Baby Led weaning? It's quite good, as the baby doesn't physically swallow any food until they're ready, so that way you know that baby is ready to accept it. PM me if you like hun x x

17. princess_bump

princess_bump Happy Wife & Mumma!

how's she getting on now honey? x x

18. Loz75

Loz75 Well-Known Member

I agree - if she's screaming, I would think she doesnt need it. She may be satisfied with milk at the moment. I'm surprised your HV has recommended weaning already when the NHS guidelines are 6 months. I would leave it for a bit and try in a few weeks. There's no rush. She may in a growth spurt so needs more milk rather than food? The signs might be that rather than needing to be weaned. x

19. AC81

AC81 Proud mum of 2

I agree you need to show her who is in charge or you will regret it later! I would not give her anything if she won't eat - obviously still her milk feeds, but no solids. If she's hungry she'll learn to eat when you offer it to her xx

20. ryder

ryder Mum to Jasmine & Peyton

Yup... I agree, keep persisting... Jasmine also went through a period of time when she got upset about eating... It was when we started introducing more meals etc, I think they get confused/upset and just need to learn that physically eating food will satisfy them. They need to get used to the fact that they arnt cuddled while eating too... Which is something we also had a little struggle with cause Jas is quite clingy! lol

Good luck... if she wont eat purees, I def wouldnt try finger foods yet... Purees help get their fine motor skills working to be able to chew and swallow finger foods properly.