What should go in my hospital bag?

pollydolly

Reaction score
im sorry if youve answered this 1000x to other FTMs!

It seems i should have a bag for myself and another for LO? :wacko:

a detailed list would be extremely appreciated! :flower:

also i apologize for tri-hopping - im getting very impatient and want everything to be organized :haha:

thank you so much ladies! x

you dont need 2 seperate bags , i never have, but i do seperate things into what ill need for in labour then what ill need afterwards for me and bubs x

I took 2 seperate bags as I found it alot easier so I didnt have to root in the 1 bag.

Id recommend taking more than 1 pair of pjs and something of a home comfort :)

Dont forget a towel and your washbag! I forgot mine and after having my little one last weekend the most embarrassing part was when the midwife asked me for my towel and shower stuff to lay out for me for my shower after birth and I realised I had forgotten and she went and asked the lady in the room next door if I could borrow hers. I was so upset and mortified! Xx

For me a straw was essential meant hubby could give me water no matter what position I was in. Also some juice and snacks for after. I got tea and toast but was starving !

Apart from that maternity pads, old pants or disposable pants. Nice comfy pjs. Maybe something to wear in labour like an old nightie but I just wore a vest top and could careless. At our hospital they give you nappies and cottonwool for the babies. Also I am sure they provided towels for your shower.

I would suggest some plastic bags or bin bags for dirty clothes from labour / baby. Also the shower room at my hospital didnt have anywhere to put toilet bag etc expect toilet seat so I took a bag in to put things on the floor.

Slippers, camera, phone charger, change for car park / snacks. Clean tshirt for DH in case he gets sweaty or baby gunk on him :)

I have the things I want for labour in a carrier bag inside my big bag so I can grab them - vest top, straw, hair band and clips, tens machine and arnica. Everything else is for after and baby clothes.

I have put a change of clothes For me and babies snow suit in a backpack for hubby to leave in car and bring in later when we need them.

Best to ask what they provided at your hospital .

Ours provides shampoo condition towels snacks and such but they don't provide you with diapers wipes or pads

I'm only bringing or myself : maternity pads, small snacks for labour, camera, nursing bra, nursing pads , phone charger and a pack of undies

Plan to wear the hospitals gowns because it's easier and then I'm not messing up my own clothes ,

A roll of nice soft toilet paper!!

I'm taking coming home clothes for me and baby, and I also bought a $5 black tube-dress with button-on straps for easy nursing/comfort after labor. If it gets gross, I'll just pitch it. I'm also taking my mini laptop, a book, my nursing pillow, a travel kit with general hygiene products, and I think that's about it. All of it fits in a small duffel bag with space for gifts/hospital extras they give us.

I've been told a bunch of crazy suggestions like pillows, blankets, DVDs, DVD players, games, food, etc.

Just remember anything you take in, you have to take home, along with baby (probably in a car seat) and you're going to be sore and achy. Your OH isn't going to want to make a dozen trips back and forth (our l&d is on the 4th floor) and you won't feel like/can't carry much either.

I'm taking coming home clothes for me and baby, and I also bought a $5 black tube-dress with button-on straps for easy nursing/comfort after labor. If it gets gross, I'll just pitch it. I'm also taking my mini laptop, a book, my nursing pillow, a travel kit with general hygiene products, and I think that's about it. All of it fits in a small duffel bag with space for gifts/hospital extras they give us.

I've been told a bunch of crazy suggestions like pillows, blankets, DVDs, DVD players, games, food, etc.

Just remember anything you take in, you have to take home, along with baby (probably in a car seat) and you're going to be sore and achy. Your OH isn't going to want to make a dozen trips back and forth (our l&d is on the 4th floor) and you won't feel like/can't carry much either.

I don't take blankets or DVD's or anything like that, food or whatever and am on the same page with those being crazy suggestions, at least for me. I'm taking my two kindles (one is a tablet, the other is just a reader on a different account), clothes for baby and myself, clothes for while I am there, toiletries and maybe my own towel because that's more of a pamper thing and I'm considering buying a HUGE FLUFFY one that OH won't be allowed to use (it'll likely be hot pink!) after I come home.

For me, a pillow isn't a crazy suggestions because the pillows where I had my son were nearly paper thin and you'd need 4 or 5 to make 1 pillow.. I'm not exaggerating on this. Each hospital is different but I've been to a lot of different doctors offices, specialty offices and hospitals and different wards on a couple hospitals and I have NEVER found any pillow (exam, hospital room or otherwise) to be anything but a flat pillow with a very cheap and rough pillow case. I'd rather have my pillow from home instead of a sleepless night. I'm also bringing a nursing pillow.

Our pillows at our hospital aren't terrible, basically like hotel pillows, but we only live 5 minutes away. My OH will be coming home to shower/clean/change and care for the dogs, so if I need him to grab mine, he can. We're lucky!

A special towel might not be a bad idea, actually. Especially since my home towels don't even go around me anymore. :-( who knows how big hospital towels are! Wouldn't take up much space either.

I feel bad for people who have unexpected extended hospital stays. I'm not bringing much, but I'll have a comfy nightgown and my own toothbrush. Its just the little things like that that make hospital stays bearable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->